New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boaring Experiences -Deer/Boar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunted with Kyler Hamann this past Monday 8/19 for a 3 day deer/boar hunt. This was my second time hunting with Kyler. Last January was my first time big game hunting and I shot a 230 pound boar. Here is a pic:

( http://www.mseanbrowne.com/pig.html )

This week's hunt was a great follow up. Ever since shooting the boar and sharing delicious sausages and loin roasts for the past six months with all my friends I have been eagerly awaiting deer season.

Monday we met at 7am, after looking for some pigs in some barley fields we drove up a nearby ranch to look for deer. We spotted a few does but then at the second place we stopped to glass there was a buck down below the hill top. I rushed and made a poor shot at about 200 yards and we had to track the deer a couple hundred yards into some oak forest. Kyler followed his track well and we spotted him bedded about 40 yards away. I finished him with a clean neck shot. He was a fork horn, kind of what I expected. I was so thankful we didn't lose him.

We resumed the hunt that night and after seeing some more bucks and enjoying the unusual cool evening we spotted four pigs back up the road that we had come down. We snuck up on those pretty close with a steady wind blowing to us. One seemed to spot us and we froze for 20 seconds or so and it went back to browsing. Then when one started up the hill to our right offering a good shot I took it. It went through both shoulders and took the heart. It bucked like a stallion a few times and settled down the hill about 25 yards. Kyler went back to get the suburban and I just sat and watched the hazy sun set thankful for my good fortune. Kyler's had pretty much prepared me for very hot weather and the possibility of getting skunked but so far I'm three for three hunting with him. I really enjoy his company as well and can't recommend him highly enough to anyone interested in hunting wild boar in California! -Sean Browne
-----------------------------------------------
Finally got a couple pics up from this hunt:

http://www.mseanbrowne.com/buck.html

[ 10-13-2002, 20:23: Message edited by: Sean Browne ]

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote