New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ukrainian Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I returned a few weeks ago from a red stag/ sika deer hunt with Roy Hrelja of Hunt Ukraine (walkabout Roy here on the forum). I’d contacted Roy back in February about a combo hunt, and we agreed on mid September.
I live about 90 miles north of Dulles, so I departed from there on an overnight flight to Amsterdam then on to Kiev, arriving in the early afternoon. Roy picked me up and we headed 4 hrs northeast arriving at a government run area just before dark. The lodge was built in the 1960’s by the Soviets as a retreat for their diplomats, and was more than adequate for our stay. We hunted there for 3 1/2 days, passed several small stags and was on an estimated 9 kilo stag several times on the 2nd day, but just could never get a decent shot.
After the 3rd morning, with the stags not roaring nearly as much (don’t know if the full moon played any part in this ), we packed up and went to a different area that held sika, arriving just in time for an evening hunt. We saw numerous hinds and 2 mature stags that evening without a shot opportunity. We went back out the next morning early and got a bullet into the 2nd mature stag that was spotted. I was using Roy’s Ruger American rifle in 30/06 as firearms are difficult to bring into the country.
After the stag was down our local guide Toule retrieved a trailer and was able to drive fairly close to tha stag and we loaded him whole and hauled him back where they processed him with the meat going to the concession holder. Roy caped the stag, made a phone call and we dropped the cape and horns at a taxidermist in Kiev, then headed to a different area to try again for a red stag. We arrived just in time for an evening hunt.
We drove about 30 minutes thru the forest to a clearing where they knew a stag had been frequenting, one of the Jaegers did some roaring thru a rubber tube, kinda similar to to an elk bugle but without a reed. A stag came out of the timber just after last light, but it was too dark to judge him, so we left without taking a shot.
We hunted the next morning with no luck, then went back to the main grounds and shot a few rounds of 5 stand ( which I didn’t expect to see ). Went back out in the afternoon with no red deer sightings, but I did miss a very makeable shot on a roe deer buck. Afterwards we headed back to Kiev for my return home the next day.
Roy, a very accomplished international hunter in his own right, was a great host, with no unexpected surprises or extra costs. I’d definitely recommend him for anyone interested in a unique hunt for a Manchuria Sika and also red stag.
I have a few pictures if someone would like to post them.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
A friend was just there and said it was awesome too! Congrats on a great hunt.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helping out with pics....nice deer!

Ukrainian Tractor

Government Area Lodging

Sika Area Lodging

Deer pics

5 Stand

Jaegers Chinese Motorcycles

Local Van

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting pictures Dinsdale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webster:
Thanks for posting pictures Dinsdale

Happy to help, nice deer. beer

Like reading these reports to less traveled places.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Very nice deer and seems like an interesting location! Congratulations!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great deer! Congratulations

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
great deer! Congratulations

+1 tu2

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote