Notify
Tools

Y.O. Ranch
 Login/Join

<338Lapua>
posted
Ranch: YO Ranch

Game Hunted: Axis/Blackbuck Antelpoe

This is one of the best ranches I have hunted. The staff is great the guides are awesome and Gus Schreiner (one of the owners) is one of the best guys around. We saw ALOT of game and took some nice animals. I have hunted there 5 times now and want to plan another trip.

If you decide to go, request Don McMinn as your guide. He is one of the best hunters and one of the nicest guys I've met. The food is served ranch style. The food is great, but be careful around the cook, she can be cantankerous. The rooms are nice, and it's a nice place for the family. They have a swimming pool, horesback riding, and a cool safari trip.

The prices are comparable with most ranches, but the services are the best I have seen. I would be happy to be reference for this ranch, they are second to none.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
how about some contact information.....

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Web Site: www.yoranch.com
Phone #: 830-640-3222 or 1-800-967-2624
Best person to speak with is Gus Schreiner his e-mail is gus@yoranch.com

I just e-mailed them yesterday for a new pricelist. I can't reccommend this ranch highly enough. SCI and HHI both do an annual hunt there. I remember Don McMinn was guiding JD Jones and there was some sort of contest where whoever shot the largest critter they won something (sorry I don't remember all the details), but JD Jones decided who would win and paid Charlie Schriener to shoot on of his bulls (longhorn I believe). Now that's ALOT of meat [Eek!] . I have some pictures form there, one of the most interesting was waking up one morning, walked outside my room and there was a HUGE axis rubbuing on the tree not more than 15 feet away.

More game there than I've ever seen. I can't say enough good things about them.

Jim

<Bily Lovec>
posted
my lease share a fence with the YO, we stopped in there sunday coming back from a blackbuck hunt and had lunch at the chuckwagon. very nice place but i dont think i would say their prices are comparable to other areas... [Eek!]

<338Lapua>
posted
There is no doubt you can find hunt's cheaper than the YO, but they do offer great quality and great service. They definately are not the cheapest ranch in TX, but they also are not the most expensive (have you seen the prices from the 777 ranch lately). I thought the prices were fair for the quality they offer.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 - Years ago I was flying across this ranch and landed at what I thought was a deserted runway. I had a powerful hankerin to take a leak.

As I stood there taking matters in hand, I had the strange feeling I was being watched. When I looked around there were various types of antelope watching me from everywhere. For a minute I thought, "I must be in Africa!" I half expected to see a lion slinking towards me.

Anyway, I did not tarry. [Big Grin] Once the sumps were drained, I was back in the air where I belonged. [Cool]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I have hunted turkey and deer about every other year for the past 15 years at the Y.O. It is the finest country club shooting to be had.

[ 08-02-2002, 01:46: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Zero Drift,

What are you talking about? Their exotics are fenced on 40,000 acres. The have a smaller area fenced, but that is just for the safari picture tour.

I guess you can say they are high fenced but 40,000 acres should be more than enough for them to free range.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Jim:

The folks at the Y.O. are first class people. They have done a wonderful job managing axis and blackbuck. I have questions about some of their other African exotic heads. It appears there is a healthy put-and-take operation. Maybe not mail-order, but close????

I know one thing for sure, they got the biggest damn turkeys I have ever seen on this planet!!!

Jim - I sent you a private message...

[ 08-02-2002, 02:01: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Zero,

Got your PM. Just sent you an e-mail.

Jim

[ 08-02-2002, 03:24: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt the ranch next to the YO when I was younger with Carl Hyde, his dad Sidney Hyde owned the ranch then..Wonderfull country...

I knew the owner and his son, Charlie Schriener and CS Jr. who owned the Y.O. but they passed away here while back, and I don't know who is in charge these days, the family I assume..

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Okie Newton>
posted
I had planned on an axis doe hunt this summer. Some things came up and didn't get to go. I think the price was fair and they were real nice to talk to.