New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Caribou / Black Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy & I just returned from a 2x1 guided, caribou / black bear combo, booked through Atchesons with Stoney River Lodge, Curly Warren.
www.stoneyriver.com

We both took real nice bull caribou, plus I took a black bear and a timber wolf.

Everything was pretty much delivered as promised. Lot's of game, good people, a great guide, good equipment, etc. I'd go back and hunt with this outfit anytime.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steiny,

Congratulations on your hunt with Curly. Quite a charactor isn't he? My Dad just returned from AK as well and hunted in the same region but with Kelly Vrem. He and pal Jim Zumbo teamed up. Jim shot a real nice Grizzly. Anyway I'm glad your hunt went well! Keith

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the timber wolf. The wolves and wolverines are tough game to find sometimes.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steiny,
Glad you had a good hunt! And thanks for killing a wolf, they're all too common in the Stony River area these days. They've really done a number on the moose there.

I used to guide out there for Jim Harrower, who has a lodge on the upper Stony. It's a great place.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great area to hunt and glad you had a good one - for all would be Alaska hunters, please shoot more bears as they too (besides wolves) are putting a serious dent in the moose population [Frown] -- KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got it right Russ.

Wondered where you've been. Any luck hunting yet this fall ?

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
The last thing I killed was my cow bison this past February. Everything else is coming up.

Deer in the DBNF in Kentucky, with my .54-caliber Hawken flintlock, this next month.

The "big" hunt -- my buck & doe mule deer and bull & cow elk hunt this November, with my .375 H&H Magnum and .444 Marlin as backup.

Deer in Iowa (Zone 6 -- I'm going to scout this weekend, in fact) and deer in Illinois (up by Savanna, same place I went last year), both this December... probably both with the flintlock. I do have a bear hunt booked in Manitoba for next Spring, and I'd like to book one in Arizona next August that's been on my "schedule" for two years... but I'm reluctant to book much of anything after the end of this year. I may be temporarily busy elsewhere on the planet. I do have a hog hunt booked with Show-Me Safaris, with my .500 Linebaugh, for next March... but I'm increasingly doubtful I'll be available for making the hunt.

[ 09-19-2002, 04:57: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote