Tools

Mexico Mulies--safe to go??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Scott, read Arjun's Cameroon hunting offer I've linked here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...581043552#8581043552

You'll see he has referenced the Jihadist upheaval in Burkina and discussed the fact that hunting operations are ongoing next door in Benin. He also tells of how even though it's not the same area where the issue resides, it's only 50 miles away. Another country yes, but still in the same neighborhood. He'll even set you up if you want to go but advises the risks are not worth the reward.

I hear similar stories about Mexico. Honestly, I don't know enough about the geographic areas and where the hunting / cartel operations are. 50 miles away? Same area but just leave them alone and they will leave you alone?

I'm not an overly cautious type. I don't scare off of areas easily, especially when the pros working the areas say it's all good. And of course, the governmental listings of safe / dangerous countries are pretty much worthless and too general in nature to make rational go / no go decisions.

Here is the question anyone wanting to hunt Mexico or outfitting there needs to ask at present:

Does the recent slaughter of women and children by the cartels change this dynamic of "It's all good. Just leave them alone and you'll be fine."?

I don't know about you but for me it does. And changing my mind about it, regardless of who is representing the hunt offer, would probably take more effort on their part than they would deem worthwhile.

I've taken my wife and youngest son to Zim. Was taking my oldest son this year before he got sick and canceled. Taking them to Mexico near cartel activities? Not a chance.

Like I said Todd, when Texans tell me they wouldn't go, I start to wonder.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scott, read Arjun's Cameroon hunting offer I've linked here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...581043552#8581043552

You'll see he has referenced the Jihadist upheaval in Burkina and discussed the fact that hunting operations are ongoing next door in Benin. He also tells of how even though it's not the same area where the issue resides, it's only 50 miles away. Another country yes, but still in the same neighborhood. He'll even set you up if you want to go but advises the risks are not worth the reward.

I hear similar stories about Mexico. Honestly, I don't know enough about the geographic areas and where the hunting / cartel operations are. 50 miles away? Same area but just leave them alone and they will leave you alone?

I'm not an overly cautious type. I don't scare off of areas easily, especially when the pros working the areas say it's all good. And of course, the governmental listings of safe / dangerous countries are pretty much worthless and too general in nature to make rational go / no go decisions.

Here is the question anyone wanting to hunt Mexico or outfitting there needs to ask at present:

Does the recent slaughter of women and children by the cartels change this dynamic of "It's all good. Just leave them alone and you'll be fine."?

I don't know about you but for me it does. And changing my mind about it, regardless of who is representing the hunt offer, would probably take more effort on their part than they would deem worthwhile.

I've taken my wife and youngest son to Zim. Was taking my oldest son this year before he got sick and canceled. Taking them to Mexico near cartel activities? Not a chance.

Same here Todd. I was in Zim this past June and I am headed back in April but the minute I hear that a family of Americans and their young children were machine gunned to death in Zim I won't be going there anymore either

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
No way would I go near any of these hotspots. Too much risk and uncertainty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Comparing Mexico with Zimbabwe is the very definition of comparing apples to oranges. At least in terms of current events. Certain parts of RSA and certain parts of Mexico, maybe a more realistic comparison. Current events in Burkina maybe even more comparable to Mexico right now.

Which doesn't negate the truth that people have been asking, " is it safe to go to Zimbabwe?" For decades.
I certainly did and would go.

That some of my friends like you and other AR Texans advise against going to Mexico gives me pause. Both JGRaider and JTEX said don't do it.

That any hunting industry professional would dismiss or downplay client danger, especially for a market as small as Mexico I seriously doubt.

Grown men can make their own decisions as to whether a hunting destination is safe or not, and who to believe and not believe. It makes zero difference to me. I happen to live fairly close to the MX border, and have had dozens of friends and acquaintances who have hunted MX in the past. I've been 3 times to Sonora. I hear stories that would make your blood curdle, from VERY reliable sources and a couple of them used to be outfitters down there. One of my very good ranching buddies had to leave over 300 head of cattle down there, along with the ranch he was leasing, having been "sternly" told with various warnings, "it's a good idea if we never see you down here again". Deny it all you want, as the naysayers only know what they read, or are told by some salesman.

All I can say is proceed with caution, no matter what some booking agent or outfitter says. They're in the business to sell hunts. I can guarantee you that every time you hear "first time hunted", "only 4 tags available for the year", etc, etc, etc, take it with a grain of salt. It's kind of like places in Africa in that unless an outfitter owns his own properties, they are at the mercy of the landowners no matter what, and the landowner can and will do whatever he wants to do. MX is owned and run by the drug cartels, and nothing is going to change that for the forseeable future.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, whos ranch I hunted many times south of Laredo took his family to the ranch for the weekend, Got there and three surbubons parked and Mexicans having a party in his house..That ranch was in the family for ions! He was told he had 30 minutes to get whatever he wanted out of the house or his family would be shot before they killed him, He said "Im out of here, don't need a thing" They said they now owned the ranch so don't come back..I personally know of others that have been delt the same..Not to mention that they are kidnapping kids and ransomeing them for a $1000. with a threat to kill if they call the police..Who wouldn't just pay the grand and get your kid back...works like a charm and its happening by the cartel in the USA..Then 8 heads in a sack in downtown EL pasos main intersection, only a blurb in the paper, as the paper was afraid of retaliation...

And on an on, one horrow story after another if you live down there on the border. Tell me its safe to go into Mexico where the cartels own the army and the police. I spent a good part of my life as a Customs Agent and DEA agent on that border, retired from them..booked hunts in Mexico and Texas border..To each his own, some have no survival instinct apparently..My whole family was raised on a ranch and I owned a ranch on the border at one time.

I have 0 feelings for stupid people that play bad ass, but when the chips are down and they are looking at AR-16s they always want their mama!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Ray, your story rings true, especially for that part of the country. Scary, conscienceless people with guns - best to avoid at all costs.

I was tangentially involved in a deal in Chihuahua where much the same occurred. My information came from the victim and his family under oath, with my also seeing the physical proof of his beating.

A pecan and apple grower had some mail intercepted by the bad guys. They determined he had lots of money and beat him to tell them where. He didn't, and said so, but not before he lost the sight of one eye. So they then went to the ranch and shot his son - who didn't die - and a worker who did. Said we now own your ranch and orchards, and you cannot ever come here again.

Sound familiar? And this family had lived there for over 50 years. The gentleman was in his 70s when they beat him so badly. I have no desire to contribute to that system.

Many years ago my family had a ranch in Mexico. While I used to regret that we had moved away, I have since been grateful many times over that this is no longer the case.

Posts: 724 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of cattle buyers that imported cattle out of Mexico that refuse to go across anymore, and the stockyards in Laredo shut down for that reason, Ray Lambreth a good friend of mine owns those stock yards and he simply closed the gate, sold his house and move another family ranch near San Antonio..Its happening all over the place, and the cartel higharchy is moveing to Texas and Arizona to protect their familys as dog eats dog...All this going on and our Gov ignores it...We could wipe out the cartel in 48 hours by air???

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Just back from a sheep hunt...no issues at all.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Sonora in January for Coues deer. Business as usual, however there was an increased presence of military. We encountered MP's and regular army. Not sure the difference, but they wear different uniforms and drive different colored vehicles. Did not hurt my feelings to have them around!

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We had them "thick as thieves" 3 years ago in Sonora. Some of them came into our ranch in the middle of the night in two Humvees-machine guns mounted on the tops; set up roadblocks in out of the way places in our hunting area; even ruined one of our good mountain hunting areas by a patrol of them climbing the remote mountain ahead of us one early morning. They were friendly, but all business. Can't recall any bribes being asked of any of us. That surprised me, but maybe because we were hunters with guns-who knows? They did carefully check all of our paperwork. We were hunting with Borderland Adventures and even their seasoned guides were a little nervous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a good friend of mine won a hunt through dave watson for deer in mexico for this year...3 days before he was to go watson called him up said dont bother...cartels were fighting and they had a couple of other hunters they were getting out.

gave him the option of waiting till next year for mexico again or hunt on ted nugents place in texas....he said no thanks on mexico went to teds place....bob

Posts: 39 | Location: lewistown Montana | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I was hunting in Sonora 7 weeks ago and had no hassles at the border and found the average Mexican as friendly and helpful as ever.

The only surprise was how knowledgeable and supportive of Trump those who work on ranches were !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
We could not wipe out the cartel in 48 hours by air or any other method. We might wipe out a lot of cartel members but this is now deeply cultural and generational. It would simply self replicate. And as we are seeing today, it would be worse than the last version.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other issue to consider in Mexico is they are doing absolutely nothing to control Coronavirus; there was an article in today's WSJ that the AMLO said he would not force businesses to close or even recommend social distances/crowd dispersion.

We normally rent a house on the beach around Memorial Day; skipping it this year.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
We could not wipe out the cartel in 48 hours by air or any other method. We might wipe out a lot of cartel members but this is now deeply cultural and generational. It would simply self replicate. And as we are seeing today, it would be worse than the last version.

I couldn’t agree more

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
The other issue to consider in Mexico is they are doing absolutely nothing to control Coronavirus; there was an article in today's WSJ that the AMLO said he would not force businesses to close or even recommend social distances/crowd dispersion.

We normally rent a house on the beach around Memorial Day; skipping it this year.

I have been down in Cancun for a week. All restaurants and bars are open and they are making sure everyone uses sanitizer before entering. People aren’t shaking hands and in some places they are using handheld temperature scanners.
At the border between Quintana Roo and Yucatán they had a checkpoint with a Mexican team set up for sick people.
Let’s just hope they don’t shut the border down before I get home.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Agree with 458win and had a similar experience. Went on a Muley Bowhunt this past December with Agua Dulce Ouftitters in Sonora.

One key is to cross the border via Lukeville vs. Nogales. Much faster, much lower volume and fewer hassles. I was also surprised by how friendly and helpful everyone was. Also was shocked by how supportive they were of President Trump - didn’t expect that.

Had a great hunt, saw a bunch of deer, and ended up taking an 8 1/2 year old brute 30 inch wide 4x3. Earlier in the hunt I passed on an ~180 4x4 who was just too young. Beautiful buck but I just couldn’t bring myself to deny him of the monster he is destined to be. It was tough, but the right thing to do. Very happy with the ancient dog-eared 4x3 brute.

The ranch, lodge, food, hospitality were all fantastic. They met me at the US border at the start and returned me there when we were done. Never felt threatened or uncomfortable at any time.

Who knows maybe in a year or two I’ll cross paths with that 4x4 again. One can only hope.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, to each his own, there will always be surviors and always be those that suffer...Bottom line is you can't fix stupid...

The Mexican police, the Mexican Army? make you feel comfy? Both are entrenched by the cartel, all common knowledge with those folks that live on that border..

I feel mostly for the Mexican people, most of whom work hard, love their familys, and try to survive, and most have suffered as mass graves are uncovered from time to time..

Thats my last word on the subject, as there will be those that risk it and those that don't regardless of the opine of AR posts..Self replicate? maybe, maybe not. Ignore the problem? not the answer...but I don't know what is...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on a Whitetail hunt with gunwriter Greg Rodriguez some time ago in Mexico. We were with the property owner coming back from town and were stopped by a group at at an intersection carrying automatic weapons. Fortunately they were friends with the property owner, and we passed without incident. Their willingness to stand out in the middle of a public road in daytime with automatic weapons told me all I need to know about Mexico. I wouldn't go to that lawless shithole on a bet.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course one might go there a dozen times and no problem, but #13 would be no return, your number is up and your in a shallow grave with lye poured over your body, is it worth it? your call, more people were murdered in Juarez Mex adjacent to EL Paso, Texas in one year than were killed in Vietnam in its entirity..It goes on and on, not stopping.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120