THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Itching for a suppressed rimfire bolt-action

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Itching for a suppressed rimfire bolt-action
 Login/Join

posted
Primary use will be for pests and small game.

I've got an Anschutz 1416 and CZ 452 but neither is a candidate for the job.
The Anschutz is too valuable to thread and the CZ 452 has a 'tight' bore (CZ recommends against using subsonic ammunition to avoid bore blockages).

The Savage .22LRs use a press-fit barrel so I don't expect to get the accuracy I want.

There is the Browning T-Bolt. but I don't know how well they shoot.

Kimber doesn't make lefty rifles and Cooper is too pricey.

I'm hopeful that Ruger will produce the American .22LR in left-hand.

Are there any other candidates?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ452's are available here with threaded factory barrels. I've used plenty of subs in mine but no suppressor. If you want really low sound with reasonable performance try some Rem Cbee's.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CZ hasn't seen fit to offer the 452s with threaded barrels here in the US. They are available in Canada apparently.

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“Standard velocity” 22 is subsonic. Does CZ say to only use high velocity ammo?

Personally, I think I would try some CCI standard velocity 22 in your CZ to see if there really is any danger of sticking a bullet, then maybe have it threaded if it passes the test.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had fired both the Standard Velocity and Quiet loads from CCI in my CZ 452 before I read the warning. homer

No issues encountered and good accuracy:
CCI Quiets@50yds.

CCI Standard Velocity:

I'd really like to use the 'Quiet' load but don't want to wreck the barrel some day because I didn't notice that a bullet didn't miss but instead got stuck in the bore. shocker

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I threaded the barrel on my LH Rem 581. Gemtech Outback II. Consistently quiet and accurate with Eley Green box Sub HP's. Slightly more accurate with vintage Federal UM1B's. But, get an occasional "crack"...

The LH 581's can be had for a reasonable price.

Posts: 61 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one 'in the wild'.

Are they left bolt-right port like a 788?

George

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I've never seen one 'in the wild'.

Are they left bolt-right port like a 788?

George

Yes, Here's an old listing for one for sale.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/92...el-581-Left-Hand.htm

George, A left handed gun that you don't own?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Those 581s (and 788s) are left bolt/right port, which are just bastardized right-hand rifles, and therefore beneath a left-hander's consideration. Big Grin

I'd much rather stick to true left-hand actions.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cz452s in the Uk shoot thousands of subsonic rounds every year. We use silencers with them and virtually nobody uses any thing other than subsonics.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Cz452s in the Uk shoot thousands of subsonic rounds every year. We use silencers with them and virtually nobody uses any thing other than subsonics.

Subsonics at 1050fps or 710fps?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10/22? Don't they come factory thread. Mine is left hand friendly.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got threaded 10/22s already. I want a bolt-action.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever come to a decision?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am going to buy the Savage B22 and B17 once they become more widely available.

I expect that they'll be accurate out of the box; the cost of threading will still make them ultra-affordable.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Came in at the end. Mine is a Beretta 22rf. which came with a threaded barrel. I don;t know whether they are available in left hand though.
Peter.
Modified post 3/4. Sorry the rifle is a Savage II not a Beretta.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the new Ruger Precision Rifle?

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elkins45:

It isn't available in left-hand, is it?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:
Originally posted by Elkins45:

It isn't available in left-hand, is it?

George

Duh, sorry. Don’t know what I was thinking.

NRA Life Member