New
Find
Notify
Tools

D. Nelson's King Ranch Hunt
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
[Posting story and photos for D.Nelson}.

Valentine’s Hunt

Two days of Nilgai hunting on the Norias Division of the King Ranch. I can’t think of a better way to spend Valentine’s Day.

My husband and I, along with another couple had been invited on this hunt through the generosity of another friend who has special status with King Ranch personnel. We could never have lodged on the ranch, if we had tried to book this hunt ourselves; we would have had to arrange accommodations in either Raymondsville (20 miles away) or Kingsville (about 50 miles away). At times like this, it’s nice to have bighearted friends.

We flew from central California into Corpus Christi via Continental Airlines’ torture chamber, the Embraer RJ145. We rented a vehicle and drove the 120 miles to the Norias Division. It was 4:00 PM by the time we arrived at cottages 11 & 12 and several large whitetail bucks were feeding on the lawn there. I was excited already. Our hunt would start the next morning, but right before dusk we did a short game viewing drive through the ranch headquarters’ area. The resident herd of impala and whitetail deer there were ready to bed down in the security of the assorted corrals, kennels, barns, houses, school, and church and out buildings. I couldn’t wait to see more in the morning.

Our guides, Gus and Justin, met us at the cottages at 6:30 AM. It was foggy! My husband and I hunted with Justin and the others hunted with Gus.

We drove for about an hour to reach the spot Justin thought we might find Nilgai out on the dunes for their early morning feeding. The ranch consists of 825,000 acres in Texas and spans from the Baffin Bay on the gulf inland for miles. There are no high fences on the King Ranch, just cattle fences. The areas that we saw consisted mainly of open sandy plains, undulating dunes, dormant grassy meadows, and marshes surrounded by scrub oaks thickets and forests of live oak and other native trees. Although most the trees did not have leaves at this time of year, they were so thick, it would be impossible to penetrate them on foot. We were warned that during periods of over population, the Nilgai had been seriously hunted both by sports hunters and commercial meat operations. The animals know there is a “price on their heads†and won’t allow for indecision or hesitation. They are very spooky.

Our vision was still obscured by patchy fog out to about 150 yards. Once the road got too sandy to drive, we parked the truck and “camo’d upâ€. . I was carrying Thelma, my trusty Pre 64 Win. .375 H&H custom built Robar rifle, loaded with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo in .300 gr. I chambered a round and had my safety on… we headed off with the wind in our faces. We slowly walked down the sandy road in single file; Justin, me, my husband, and our friend’s wife. We had only gone about 50 yards before we spotted a very fresh set of tracks crossing the road. A good sign. Then off to our right, barely visible through the fog, a cow Nilgai ran from the sandy meadow into the oak thickets. We stalked another 100 yards and spotted what appeared to be a Nilgai bull feeding about 170 yards in front of us. Justin set up his shooting sticks and told me to get ready. First, however, we needed to assess trophy quality. Justin imitated a Nilgai’s natural bark and the animal lifted his head and looked in our direction. Then the bull returned to feeding, seemingly unable to see us. Justin whispered to me that he looked like a good one, but the decision was mine. I had never seen a Nilgai in the wild and I’m generally not a lucky hunter, so I try to take advantage of any opportunity that presents itself. This being the first few minutes of the first day just doesn’t happen to me. (On a two day hunt I didn’t want to be too picky especially since we would need lots of time to help my husband, who is nearly blind due to macular degeneration, complete his hunt.) So, without any hesitation, I whispered back to Justin that I wanted to go for it. I had a good steady rest at a standing position on the sticks. The Nilgai had fed off away from us and offered no shot. Again, Justin told me to get ready. He barked three times. The Nilgai quartered away from us, looking at us over his shoulder. Again he returned to feeding with his head down. Justin told me to take him when and if he gave me a shot. One more step and the bull presented enough of a quartering away heart shot as a target. I fired and the target dropped into deep grass. I ran the bolt to chamber another round, and prepared for another shot if necessary. Through the mist we could see his legs flailing in the air. We hurriedly closed the distance. Justin carried the shooting sticks and I trotted along with Thelma ready for an off hand shot if I had to. Once we got to within 20 feet of the bull we could tell he was finished. We climbed the pasture fence and walked up to where he lay. Justin excitedly announced that this bull was much better than he thought he would be. I could tell by his voice that he was surprised at the trophy quality. Nilgai bulls are oddly beautiful. The lower three quarters of his body was jet black and the other quarter running along his spine was blue gray. His body looked like a cross between a Sable and a Kudu, without the horns, of course. A Nilgai’s horns average 8-9 inches, this one’s turned out to be 10-2/8†x 9-5/8â€. They are set on his head giving them an appearance resembling a characterization of Satan. We were told that the ranch cowboys refer to them as the devil’s horse. He was a beautiful trophy and now at 8:15 AM the first day of the hunt, he was mine.

We deposited my bull in the ranch’s refrigeration unit, and then trekked the rest of the afternoon in search of a Nilgai for my husband to no avail. We did see several small herds, but they were either 1000 yards away or they slipped into the thickets before we could get to them. However, over a water hole, he harvested a big, red wild boar late that afternoon.

The next day I hunted with Gus as a guide and my husband continued with Justin. During the course of the day we got to see lots of the King Ranch cattle pastures (blocks of 30,000+ acres). We saw many impressive whitetail bucks, turkeys, quail, hogs, and even a few waterbuck and a raccoon. I took my first javelina boar and a cow Nilgai.

And, at the eleventh hour of the hunt, after a few unsuccessful stalks, my husband reported that Murphy’s Law took hold. He made a 240 yard shot and dropped his Nilgai bull where he stood, of course, in the middle of a boggy marsh. It was a difficult retrieval and because of the late hour, the guys neglected to take photos.

We had a great Valentine’s Day and would whole heartedly recommend this hunt to anyone.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, great photos and great story telling.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWAMBO,

Way cool! Beautiful nilgai. Big congrats to Bob. Now for the ele.......

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
D.,
Congratulations on a fantastic nilgai bull... a ten incher is a "hoss". Nilgai are a favorite hunt of mine... hard to believe how wary and difficult to stalk they are. I've hunted them for the past seven years on the Armstrong, the KR Norias and Yturria ranches and enjoy the sport and the challenge. Nothing quite like Texas blue bulls in the spring! Congrats again.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunting!

I think my wife has a crush on Thelma!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark; I hope Bob has better results with elephant this year than he did last year.

bwanamrm; Nilgai hunting, as you said, is really fantastic...and surprisingly affordable. We were very fortunate to have such a successful hunt. Thanks for the kind words.

Bullet_.375; I love my .375, Thelma. She is my favorite rifle by far!!!! Hope your wife has one or gets one too!!!!

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report -- looks like you had a great hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Here is a neat link to video on nilgai hunting in south Texas along with some other clips. Richard is the outdoor editor for the paper and local TV news in McAllen.

http://www.richardmooreoutdoors.com/Videos/Hunting

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm: Thanks for the video link. I really enjoyed watching it!!

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt! Did they just buy those Impala and turn the loose around the house? Do they just stay there or is there a small high fenced area around the house?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer;

I'm not sure how long the Impala have been there. But I believe it has been some time. They are free range, but choose to hang around the compound of buildings. They are safe from predators there. We watched them go back and forth through the cattle fence with no problem. This area is quite a ways from the main entrance, and they can feed easily on the lawn there, so I expect they are very happy to stay right there. Was amazing to see the herd right there with the white tail deer too.

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That's pretty neat. Do they have any other free ranging exotics (other than the Nilgai)?

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer;

In l998 I took Aoudad, Axis, Sika, Fallow, Blackbuck (with my .308)and lots of hogs (hogs with my .45 ACP) at the YO Ranch in Mt. Home, TX. But I don't think those are considered free range, even though they range on about 50,000 acres.

Since '98 I haven't done any "Estate" or high fenced hunting. Africa is my thing now, with my favorite, Mule Deer, in WY or Montana thrown in ever couple of years. (That's the benefit of getting older, I think.)

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
No, the Y.O. doesn't necessarily count as "free range". What I meant to ask was: "Does the King Ranch have any other free ranging exotics (besides Nilgai and Impala)?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer;

We did see some common waterbuck and blackbuck, but I don't beleive they are actively hunted, as they were very scare. I think there are several nearby ranches that offer exotics, but I also believe they are high fenced.

Here is the address of the King Ranch website:
http://www.king-ranch.com/index.html

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The Yturria Ranch has free ranging exotics... I saw eland, scimitar oryx, lechwe, and waterbuck on my last trip there... saw one HUGE lechwe ram bigger than any I've seen in Africa! Contact Lendall Laxton at L&L Hunting for info and prices.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm ,
I hunted with Lendall in '01 on the Yturria. Had a blast!! He was a nice guy and knew the place really well. Myself and a friend both took fantastic nilgai bulls on that trip and saw some BRUISER whitetails on the place. Tons of hogs and javies as well.

BTW, great pics and story!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy,
Lendall is a good friend of mine and I've hunted with him a number of years... no place like the Yturria for big nilgai bulls... we just finished our annual hunt with him last week... seven hunters six big bulls and one cow in two days!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well done, Darin! What beautiful trophies and, it looks like lots of meat. I've always wanted to hunt nilgai and javelina.

BTW- While you were enjoying a nice hunt that Valentines Day I got 4 feet of snow!

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,
you lucky dog!! An annual nilgai hunt!! I would hunt them every year if I could as well.. they are just too much fun.. I think they have all the qualities of a superb game animal. Big, tough, beautiful, and damned good eating. They always said, if nilgai had horns like a sable or kudu, you wouldn't be able to afford one!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy,
A couple of links to past hunts...
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=855105321#855105321
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=687109924#687109924

- Rudyard Kipling