posted
NM Elk- Unit 12
Oct 1-5
Agent: Myself- Worldwide Trophy Adventures
Outfitter : Black Mountain Outfitters
Rifle: TC ICON .300 Win
Ammo: Winchester 180 Gr Nosler Accubond
Scope- Nikon Monarch 7 4x16x50 BDC

This was a hunt with an outfitter friend that I hunted with up in SD last year and took a 198 mule deer. They also took the new NM state record elk earlier in Sept scoring 442”!!!

I did not draw a license, so secured a landowner tag. I also had a number of clients on the hunt with me.

The bugle was on and this is usually the peak in that area, but we had 80 degree temps and a very bright moon, so the elk were only active very early and the last 1-2 hours in the afternoon. My guide, Hunter, had scouted out a big 360-370 bull that was spending part of his time on our property and part (bedding) on public where my tag was not good.

We were on him for the first 2.5 days. Sometimes watching him from a distance with spotting scopes as he was on public land, and we got within 200 yards of him twice on our property, but we never got to see him for a shot, just his bugle.

On the afternoon of day 3 we were glassing from a high spot when I spotted 4 cows in an opening 625 yards below us. Finally, a good 6x6 stepped out, and we all decided with ½ the hunt gone, we better make a play. We bailed off and made the move to get where we thought we should be, but somehow one of the elk busted us. We could hear them crashing through the brush, and then my guide frantically motioned me forward.

Two cows dashed across an opening, I dropped to my knees, threw up my sticks and waited as the bull ran out. Hunter cow called loudly, the bull stopped, and I waited for my cameraman to tell me he was ready. It was 25 seconds, but felt like forever, and I pulled the trigger just as the bull took a step to leave. I said “pull” the trigger because that is what I did, and I shot right over his back at 191 yards. He was in the wide open broadside, and I just whiffed him. I rushed the shot, never got super steady, and that is the result.

You can see the puff of dirt behind him.

The next morning, we got on elk and finally had a number of bulls bedded bugling occasionally when we decided to back out. Hunter had been walking around calling, and I had one bull pegged, and I felt like I knew within 100 yards where he was bedded.

We came back in early afternoon, and we were just going to sit back and wait for a bull to sound off. I asked Hunter if we could go get in tight on the bull that I knew where his bed was from morning, but he said since he didn’t know where it was, he wasn’t comfortable. While we were talking, the bull bugled from exactly where I told Hunter he was. I told him I could easily get us within 200 yards with the wind, so finally he agreed.

We moved in, and the bull bugled VERY CLOSE. We could tell he was up and moving, so we crept closer, but he shut up. They were not responding to calls very well.

As we approached a huge meadow, I saw a cow at about 400 yards and pointed her out to Hunter. We slowed down, moved forward, and then we could see a small group of cows feeding in the meadow closer. We dropped down, and Hunter found a bull just inside the trees. He stepped out and had a nice 6-point side, but his other beam was broken just above his G-2.

He trotted back in the trees, and we kept glassing. A bugle rang out, and then Hunter said he could see a bigger bull back in the trees and to get ready. Two cows trotted out and disappeared over a small rise, and the bull followed. Like the day before, Hunter cow called and the bull locked up in his tracks.

He was right at 300 yards, I put my first BDC circle in my scope on his lower chest, and squeezed. He jumped like he was going over a fence and took off. I felt good about the shot, but none of us really knew where I had hit him.

We decided to wait a few minutes before we went after him, and we reviewed the footage. I thought I could see impact on his shoulder, but looking through a 2” viewfinder at a bull at 300 yards, it was tough.

When we took up the trail we found blood, and followed slowly for about 200 yards and found him piled up. What a relief. He was not the 360+ bull we had been after, but he was a darn nice bull elk. After reviewing all the footage, we learned that it was actually the bull I had missed the day before, only this shot was 100 yards longer.

I was obviously very happy with my hunt, but we were very successful as a camp as well. The largest bull was 386”, a friend shot a nontypical that had a side that would have been a 400 bull if both sides matched, and another guy killed a 320 5x5 among other great elk!

This area of NM is super elk country with lots of rolling juniper flats, mesas, and great genetics.

Great hunt overall. The outfit also hunts unit 13 with bow and muzzleloader, and they have some giant bulls there. I am thinking about putting in to try to draw that tag next year.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very nice elk taken by the group! That first one is a toad.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bulls. NM is having as tough a time this year with the heat as Alaska did with the snow.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I watched the video for the ranch before you guys left. It looked like paradise to me.

From the results of the hunt id say I was right.

Congrats to all!!!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Congrats on some awesome looking bulls!!! Thanks for sharing!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice bulls Tim!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report. good pics of the action and lol, huge trophy photos

WL

Posts: 63 | Location: N.E Vic- Awwstraya | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. It must be a little trying at times to hunt for the camera footage.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bulls, congratulations. Did you get straight-line penetration from that AccuBond bullet? I ask because the 160 Accubonds out of my 7 mag have been going in a few inches and then making 60*-90* turns. Several elk, shot broadside behind the shoulder and the bullet is found in a hip. Even when no bone is struck they have been turning. 4 bullets in a row have done this. I've been lucky that liver damage has made them lay down.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Total straight pass through. Have had he same on 225 AB in .338 on moose.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that maybe my bullet isn't being adequately stabilized. Years ago Bill Steigers inventor of bonded bullets told me they had to be spun fast. I'm just trying to put two & two together. Thanks for your reply.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
no problem. I have probably shot well over 100 animals with .300 accubonds and I have never had anything except good results...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try the 180's out of my 30/06 this year for elk.

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Some fine bulls Tim, very well done! tu2

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great trophies. Congrats.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Tim! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bulls!

I love that big 5x5! Rare to see a 5x5 that big!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote