New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Grizzly bear 2018
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't have the ability to post pictures. Hopefully Jake can post some of our trip.

February 23, 2018. I was minding my own business and getting my daily fill of AR tall tales and short tempers when this post appeared:

$7,000 April Alaska Grizzly hunt
Yup. 7k. Why?
Well I’m going in my Sheep area at a time frame that I’ve never done. I see a lot of dens in the fall in there but never been in there when the bears are rolling out! Figure it’s time. Wolf season is open as well.
So whenever I do a hunt that I haven’t done before I drop the price to cover my costs and time and go on an adventure. I’ve guided this area for 20 years, usually on Kodiak this time of year but clients didn’t draw any tags this year.
I’m anticipating time spent on snowshoes, mobile camps, light weight and some moving now and again. It will be backpacking type food and shelter.
Hunt dates are April 23-May 1.
If you questions or curious about an adventure into bear country shoot me a text
907-414-9471
Jake jefferson
Master guide 212

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc

Hmmmmm. This sounds interesting. I sent off a PM and arranged a call to discuss the matter with Jake. I had never met him or any of his clients but I knew him well from reading hunt reports from his clients. He gave me all the details on the planned hunt and mailed a deposit the next day. It sounded like an adventure made specifically for me.

I spent a month walking the golf course in snowshoes. Luckily we had a record year of snow here in NW Montana and I had plenty of powder to tramp down. I also spent a lot of time looking for folks with winter, wilderness, and backpacking experience (There aren't very many). I have done a lot of camping, plenty of backpacking and lots of winter activities but never once thought to sleep in a tent on the snow. Neither had anyone else! Nope. That didn't worry me. Smiler

I had the right equipment and attitude. Jake was fully prepared and extremely knowledgeable. We had no technical difficulties during our stay in the snow miles and miles from the nearest town. I will say that watching the plane fly away brings a certain amount of dread when you are standing on a frozen lake with snowshoes. Basically, the place looks much more menacing when covered in snow.

Jake and I made camp just off the lake and chatted while wearing tee shirts. He commented that if the weather stayed in the mid 40's we might have to hike about 9 miles to another, higher lake so the plane would have good ice for landing. I actually caught myself hoping the temps would drop so I wouldn't have to hump 65 pounds while pulling a kids sled loaded with gear.......

The wind picked up at midnight and my wish became a reality. The temps dropped while the winds increased. By 8am of day one it was a proper ground blizzard. Jake's tent was making a terrible racket and he announced an expedition outside to tighten the straps. I chose to stay out of the wind and in my sleeping bag.

Jake fixed his tent and was suddenly slapping my tent and urging me to emerge without proper winter gear. He kept saying, "Wolf, big black wolf!. Hurry! Don't get dressed! Just get out here!" I calmly told him I was an experienced hunter and wasn't falling for that trick on day one. His reply made me start to move..."I never joke about getting a trophy". Needless to say, I exited the tent with pants, shirt, unlaced boots and nothing else.

Sure enough, there was a black wolf waking towards us on the tracks left by our plane the day before. The wind was directly in our face and gusting well over 20 mph. I wasn't cold!

The wolf sensed something or spotted us because he started moving in a more oblique angle away from us. We were laying on a slight nob and the wind was now a cross wind. I held about a foot into it and sent one down the tube. The wolf started spinning and Jake urged me to shoot again. I held about the same and sent another round his way. The wolf collapsed after the 2nd shot. I glanced at Jake and he was grinning from ear to ear. It all happened so fast. Almost like catching a foul ball at a baseball game. One minute chatting away and suddenly being on TV. I had just made 2 lucky shots at a trophy of a lifetime in a blizzard barely clothed. A memory I will cherish forever.

After properly dressing, we took the toboggan and collect the wolf. Then we tried to make a small wall for shelter while Jake skinned and I helped. A generous helping of hot chocolate and trail mix topped off the celebration. We didn't see much of the sun or catch a break from the wind for the next 8 days. Our routine was fairly simple. Wake and eat by 8am. Walk 3 hours to "the office". Sit and glass the surrounding area for 8 hours and then head "home" for the evening. We settled all world problems, debated all sports finals, and generally had some serious "guy" time.

Day 7 was still bad and Jake informed me the pilot was itching to get us out early to be safe. My options were to leave a day or early or take the chance we would be weathered in and have to snowshoe 20 miles to a trappers cabin and wait for snowmachine rescue. I opted to cut the trip short by a day! It turns out the decision was wise and another front moved in with bad weather for the next week. We tramped down a 500 yard runway on the lake and waited for the sound of an engine. I almost cried when the plane came in to view. Of course, we housed a pizza as soon as we landed!

Would I do it again? Probably. Jake is a great guy and a very good guide. I would hunt with him anywhere. I learned much about grizzly bears and they are probably not going to be a primary target on my list. They are so unpredictable. We watched 4 bears in 7 days. It was fascinating to watch through the binos as these bears did what bears do. Whatever they want. Bear hunting on snowshoes is more like ice fishing. I don't regret not getting a bear. The trip was everything promised and expected. Adventure.

Harvesting a big, black wolf was an experience I will remember forever. It is a trophy I will admire many times as a lifesize mount. Spending time getting to know a guy like Jake was a privilege.

Happy Hunting!

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. Awesome trip. My week spent with Jake was top notch. He does a great job and, don't tell him I said this, he's a pretty good dude.

Now on to the important things: "I had just made 2 lucky shots at a trophy of a lifetime in a blizzard barely clothed. A memory I will cherish forever."

PICTURES OR IT NEVER HAPPENED!! I'm 90% sure Jake snapped a photo or two with his phone while you were shooting. His phone is attached to him. Those are priceless photos.

Great job, thanks for sharing a what sounds like a fun hunt.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of my best memories are trips I didn't get my primary animal, but in this case, a wolf something most of us only dream about. Saw one at 500 yards on a moose stalk in the Yukon and didn't want to blow the moose stalk. Saw another on a moose hunt in AK...thought I had him dead as soon as he cleared the last bit of brush, but he never did.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story that was and is a great trophy very few people ever experience.
Plenty of bears down the road but very few wolves.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Getting the wolf was a great bonus to a great experience. Congrats!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I agree, Jake is an alright guy in my book also. If you are going to be locked in a tent, couldn't ask for a greater guy to be with.

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It did happen!!
Bummer to hear grizz isn’t still on your primary list, was hoping we could connect on one so you could experience that rush of moment! Ah well, it was a great trip and I enjoyed sharing the wilderness with you! Congrats on the wolf!!

Master guide #212
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well even though you didn't get the grizzly that's a nice black wolf. It does sound like the promise of adventure did come through.
Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful trophy! Too bad you didn't get your bear, but that is hunting.

Seems like you had a great trip.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Awesome wolf, Rob!

Congrats, gotta go back for that bear. Smiler

Cheers,

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Man, that's a beast of a wolf - what a great black beauty! Is the tail missing or just curled back?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25mph winds are blowing the tail... didn’t have any weights to hang from it! Lol

Master guide #212
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a wolf. Congrats to both of you.
How long is he without the tail? I'd like to
know the size of the body.
Looks bigger than the guy hugging it.

Great adventure, glad you get to play those games. Wish I could again.

Thanks very much for sharing the hunt and pictures with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote