Find
Notify
Tools

Tur Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted tur in Russia?
The prices seem to be less than Azerbijan and I'm curious from the experts around here why that is. (I know, you get what you pay for but would like more details if available)
My bro and I want to do this hunt in a year or two depending on covid and availability with hunts being pushed back.

Thanks in advance,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hijack but I also am interested in this.
Also interested in feedback on travel logistics within Russia to reach the hunting areas compared to Azerbaijan and cost and reliability of trophy shipments ex Russia to foreign destinations.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM me if you like and I can fill you in.

Posts: 621 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR MAN,
PM has been sent.

30.06king,
Not a problem with piggyback at all since I'm sure a few guys want the scoop on tur in Russia.
I did hear back from an outfitter in Russia and he said success is 90% (weather, bad luck, poor shooting) but we have not gone into very much detail yet.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent thanks Smiler

Posts: 621 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Has anyone hunted tur in Russia?
The prices seem to be less than Azerbijan and I'm curious from the experts around here why that is.
Thanks in advance,
Zeke

I have hunted the Caucasus five times and have sent a number of clients since my first hunt there in 2000.
Azerbaijan has a longstanding tradition for trophy hunting, that meaning a better catering for the international hunter based on a better understanding of his needs and expectations.
Trophy hunting, specially for international hunters is a relatively new proposition in the Russian side of the mountains (Daguestan, Osetia, Chechenia...) and evrything will be more "rough" there.
Were I to hunt in the russian side I would double check the outfitter has everything right regarding gun permits, hunting licenses and, very specially, all paperwork involved with the shipping of trophies.
One note about pricing is that exactly the same hunt in exactly the same area and with exactly the same local outfitter sells 20-25-30% more expensive in America than in Europe.
My advise would be to book your hunt in Azerbaijan using an European agent.
Alvaro Mazon

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alvaro, your suggestion regarding picking a great outfitter swings both ways between borders. I know of countless hunters who have payed top dollar to hunt Azerbaijan and came home empty handed and with empty wallets. I think it is a bit misleading to say that because Azerbaijan has been hunted by international clients for a long time that the standards are better and Russia is a rougher hunt. Once again it depends on the outfitter chosen and I know of more than one extremely tough hunter who went and shot a nice tur on the very last day in Azerbaijan but only after a gruelling 5 days the likes many would have failed at. Regarding the lower prices for now don’t worry, there is already growing pressure to increase these hunts for outsiders by double because of the oversized trophies they are getting. The paperwork as always is an important part of shipping , cites and rifle importation and goes without saying that needs to be handled by a local outfit that is of high reputation. I think if you were to break free of your known ideas you may just find the grass is greener on the other side! Hope this helps.

As always choose wisely my friend Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day it will all depend on whose hands you fall into. I have heard horror stories coming from the Russian side, specially Daguestan, as well as from Azerbaijan, but I find Azerbaijan to be more professionalized towards trophy hunting and closer to Western standards. You seem to be a man of experience so I am sure you know what I mean.

I think that being basically 30 years behind can make a big difference.

The Russian side is definetely cheaper than Azerbaijan, and I believe it has been this circumstance that brought the OP`s focus on hunting the Russian side instead. If such were the case I would recommend him that he books the same hunt he would book in America but from a European agent for 25-30% less.

I am sorry if I have given the impression of being prejudiced against the Russian side, but believe me I am not, it is just from what I see and from what I hear that I form my ideas. But who knows, having hunted Azerbaijan thrice I might givre North Osetja a try sometime! Smiler

In Azerbaijan I would avoid Ismailli and Quba areas to the East, and hunt either Oguz (my favourite) or Sheki or Qax, or even Zaqatala.

Just my two cents.

Alvaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alvaro, no harm done friend and wish you all the best in your mountain hunts Smiler

Andrew

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I hunted Dagestan tur in Azerbaijan and Kuban and Mid Caucasian in Russia. Both were excellent hunts. The terrain on the Azerbaijan side was much tougher than the Russia side. If you go to Azerbaijan, definitely take a few days to stay in Baku and just relax and eat. The food is outstanding. The people are wonderful in both countries. I would be happy to recommend either outfitter.

Here's an article I wrote about my Russia hunt. Russian Tur Hunt

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
talentrec
posted 13 February 2021 10:49
I hunted Dagestan tur in Azerbaijan and Kuban and Mid Caucasian in Russia. Both were excellent hunts. The terrain on the Azerbaijan side was much tougher than the Russia side. If you go to Azerbaijan, definitely take a few days to stay in Baku and just relax and eat. The food is outstanding. The people are wonderful in both countries. I would be happy to recommend either outfitter.

Here's an article I wrote about my Russia hunt. Russian Tur Hunt

That's a fantastic and informative account of your hunt. I really enjoyed reading it. Thankyou for posting.
Dagestan Tur is on my "one day" list within the next few years hopefully.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Inácio
posted Hide Post
Excellent report, thanks for sharing Talentrec.
In August 2021 I will try to hunt a Kuban tur, in Russia. I'm going with Profhihunt.

I am always hunting

Posts: 31 | Location: V.N. Milfontes- Portugal | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
If you're going to be there, you should try and get the chamois and caucasian brown bear as well!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s good advice but he would have to change areas for the chamois because it’s not in Bulkaria region that he would be hunting the kuban in I would bet Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Inácio
posted Hide Post
I'm not interested in the chamois, but if I get a chance with the bear, I'll try to hunt it.

I am always hunting

Posts: 31 | Location: V.N. Milfontes- Portugal | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt, Inácio.

I saw many bears both times that I hunted Mid Caucasian Tur in Karachaevo Cherkessia, but not so when I hunted Kuban Tur.

I chose to hunt further to the west, as Mid Caucasian is expanding fast and I would say you have to corner yourself to the west of Teberda River to shoot a Kuban that has not been crossbred with Mid Caucasian, like is now the case with the region surrounding Kuban river, where Turs are now indistinguishable form Mid Caucasians.

Plenty of Chamois in both places, by the way.

Alvaro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the contributing posts by those who know way more than me. I've read them all with great interest.
I really appreciate AR Man reaching out to me with valuable input and info!

Thanks all,
Zeke