Notify
Tools

Spruce Mountain Lodge Maine 2000
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Black Bear

Steve Cole owner/guide

Mixed results. My hunting partner took a wonderful bear the first evening. On my second trip I passed on a mid sized bear the first morning. The food was wonderful and the lodge all that could be hoped for.

Steve makes his money hunting with dogs. The dog hunts were 100% successful and I would recommend the lodge for those who wish to hunt with hounds.

On the down side, hunting over bait is clearly a secondary option. I saw no bear at all 7 of 9 days there (in fairness is was stormy and raining sevearl days). The guide's assistant failed to place bait in the bait bucket I was hunting over one day (gee no bear came?). My hunting partner's bear was dressed out by the guide's son who had "never been let do this before".

And worst off all one of the guide's permanate tree stands literally fell out from underneath me. His comment was "That damn stand did the same thing to a guy last year!"

I should have known something was wrong when every reference provided gave great reviews - but only for hunting with hounds....

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I am going bear hunting at the end of August and will be in Brownville, Mine. I love it up there, I live in CT for now.I will be hunting over bait and will hunt will 7 mountain guide service, they are the salt of the earth and really go out of the way for there hunters.And I would just mention the best food I have ever ate and more food than a bear could eat. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote