Find
Notify
Tools

Ukraine Hunting Season Update and pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellow Hunters,

As this is the first season ive taken a more serious number of hunters, i thought ill post an update on the Ukrainian season so far.
All has gone well and hunters have all taken the Trophies they were after (though some missed shots or chances at bigger ones) and as far as i know have all left happy. Also a couple from this Forum.
Seeing this year was a bumper year for wild mushrooms, it sometimes made it more difficult in some areas as people are allowed to roam freely thru these hunting areas which can make the animals a little more alert and scarce.
The Sika started Roaring in the first week of Oct and were still heard at the end of the month. We had some great hunts stalking these roaring (shrieking) stags in the Old Oak, mixed hard wood and Pine forests. I managed to get a few hunts on video and will try and post a few of these in the future.
Most of my areas are private but i do hunt one of the oldest and famous Government hunting areas in Ukraine, where they still have some Wisent.

The hunting areas dont have a culture of serious Trophy Hunting but i am slowly managing to change that. They see how we hunt and what me and my hunters want and expect and they see and understand the rewards. Im trying to educate these areas with regards to Game Management, selective culling and Trophy Hunting/stalking.
There were issues this year between two Ministries with the Ministry of Ecology wanting to stop Moose and Wolf Hunting and actually withheld issuing the Limits to the Hunting areas, in doing so delayed the opening of the Hunting Season. But in the end they just limited the number but for this year have still allowed it.
The Moose hunting is difficult but more successful in the winter when there is snow on the ground to enable tracking the Trophy Bulls. I have some licenses for this Winter (January would be best) if anyone is interested. Some good Bulls have been taken. I hunt some areas in the North near the Belorussian Border where they move across the border.
We can still hunt Wolf but they are usually targeted when prints are found and then they get everyone together and use the flagging method.
I also have some Sika Licences remaining and can always do some Boar hunts. Even though the African Swine Flu has knocked them around in some areas, i still have some good areas with Boar. A good time is Jan when there is Snow on the ground.

In the below link you can find pictures from the current and previous years with this years at the bottom.
https://goo.gl/photos/bqrqUBVvQu6MDLjq8

Roy Hrelja
Hunt Ukraine
walkaboutroy@yahoo.com.au
+380963577806

Posts: 51 | Location: Australian living in Ukraine | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love those black red stags. I have never seen that color phase, and apparently there are more than a few of them.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There are some great stags there but a couple of the Roebucks are Eeker

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I love those black red stags. I have never seen that color phase, and apparently there are more than a few of them.

Those "black red stags" are Dybowski sika deer.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, shows what I know. I do love them. Thank you.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote