THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    My Ruger Hawkeye laminated stock split .. arghhhh !

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Ruger Hawkeye laminated stock split .. arghhhh !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yo !

I bought one of those funky left handed Ruger Hawkeyes (375 R) a few years ago ... gray laminated stock .. 20 inch barrel ...

I took it to Cameroon on an unguided buffalo hunt and also to Alaska for a Brownie ...

Sadly, this time in Namibia the stock split behind the tang ... first a chunk came out .. then a bigger chunk .. then split ...

Now my wonderful left handed rifle is out of action .. any ideas on how I can get a replacement ??? I just got home last night, I am a Canadian .... and my groups are now about four feet at 100 yards .. Frowner Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
We were always told laminated stocks are indestructible. I guess this just shows that lamination can delaminate.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Try contacting Ruger's Canada representative. They may be able to get your rifle restocked with an OEM laminate.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get a replacement make sure you have it glass bedded.
Or better yet, just order a McMillan and be done with it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

Does MCMilan make a left handed ruger stock ?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes Mcmillan still do ruger left hand action.

but the price to get it to Canada ...

i will contact Snapshot they are the Ruger service for the Canada. Carole will tell you if they have it or not ... maybe a Boyds can be the solution.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

Does MCMilan make a left handed ruger stock ?

Thanks,

Mike

They did and bet they still do. I bought one for my Ruger 375 lefty as soon as I got the rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume this works for a ruger alaskan left handed

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mc...ger-mark-ii-classic/

Thanks for all the help.

I will get one if it works.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be amazed if Ruger didn't make this right.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys ! I am still waiting for the repair depot in Quebec to tell me what they are willing to do .. ???? Also a friend's son here in Canada has a spare stock so that might work ..

And failing that, a chap from AR has offered to bring one up from Wyoming if he goes to Alaska ...

What a great forum !

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to me!

And it just so happens I have a very nice Accurate Innovations stock for sale that was made for your rifle.

PM me if interested.

MIke

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent ... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful about Canada US undeclared gun part sales pretty stiff fines and legal bills.

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is for sure ! Having just returned from Namibia .. even with everything declared and legal ... it still is very interesting when the Powers start looking ... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just heard from the Ruger repair depot in Canada ... four week waiting ... replacement stock is $325 Canadian delivered to Alberta .. not too bad ...

posted Hide Post
Richard,

That is less expensive than a McMillan replacement with half the wait.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, George,

Thanks for the original suggestion.

Richard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Just heard from the Ruger repair depot in Canada ... four week waiting ... replacement stock is $325 Canadian delivered to Alberta .. not too bad ...

not that bad. will it be the version you had or the new guide gun with spacer if you know?

Phil

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine Ruger doing anything other than OEM

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My amigo, Sir Phill from British Columbia just sent me a replacement stock . His boy had such a rifle and had Ralf Martini restock it and do a bunch of metal work .. so the stock was available .. It arrived a day or so ago so will see if it fits ... ?? I suspect that it does ..

The stock was free and Phill paid for the shipping .. now that is a friend ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock fits perfectly ... only lacking the cross bolt (pin) or whatever it is called .. so will glass bed it and get a pin installed ... and should be good to go ...

Thanks for all the advice and kind offers !!!

Cheers !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure that the metal on the tang is not contacting the wood of the stock. I have three Ruger guide guns and all of them had to have the tang area wood removed some, no issues with 416R or 375R.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it all installed and will now sight in the rifle ... Thanks, dirklawyer for the tip ..

Tight lines and straight shooting !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a good happy end for sure.

Phil

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
We were always told laminated stocks are indestructible. .

I was genuinely surprised to see the title of this thread. I had the same preconception.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sruffy,

how the new stock is holding?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem yet, but I must admit that I have done most of my big game hunting this past fall with my ancient 323 Hollis .. put together in the 1960's with a left handed Savage .. Douglas barrel and French walnut stock ... it has been repaired a time or two behind the tang ... over the last nearly 50 years ... I love that rifle ... Merry Christmas and thanks for asking .. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
happy new year.

thanks for getting back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from making sure the rear of tang does not contact action. what else can be done to assure this does not happen? I have a Left hand grey laminate 375 Ruger Hawkeye with the 20 " barrel. Love the rifle....I want to make sure mine does not develop the same issue

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bed action and keep front action screw tight.

Loose action screw big factory action mortise and it will crack. Acts like a slide hammer.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
Bed action and keep front action screw tight.

Loose action screw big factory action mortise and it will crack. Acts like a slide hammer.

Billu,follow this good advice and you will be good.

mine got that treatment and so far nothing to complain.