Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Bear with Joe Troyer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi my two sons and I went hunting black bear with Lil Joe Troyer in New Mexico last week. We had a great time and each of my sons (I went as an observer) got good black bears. Since we did a 2x1 hunt and it was a 5 day hunt each son really only had a 2 1/2 day hunt. Our guide, Ty was absolutely awesome as was Joe. To say hunting bears with dogs is exciting would be an understatement. My oldest son is a former Army Ranger, my youngest son is in pretty good shape as well, but even though the dogs do most of the work, getting to a bear on Capitan Mountain can be daunting. It's rough country. The guides made sure we kept to a pace that was reasonable for us, yet still were intent on us getting our bears.

Hunting with Joe was like a hunting trip with an extended family. Joe's wife Shelly and Ty's significant other (wife?) Nikki were in camp with us as well as Ty's son Quentin, as well as Ty's Dad and their friend Dwayne. My sons and I loved the atmosphere and friendliness, yet when the morning started, hunting was deadly serious.

Here's a photo of my son Eric's bear taking on the fourth day.

A link to Joe Troyer's web page is here ...

http://www.liljoesbiggamehunts.com/

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great hunt.

I find hunting bears with hounds a great time.

My son and I are on schedule to go out with my buddies mid September here in Wis. we both have tags.

I have been on many bear hound hunts they are a blast for sure.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Glad you all had a good hunt. Hunting with dogs is a really exciting way to hunt.
Congrats!

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
+1 on hunting bear with hounds. I hunted black bear with hounds this past spring with Doug McMann (www.skinnercreekhunts.com) and had the time of my life. Super exciting and physically demanding.

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing your experience.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Congratulations to your sons sounds like you guys has an amazing time, I came back from the Troyer camp this past week and it was an amazing time, we had some great races and ended up killing a beautiful sun-bleached chocolate and had a chase for a monster on the last day that was just remarkable.

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great trip!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

It was great meet you and your sons in the camp that week. You guys were enjoyable company.

As far as the hunt itself goes I'll echo Chuck. Joe Troyer and his family and staff were first class in their treatment of us. We felt we were friends and family rather than just clients to satisfy.

I'd recommend them to anyone that wishes to hunt bears or cats with dogs.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks tanks, you were a pleasure to hunt with and it was great to meet you. Best of luck in your upcoming hunts!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations well done .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote