Find
Notify
Tools

Marco Polo Sheep
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted

This pic is a really bad copy of a pic from a book by Helen Corbin about Don Johnson. The name of the book is "King of the Ice".
I think at that time, 1966, it was #2 in Rowland Ward.
Don was a friend of mine. I used to work on his planes. I've seen this sheep and the pics he took of the hunt. He was hunting with a Franco,a nephew of the King. It took 6 years to complete all the preparations for this hunt.
The hunt started in Afghanistan, rumor has it, they might have nudged the Russian border a bit on the hunt.
I just thought any Sheep hunter out there, who hasn't read the book might enjoy the pic.
Ain't that a beauty!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice , Thank you for the post.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tj which company has published this and is it still availble.nice ram regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
"King of the Ice"
Author, Helen Corbin
Copyright @ 1986
ISBN 1-879029-01-4
Library of congress number: 91-73982

Publisher:
Foxwest Publishing
2834 North 29th Street
Suite 1
Phoenix, AZ. 85008

It's an excellent book about Don Johnson. I know or knew, most of the folks and places mentioned in the book. I'd say its about 99% true.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ,
can you give us a basic run down of the premise of the book? I'll try to find it.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The book is about the life of Don Johnson after he got out the military, WWII. He was pretty well known as a guide and hunter. Also, a damn good Cub, Cessna 180 pilot.
Most of the stories are about hunting in Alaska but there are Chapters about Africa and Afghanistan. It's an excellent book. If you can find it, I'd buy it. It's not the typical whackem/stackem book. There is very little BS in it. I knew the people, places and some of the stories.
I'll try to get his son to let me take a better pic of the sheep. I think he still has it.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
For me, a dream unfulfilled. Thanks for sharing...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a really good video(dvd)on hunting the Argali,marco polo and ibex in Mongolia available thru outdoor visions.com named "Quest for the Mongolian Argalis"Worth watching.

Posts: 55 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote