New
Find
Notify
Tools

If A Legal Tiger Hunt Was Available?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If some country (say North Korea) offered a legal (in that country) tiger hunt, would you book it?

If so, how much would you be willing to pay?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any in North Korea? I would say 100k+ given that markhor are that and so are black rhino!

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have enough money.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
No, not in today's social climate. Good luck if you could. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am not a trophy hunter by any means.

So I have absolutely, positively, no wish to pay a ridiculous price to hunt a rare animal.

I will stick to hunting hundreds of buffalo.

Those poor sods never get a chance to decide how they die.

And be killed by the lowly 375, with one shot too!

Bloody hell, how amazing is that! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
But Saeed, think of your commission!

I think a tiger skin is one of the most beautiful trophies in the world.

Although rare, there are areas with too many tigers, just as there are areas with too many elephants.

Proximity to humans and loss of habitat are the main reason for the decline of tigers.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. The only cat I wanted was a leopard and I got him.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiger and Jaguar are two animals that convinced me I was born 50 years too late.

As to how much... right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were importable that you could get over $750,000 for the first dozen or so.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have tigers in North Korea ? Would be interesting to know the numbers and status.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would do it but couldn't afford. Love reading Jim Corbett and all the old school tiger hunting in India. Born in the wrong century. Spot and stalk would be the way for me.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
They have tigers in North Korea ? Would be interesting to know the numbers and status.

Grizz

Jack Atcheson Sr wrote a very good hunting book and one of the chapters was about his time in n Korea and how he tried to hunt the tigers there.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
I would do it but couldn't afford. Love reading Jim Corbett and all the old school tiger hunting in India. Born in the wrong century. Spot and stalk would be the way for me.

I cut my eyeteeth on Jim Corbett's books.

Could you imagine sitting in a rickety tree stand in dense jungle all night a few yards from human remains waiting for a maneater to show?

That has to be the ultimate excitement in hunting.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
BH63

If I had the financial means I would hunt a tiger if legal but not in North Korea for obvious reasons. Siberian tigers are native to North Korea but the population throughout their whole range is thought to only be in the 300's. Since North Korea is so undeveloped it would be interesting to see what actually might be there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tiger claw is good book
And so is Blue Tiger

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
I would hunt one for sure. Not sure I could afford it but yea I'm in.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll try and find some pictures from when my uncle was in Vietnam. They killed one on a patrol one night. Another unit found one dead that had tripped a couple claymores they had set.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
They have them in South Africa on some of the same farms they conduct contained Lion hunts. Unreal what some people call hunting.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://ezine.nitroexpress.info...Asia-PDF/Asia309.pdf

My friend (Sam)shot five tigers during his life and his wife (Rose) shot two.He gave me the DVD of one of his and Rose's hunts which was converted from old film.

He said tiger hunting was the best.

Link has his "Maneater of Bastar story".

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9364 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I had the financial means I would hunt a tiger if legal but not in North Korea for obvious reasons.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36551 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a photo of a Siberian tiger legally taken in the 1990s. Yeltsin signed the permit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price was significantly north of $100K at the time, if I recall correctly.

I think it would be easy to get $500K today, and $1 million isn't out of the question. If even half of the money were used for legitimate tiger conservation efforts (not just stupid "awareness" work), it would be a net win for the species.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I wouldn't give to go back in time 60-70 years ago, even for just a couple years. Knowing then what you know now, I'd be all over Tiger hunting, old school African Safaris, big brown bear, Polar Bear, everything. I'd also make sure to make enough of the right investments (ala Back to the Future).

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also gobble up a bunch of guns that I only wish I could afford today.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. A real hunt also. Or do land mines count as fences Wink. Don't forget a real lion hunt will cost you more or less $100.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What a great story

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:

I cut my eyeteeth on Jim Corbett's books.

Could you imagine sitting in a rickety tree stand in dense jungle all night a few yards from human remains waiting for a maneater to show?

That has to be the ultimate excitement in hunting.

BH63

His tiger hunts are pure adrenaline rushes. The description of some are pure craziness and folks wouldn't even attempt now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tigerhunting on foot in the jungle was the most dangerous kind of hunting available. Only survivors ended up writing a book about it.

The thought is romantic. Reality could be a nightmare.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent book on Maneating Siberian Tiger,
The Tiger, A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jim Corbett was indeed the "Real Deal". I have my own doubts about Kenneth Anderson's claimed exploits;but damned good reading just the same.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
I’ll try and find some pictures from when my uncle was in Vietnam. They killed one on a patrol one night. Another unit found one dead that had tripped a couple claymores they had set.

There are reports in Vietnamese and Cambodian press that there are more Tigers than thought in the jungles there. Not here in Thailand, the people eat any animal they can catch.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would guess that Thailand still has a few tigers left with in remote areas. And I would bet Laos and Myanmar also have some.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Big game hunting in Manchuria
One episode describes tracking tiger in snow with friend, splitting up and then later on finding blood and friend gone

Another story ( early 19th century) I read about tiger hunting ( caspian subspecies )
in Amu-Darja and Syr-Darja delta ( reeds/tall grass/swamp country)

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeyeshooter thailand is a beautiful country. You’re right though they will eat anything. It is a place I need to get back to I’ve only spent about 3 weeks in 2 trips.

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
I think personally Tigers and Jaguars need a break, they’re two of the most beautiful animals alive and by no means thriving, there is no such thing as an area with too much of either. As apex predators their population collapses faster than it builds when the going gets tough, and prey and habitat get sparse.

I wouldn’t be surprised if both are extinct in the true wild 100 years the rate we’re going. It’s spectacular that the Jaguar has a toe hold in the US again, but I’ve already read posts by people trying to be the first to kill one in the lower 48 in decades. That is the saddest part of our sport, we have to know when it’s appropriate and is a harvest, and when it’s destruction or we’ll sink our own ship.

I also think that if a hunter legally took a Tiger, it could be the end of travelling hunting as it absolutely would be the biggest hunting story in the media of the last century. Lastly, I sincerely mean it if I had a million of fun money to hunt an imaginary legal Tiger tag, I would spend it buying and fighting to protect their habitat and educate the public instead of killing one.

Believe me as an outfitter I understand the argument about hunting dollars being the fuel of conservation, but in this case they’re too far down the wrong path already due to humanity’s activities as a whole.

When the beautiful monsters are gone the mystery and intrigue dies with them. It’d be killing what people like us love.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are more jaguars than you think in South America. Legalizing jaguar sport hunting in South America is perhaps the only way to save them in the long run. Big estancias hire tigreros to trap and kill jaguars to protect the cattle. If a rancher knew he could pocket $50-100k per cat, he'd surely take a different view. It might also affect how much land is cleared for cattle in the first place, or at least how it is cleared (i.e., maybe ranchers could be convinced to leave larger habitat strips in place).

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
Could be, I just worry it’s too far gone, the timber cutting, mining, ranching. The cats killed for cattle killing are the fragment, it’s the habitat destruction, which admittedly you address, that’s the real issue. I feel there’s no way to stop illegal timber falling and mining companies with a handful of jaguar tags, I think we’d just kill more jaguars in the end. But, I’m no expert on Jaguars, I spent a good deal of time wishing to see one while in the Amazon on several trips. Only saw an orphan cub at a sanctuary unfortuantley. Also not sure about Brazil’s new president and his interest in conservation.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
I have read reports that there are more live tigers in the hands of private collectors than there are in the wild.

Too bad, tigers have no issues with eating people, otherwise they could be successfully replenished from those in captivity.

I would think North Korea, with it's totalitarian, dictatorial government would have plenty of tigers, since killing a tiger illegally would probably get you the death penalty carried out immediately.

I've been reading some old accounts of how locals set up trip wires to fire bolts from homemade cross bows in order to kill marauding tigers.

In Chiang Mai, Thailand a few years ago, I saw a couple of young men on a motorbike. One of them was carrying an evil looking crossbow, that appears to have been made from a leaf spring of a truck. There was some wicked looking metal bolts as well. So maybe there are some old fashioned tiger hunters out there.

As for the rest of us, we can still dream, though.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Who were the two brothers from Arizona or New Mexico that were among the last jaguar hunters. They hunted with their hounds all throughout North and South America. I read an article about them two or three years ago in Shooting Sportsmen or Sporting Classic. If I remember correctly, they were hunting Jaguars in North America up until the 1980's.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm like Saeed and love to hunt buffalo, but I'd give a whole lot to hunt a tiger. One of my friends has two full body mounts and they are incredible. Also, when I was a kid there was a businessman in our town that hunted everything, everywhere. He had a "lodge" on his farm about 10 milkes out of town and had most of his mounts in the lodge, including a tiger, all of which was amazing to an 11 year old kid.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
North Korea has very good sika deer hunting as well. A former Indian diplomat friend said that they were given great service and treated like royalty in the 1980s. I am sure that was because of India's political status at that time.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote