New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got stuck in to the Roebuck!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted a hunt offer for a Spring Roebuck hunt earlier this year. This was the hunt I went on!

It's been awhile since I last hunted in Romania! So I decided on a Spring Roe deer hunt. Travel to Romania was very easy on Turkish Airlines via Istanbul. Turkish Airlines is gun friendly and I had no issues whatsoever. Infact on arrival back in to the States at JFK, NY an airline representative was there to meet as I stepped off the plane and whizzed me through immigration and to the Customs office where my rifle was delivered!

With my rifle permit procured ahead of time. Entry in to Romania was simple and straightforward. The customs and police officials spoke good English and were polite and genuinely interested in my hunting plans. Departure was equally easy. The usual checking of the rifle serial number and counting of ammo. One new twist was that the outfitter on my departure had to provide a letter declaring how many rounds i had fired!

I hunted three different areas within a three hour drive from Cluj and ended up taking eight Roebuck! These little deer are numerous and on every outing you can expect to get a shot opportunity or two. The hunt takes place early morning and evening. We covered ground by driving the vast hunting areas and once we decided that a buck was a shooter we approached on foot. On occasions, we also set up on hillsides overlooking a valley and fields and glassing.

Accomodation was in hotels and the food was great. Cluj is also a nice European city and worth a day or two to visit.

I was using my Merkel Helix 300 Winchester magnum which is definitely enough gun for such a small animal and needless to say it was very effective with 150 grain Norma ammunition. One was shot with a 180 grain Scirrocco handload. I was using the GUNSTIX shooting sticks and can report that they are super steady to use, far superior than any 3 legged design. For more information and to order a set visit www.gunstix.com. The average shot distance was around 150 yards with two long shots being 275 and 292 yards respectively. Long shots on a small animal off shooting sticks but very doable with these shooting sticks.

The weather was beautiful springlike weather and the new fields were lush and green. There was absolutely no concern of the war in Ukraine even though at times we were within 200 kilometers of the border! Apart from Roe deer it was also a treat to see two European brown bear one evening. They are off limits for hunters and the population has reached plague like proportions. I will let the photos speak for themself!

I highly recommend a Roebuck hunt either in the spring or in the fall seasons. It is a relatively inexpensive hunt, especially for representative trophies and you can shoot quite a few Roebuck if you wish to. This is an ideal hunt for a father and son or for a family group or friends just looking to have a fun hunting trip. Roebuck is the white tailed deer of Europe and Romania has very good trophy quality as well for the serious Roe buck hunter.
All the animals I shot were mature and as you can see from the photos there were some really old ones and a few good trophies too. There are even bigger ones out there if you are willing to spend the time and money. This was just a fun trip to shoot my 300 and field test the GUNSTIX shooting sticks. I was using a new Zeiss V4 scope with an elevation turret and it tracked beautifully and maintained its zero there and even after I returned.

If anyone would like information on hunting in Romania do reach out. I have worked out a good combo package with Marius for Red Stag, Fallow and Roe buck for this fall.

On to the next big adventure next week!

Thanks for coming along on the journey.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun: I think you hunt too much. Just kidding Smiler

Great report and congratulations. I would like to hunt Europe (and visit it) in the future.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jason,

Have you been speaking with my wife! She says my business is really all for my pleasureWink.

All the best.
Arjun

quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Great report and congratulations. I would like to hunt Europe (and visit it) in the future.

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Hi Jason,

Have you been speaking with my wife! She says my business is really all for my pleasureWink.

All the best.
Arjun

quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Ha ha…. I can’t come up with an excuse that good but I’ll keep trying rotflmo

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun, looks like you had a very enjoyable hunt. Some dandy roebucks for sure. Thanks for posting the story and pics.

Bob Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip! Thanks for posting it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!

Great report! I stumbled across this one today and I´m sure it was these very sticks that I used on my hunt, se my report here: link .

Yes, when you get used to them they are really good but it takes some time to learn the technique to use them as is it quite different from a normal tripod (or at least that´s what I think).

Really nice to see all those familiar surrounding, the hotel and Marius back yard.

One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Those six are great for still walking hunts
Deer Hunter makes one in Europe
Arjun’s stix are great

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arjun’s stix are great

I like them as well. tu2

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks there Arjun. Romania is a great place to hunt with some exceptional trophies. Your roebuck match that description!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report and pictures. still not sure about the brand of shooting sticks you used ....

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Gunstix
Just Google it

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered your sticks today!

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I just used those sticks in Namibia a couple of weeks ago. They are fantastic. I will order some as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your support on the shooting sticks Gentlemen, they are a game changer. Much appreciated.
Arjun