Find
Notify
Tools

Romanian Bear Redux
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I returned to Romania this spring for some unfinished business with a Brown Bear. I hunted in 2014, came home Bear-less, but it was my fault, not Marius. I wounded a running Bear on the first day. A huge Bear … Let’s not dwell on the past.

So, after some thought I decided I needed to return to Romania for a second shot at a Brown Bear. After seeing the size of the Bear that I wounded, I knew this country had some serious Bears.

The day of arrival in Romania, I asked Marius if we were hunting that evening. Even after a long flight, I was ready to hunt. He said Yes, and explained that there was a good Bear coming to bait every evening around 10:30

In Romania it is legal to hunt at night and the Brown Bear hunts in the Spring are baited hunts, similar to Lion and Leopard hunts. In fact, I saw a lot of parallels in the two.

He showed me this game camera picture on his phone of a Bear coming to a bait. You like this Bear? 

Umm, yes, that Bear will do!

We met the ranger for the area and took his Land Cruiser up the mountain and then climbed another 20 minutes up the mountain in the snow. This Bear lived way, way up the mountain. There was still a substantial amount of snow on the ground.

Ranger’s Land Cruiser

We walked up the hill to the blind, which turned out to be a little different than the ones I hunted in last year. Those had beds. This one had a log to sit on!

Well, my back isn’t in the best shape, but I want this Bear, so I find an old jacket in the blind fold it up to make a cushion and push the log back into the corner of the blind. After cooling off 30 minutes later from the climb (I brought way too much stuff) I dressed for the cold night and crossed my arms and promptly fell asleep sitting upright on the log. Remember I had just flown in.

About 1:30 a “problem” that developed while I was still at home reared it’s ugly head.

“I have to go to the bathroom!”
“There is a pee bottle over there.”

“No, you don’t understand. We need to leave now!”

So, day one was over. I was tired anyway.

We stayed in a hotel high in the mountains that was quite nice. It was new, and a tourist destination I guess. Very surprised to see it there. It seemed out of place in the middle of a small Romanian mountain village.

We named this Bear “Snow Bear” since in the photo there was a Bear and snow. Very creative, I know.

Anyway we hunted “Snow Bear” for two days. Marius realized on the second day, that he would come circle the blind, smell us and then leave. He figured our odds of killing this Bear were slim. So, we came up with a new plan.

There was an area that was down in the plains that had a couple Bears coming in to bait. The owner told us that every day at 8:00 a Brown Bear would come in and 8:20 or so a very black colored Brown Bear would come in. He said the dark black colored Bear was a good Bear. So we decided to give it a go.

This blind was definitely not as nice as some of the other blinds I have hunted in in Europe. In fact, one of the most primitive. But, we were not going to stay long in this blind.

About 8:30 or so a very tall Bear came sneaking through the woods to the bait, he grabbed some food and got out of there quickly.

“Do you not like that Bear?” Marius asked.

“No, he’s too small.”

“That is not a small Bear. His legs are long, it makes him look small. That is a big Bear.”

This is why I don’t guide Bear hunts.

Ok, well, we didn’t see him again. We did see another Bear that I thought looked very nice. Big fat head, small ears, thick Bear. Probably would have shot him, but he grabbed food and ran off. I thought that was a big damn Bear!

Marius is thinking, There must be a big Bear here since these two guys are grabbing food and leaving so quickly.

Bear no. 2 came sneaking back through the woods to grab another bite and stopped in his tracks, concerned with something over his shoulder. He stood there for a minute, as he stood, I studied him and thought this was a very good Bear, I would be happy with this one. I was ready to shoot this Bear!

The trees exploded with a snarling growling Brown fury chasing off Bear no.2. Didn’t take a genius to figure out this was a shooter, especially if he is easily scaring off a big Bear!

He made his way back through the trees, toward the bait. I was shooting a Blaser in 8x68 with a Swarovski Z6i scope. It was getting quite dark, but I could still make out the bear. He stopped and quartered toward me, so I put the dot on the point of his shoulder and shot.

He jumped up spun around, snapped at his shoulder and was gone.

Marius asked about the shot, I said, it was good. Well, the Bear wasn’t in the immediate area and you don’t go poking around the thick “alder like brush” in the dark for a huge wounded Brown Bear so we left him for the next day.

Long damn night. I hate leaving a wounded animal, even if I am sure he is dead, but there was no other wise choice.

We returned and with the help of some dogs found him not too far from where I shot him. He was not dead, and he was quite angry! A slug from a shotgun, and a couple rounds from the 8x68 and he was down.

The autopsy showed that my shot went where it was supposed to. In the top of the shoulder crossing inside the Bear coming to rest on the opposite ribcage farther back. Exactly as I would suspect. Why it didn’t kill him was a mystery to me. We sat down at dinner and talked it over. Well, they talked about it, I sat there and wondered what in the hell they were talking about.

Marius related to me the autopsy results to me. By then, it didn’t matter. I had my Bear finally and he is a dandy of a Bear!

It is worth noting that my knees are pushed up against the Bear's shoulder in this photo. There is no trick photography necessary on this Bear to try to make him look big!

I am sitting on the Bears back leg in this photo.

That is my hand on his neck. Yes, this was a big fat Bear!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Nice report and very nice bear !!
Any idea what the bear weighed ?

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beast of a bear Wendell, beautiful colour too. Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and wonderful trophy! Glad to see you got back on the horse too.

I hunted Roe deer with Marius a while back. He is a great guy and guide who has a terrific operation. I look forward to hunting with him in Romania again.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Awesome bear!

So how many CIC points is a bear like that? I'm used to judging them in terms of feet. Looks like about an 8 footer?

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done!! Awesome bear. Thanks for sharing!!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, weidemansheil!
Thanks for sharing.

Have a good day.

Posts: 125 | Location: Deep woods of Norway | Registered: 24 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
Awesome bear!

So how many CIC points is a bear like that? I'm used to judging them in terms of feet. Looks like about an 8 footer?

I didn't measure him, I don't know, but I can say he was easily over 8', other than that, I dunno. I don't like to measure my animals for various reasons, but, hes bigger than your average bear! CIC? Don't know. We didn't score him. It took a team of us to drag him about 20' to the road. We broke ropes, fell down, and sweated like pigs (do pigs sweat?).

I think a 450 Bear would come out to around 8' (+/-). The CIC system is definetly different than the B&C or SCI system. It's hard to draw a direct parallel between the two because they wouldn't always match. three different 450 Bears could be 8', 8'5" and 7'6".

I am very happy with him. I was very happy with the Bears Marius showed me the first hunt, or I never would have come back! The running Bear shot that I muffed, was also on a monster of a beast. Luckily, I knew where I hit when the shot broke (top of hump, no spine "fin" only meat) and I know that Bear healed up fine and is living his life somewhere in the beautiful mountains of Romania.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Just for comparison's sake, these are like Grizzly in Canada or Rockies in the US. Same size Bear.

I think that Bear in the first picture, "Snow Bear" was 425-450? I do not remember what Marius said he would be. Nice Bear though.

We saw 3 shooters that one evening. The only reason Marius didn't have me shoot one of the first two was because they were acting nervous, like there was a big Bear around that would come and kick their butts!

There was!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Here is where he fell, where the final battle was fought.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
great report and super bear Wendell! That is a hunt I would love to do one of these days...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wendell! I was just curious as I've seen trophy fees based on CIC points for these hunts.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. Nice bear. Smiler

ski+3

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go!

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear. Slightly off topic question, but is there any season open in romania in early september besides quail?

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
Way to go Wendell. Awesome bear. Too bad you didn't go after him in the dark, could have been exciting. I see myself doing that hunt in the future (not in the dark).

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine looking bear, looks like a real big one too.
Big head, tiny ears, long fangs etc.
Well fed too.
Congrats to you sir,

Paint on that 'cruiser looks like the gold GMC I set fire too, same colors after the smoke cleared!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Awesome Bear Congrats!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntromania
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patricio Gaudiano:
Very nice bear. Slightly off topic question, but is there any season open in romania in early september besides quail?

Patricio,
In early September you can hunt roe buck, red stag and wild boars

Ing. MARIUS VICTOR MERUȚIU
Owner
HUNTROMANIA
contact@huntromania.com
Cell phone +40745280573

Posts: 286 | Location: Romania | Registered: 26 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fantastic bear Wendell!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations nice bear

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Great recap Wendell, thanks for posting a story from medieval Romania the land of Borat, very fascinating. The Bear looks like a real corker of a trophy and certainly bigger than your average bear even if you were sweating like pigs, it makes you ask yourself, "How much can a Koala bear?" lol, l must check out the Outfitter, l have only ever heard negative comments about getting ripped off in Romania. Great read none the less, Cheers.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bear!

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE