New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Boar Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, this was not actually a hunt but a shoot.

We were shooting at night in a jeep using a spot light. It is legal here to shoot vermins at night.

We spotted 5-6 animals at about 80 yards, feeding on a recently harvested wheat field. I was using 12 bore shotgun. Animals alarmed while we were trying to get nearer & started moving. I was about to fire when jeep bumped in a water course. When it got stable they were just disappearing in an adjacent sugarcan field. I fired but missed.

About 20 minutes later we again spotted a group of about 10-12 animals.

As we approached to about 35 yards, I fired at the larger male standing broad side. It dropped immediately and the rest started running to our left.

I pointed at the other large boar and fired but cartridge misfired.

A line of about 5-6 young piglets were following the adults. The second one took a circle & came back to guard the younger.

I broke open the gun and in hurry changed the left misfired shell in the right barrel and fired at the second one now standing facing us.

It again misfired. Now the boar started running again towards the rest of the party now safe in the reeds.

I reloaded in hurry, again the right barrel only. Swung the barrels with the running boar and fired. Its hind legs folded and it collapsed at the spot.

We approached nearer to find the first one kicking dust and the second one moving in circles on his front legs.

I gave the second one two more shots, one missed in excitement and second on the shoulder. It dropped for a moment then again started circling. I gave him one more at the top of skull which finished it.

Both were males and the first one a bit larger with small tusks. First was hit on the neck and shoulder joint.

First shot on the 2nd boar was on the backbone. Second on the shoulder and third on the top of skull.

I was using 2-1/2 inch SG.

There is another episode of the second day morning. Will post tomorrow.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyway you look at it it sounds like you had an exciting evening!

Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Orion>
posted
thans for sharin
weidmannsheil martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saad ,you hunt with a sidebyside shootgun?
With Slug or Buckshoot?
Waidmannsheil from Germany
HKW who is in boarhuntfever too.

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauke Karl W.:
Saad ,you hunt with a sidebyside shootgun?
With Slug or Buckshoot?
Waidmannsheil from Germany
HKW who is in boarhuntfever too.

Yes, with a side by side. I use buckshot.

I fear using slugs in half choke and full choke barrels.

What is you experience with slugs? We have bernekke and viri slugs available here.

Saad

<RAO>
posted
Shikaree!
you would not go wrong using either Bernekee or Viri slugs in your half choke barrel provided that you have modern gun with appropriate proof marks and chambers.
Both of these slugs have external grooves which collapse while slug is passing through choke.I would prefer Bernekee since it holds better and give deeper penetration but I would group it first to determine its range/accuracy in new gun.In my Baikal,it is lethal from 50-80 yards. [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
@RAO
You are right!
And maybe you can Top your side by side with a small aimpoint or so.
HKW

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RAO and HKW,

I will try them next time.

Saad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shikaree how you hunt in Pakistan,with a licence or is this not necessary?You ask the Farm�r,Landowner.In Germany we rent the huntingright of Farmland so only we can hunt in this aerea.We also have to protec the fields for game(wildboar)What they distroi we have to pay for.
HKW

one of us
posted Hide Post
HKW,

Yes, a license is required for hunting. It is issued on annual basis against nominal fee.

For a few animals like markhor and ibex a special permit is issued on limited basis against a handsome fee.

Usually farmers are happy that we hunt the wild boar and they help us with guidance. We do not pay them. Sometimes they arrange for the beaters to get the boars out of crops.

But there are landowners who object someone hunting on their land. Previously, the law was that the wild life is the property of government and it does not matter on whose land it is. But it is not always good to argue with the land owner.

Recently, government ammended the law to allow private wildlife farms and hunting areas. It may help increase the vanishing population of game.

As far as other game like partridges is concerned, many people do not allow hunting on their lands. They arrange a few drives each year for their guest and friends.

The concept of paying landowner was not known uptil now, but the permission for private game reserves may start this practice.

What are the average hunting rents and sizes of property in Germany? Do you pay rents for wild boar only or all other game also?

Saad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shikaree,

Markhor and Ibex in their native habitat! WHERE DO I SIGN UP !!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
Shikaree,

Markhor and Ibex in their native habitat! WHERE DO I SIGN UP !!

JohnTheGreek

John,

Look at this website.

http://www.shikarsafaris.com/pakistan.asp

There are two species of Markhor i.e., Suleman (Straight Horned) and Astor (Flare Horned).

Similarly, two ibex species exist i.e., Himalyan and Sind.

The Astor markhor and Himalyan ibex share same habitat area. The other two species are distributed in a wide range of mountains neighbouring Afghanistan and Iran.

Population of both has reached a number that limited trophy hunting is allowed by government and I suppose that CITES has allowed trophy import in USA.

I know a fellow who outfit for these hunts but does not have a website. Number of permits are limited per year.

Saad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shikaree,

I have seen this web site before and it is an outstanding one! I shudder to think what the price might be for hunting Markhor, however, when they are not posted like that. Especially when the price of hunting Urial is nealry 19,000USD [Wink]
Beautiful animals though! I pray someday that I might get the honor of hunting one.

Interestingly, importation to the U.S. might still be a problem as has been discussed recently on the African Hunting Forum here. There are quite a few instances in which the U.S., even though a CITES nation, refuses to provide a CITES import permit even if a CITES export permit may be issued by the country in which the animal has been hunted. Namibain Cheetah is a prime example as is the Wood Bison I took in Canada last February.

Best Regards and Good hunting!

JohnTheGreek

[ 08-22-2002, 00:20: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Wild Boar (Feral Hog) hunting in Texas has been on a varmint basis for many years. Now the popularity has reached a point to where the property owners have realized the value of their wild hogs and are charging hunters like they would charge for an annual deer/hunting lease. Some owners may charge as much as $100 a hog, some charge for use of the property on an annual lease- some included in the deer lease- some separate of the deer lease.
You may find this website interesting- It's the most popular website in Texas for HOG huntin' There is a lot of GREAT info...

TexasBoars.com

[ 08-22-2002, 08:41: Message edited by: CaptJack ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shikaree@
Hy Shikaree,
The minimum size of an huntingarea is 750 000m2.
Most are much bigger.We rent only the right for hunt in this area.This contract run mostly over 9 years.The wildgame belong to the landowner ,after a Hunter with licence is the new leaseholder the wildgame belongs to him.This lease give the hunter the right to hunt all wildgame ,folowing the Huntinglaw of course.
The money belongs to the landowner.
The hunter has also pay damages on farmland.
HKW

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that the 'Wild Boar' here in the US is basically ham and bacon gone wild.
In Germany/Europe is the 'Wild Boar' the Russian wild boar? It's my understanding that the Russian variety get rather large and have a rather bad disposition.
I'm guessing that the Pakistani 'Wild Boars' are ham and bacon gone wild like the US.
Tell me more, I'd love to know more about it.
Jim McCool

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hy arkypete,
You are right,the wildboar in the US was first a farmpig.Our is a real wildboar.In Easteurop the wildboar goes up to 300Kg! The biggest we got in our area was around 130 KG.Its big too!And how big goes the Virginianwildboar?
Waidmannsheil HKW

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that the Virginia Fish and Game dept. will hunt down and erradicate any 'wild boar' they know of. The pigs eat the eggs and young chicks of the wild turkey and grouse. To my knowledge, we don't have any wild pigs/wild boars in Virginia other then those we elect to office on the state and federal level.
I've thought about going down to South Carolina for a hunt, using my 45 Colt handgun. I'm betting that a 300 grain bullet moving at 1100 to 1200 fps would do the job.
Does any one know if the Russians, or any of the other, Eastern European countries have a set up/business for outlanders to hunt the wild boars?
I'd bet that the handguns are disallowed, how ever I have a really accurate 1886 Winchester rifle in 45-70 caliber that should deal with a big pig, nicely.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in easteurop is no Problem but you need an outfitter.I think hunt is allowed only with rifle or shootgun.With the 45/70 I think you can shot only on short distance.
HKW

<RAO>
posted
As far as I know,there are two varities of wild boar in Indian Sub-continent.
One is larger in body and agressive in nature and called wild boar;And the other one is called forest pig and is slighty smaller in size and is normally found in southern regin.
I am not very sure about it but I think we also have true wild boar here,since they are recorded as far back as human history is traced in sub-continent.
Maybe Shikaree can put some light on the matter... [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Wild boars in Pakistan and India are true wild animals. They are not ham and bacon gone wild.

The scientific name for the Indian Wild Boar is Sus Scrofa.

Here is a link to a website about wildlife of Pakistan,
Wild Boar

The photo on this page is probably not a true representative.

RAO,
You may also like to visit this site. [Smile]

Saad

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Shikaree

From the looks of your wild boars I'd say they have the same bad attitude as the Russians. I can not thank you all, enough, for the info provided. It seems hairy pigs are all over the place. If business allows I'll get down to South Carolina and pop one the 'wild boars' down there and post some pictures.
Again thank you so very much.
Jim

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Hauke Karl W.
The Winchester 1886 that I'm shooting is of recent vintage and very strong. I'm launching a 350 grain bullet at over 2,000 fps. I don't know the true velocity but will shortly. A friend is loaning me his chronograph.
I'm guessing that this rifle would be a 150 yard/meter rifle. Are the boar that you hunt shot at a greater distance then this.
For many years I hunted the Virginia Whitetail deer with a bolt action rifle using the same 45-70 cartridge. The difference from the current load is that I was using a 445 grain bullet traveling at 2,000 fps. This made a great brush busting hunting round for shooting through the laurel thickets as well as shooting from one side of a narrow valley to the other.
What cartridge do you use for boar hunting.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Shikaree

From the looks of your wild boars I'd say they have the same bad attitude as the Russians...
Jim

Jim,

Yes, they do have bad attitude. I have seen dogs ripped open on wild boar beats. Specially the lone boars happen to be very bad tempered.

Saad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arkypete@
Hy Jim,I use my Mauser66 in 8X68S for Wildboar.
The Boar could be very strong.Wildboar we use at day and night time.So I need a good scope-Zeiss 8X52 Diasta.Range is from 30 to 150 meter.
Bullet is 220grains Swifft A-frame.
Hauke

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
The wild pigs in Texas are both feral pigs (domestic stock gone wild) and true Russian black boars. Texas is one of the few places that Russians can still be found in the US. When we hunt hogs we are always trying to determine whether it's a true Russian, a hybrid, or just a feral pig.