New
Find
Notify
Tools

safety in hunting deer in Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just concerned about folks putting themselves in that position..So should some others..I suggest you contact Jim Shockey, he had an interesting experience down there dealing with the Cartel who took over his hunt.

But to each his own on such things.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Just concerned about folks putting themselves in that position..So should some others..I suggest you contact Jim Shockey, he had an interesting experience down there dealing with the Cartel who took over his hunt.

The recent hunt he did here in Sonora was fishy as hell, good material for a tv show though Smiler

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManuelM:
quote:

The recent hunt he did here in Sonora was fishy as hell, good material for a tv show though Smiler

Exactly my thoughts! In 20+ years of hunting Sonora I have never had an experience like that and I’ve hunted areas with heavy drug traffic. I “know people” and they have told me that there are strict orders not to mess with the Americans. The exact quote given to me was “we do not want to wake the dog” meaning the US Government

Could something eventually happen? Sure, just as something could happen on your way to a hunt here in the US.

Unlike some, I’ve never been in a fist fight, knife fight, shot, shot at, or otherwise while in Mexico. Do you homework and go hunt with the right people and you’ll be fine.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the Shockey show and I am not convinced it was straight up. Seemed he was with some guys that were not reputable outfitters. I fly to Hermosillo, get picked up, drive to the area and hunt. Then out. Never had an issue and found the hunting exceptional.

I would not go to CAR or DRC right now to hunt, but would go about anywhere else.

Posts: 10129 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, thank you for saying what I was thinking in a somewhat diplomatic way. As I said earlier, I have hunted Mexico since 1980 and got out for a few years when it was too unpredictable. You are right on all points, you can't paint a broad picture on the whole country just like you can't do the same for the U.S. Funny how most people that condemn Mexico have either never been there or were there 20 years ago.
The bad part is the number of U.S. hunters registering through ANGADI this last year more than doubled. As a result, lease prices are creeping up again. I'll be heading down in the next couple of weeks to look at a new place still at 1/4 the price of hunting Texas. Besides Africa, Mexico is my next favorite place to hunt and I will go until no longer physically able.
Dogcat, If you ever want to hunt those Mexican whitetails feel free to PM me, I may have room for you.
Bueno Suerte!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seven,
Thanks for the validation.

When I read on AR about "don't go there" or "that airline is terrible" or "That PH is the best ever"- I really want to know what the basis is for that comment.

I have spend my entire adult life on the road. I have logged several million air miles (actual miles), I have travelled to Russia and Kazakhstan 40+ times, I have been to Pakistan and CAR and Cameroon and Egypt (lived there during the aftermath of the revolution)... Nigeria, Turkey, Israel and others....

However, I would not presume to tell anyone "don't go there" if I had not been there recently or had detailed first hand information.

My wife and I went to CAR when the state dept said it was not the safest - I contacted recent travelers and the host to get the real story. All was good and safe.

When the mess in Egypt was going on, I lived there and did not see what you were seeing on CNN. It was no big deal for the expats.

My wife was nearly car jacked in Baton Rogue --- 15 years ago --- yet I would not tell you not to go there as that is very old news.

For Mexico, we go with a local outfitter who knows the situation, lives there and is close to the military and police. I have zero issues going there. Same for Pakistan or Zimbabwe or Nepal.

Do your homework, go with a reliable outfitter, have Global Rescue in your hip pocket. Enjoy the adventure!!!!

If you cannot handle the imaginary risk, don't go - you won't enjoy it.

Posts: 10129 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by ManuelM:
quote:

Exactly my thoughts! In 20+ years of hunting Sonora I have never had an experience like that and I’ve hunted areas with heavy drug traffic. I “know people” and they have told me that there are strict orders not to mess with the Americans. The exact quote given to me was “we do not want to wake the dog” meaning the US Government

Could something eventually happen? Sure, just as something could happen on your way to a hunt here in the US.

Unlike some, I’ve never been in a fist fight, knife fight, shot, shot at, or otherwise while in Mexico. Do you homework and go hunt with the right people and you’ll be fine.

+1
The cartel has too much to loose $$$ by harassing or killing Americans. You mind your business and they mind theirs. That’s the way it works. As long as your not involved with the cartel, you have very little to worry about. I would rather go into the heart of cartel country than go to Oakland CA.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I was just in Quintana Roo 60 miles North from were the ferry bombing took place. They found additional explosives on another ferry last weekend and now Playa Del Carmen is on the State Department's DO NOT GO LIST. We had to cancel our trip to Campeche to wing shoot because it was not safe to travel on the roads.
I would not let my college kid travel to Cancun for spring break. People are getting drugged and there are many issues with people getting shaken down by the cops. Read some of the travel forums about Mexico. If you go there and act like an obnoxious drunk and break the laws you need to be punished but there are issues where they are targeting innocent tourist.

I had no issues the entire time I was there. I had my wife and son as well as three fishing clients and we never felt in danger. I was concerned when I put my family on the ferry back to Cancun but they had no problem. It was a great trip and the fishing was world class. There are not many places on earth where you can see that many sailfish. That said, Mexico is changing. I went there for the fishing. If I was going somewhere to sit on the beach it would be another island in the Caribbean. I would go back to Isla tomorrow but it would be for the fishing.
President Nieto has one more year in office. Hopefully it will get better with a new president. The last thing they need is for the cartel to have another puppet. One thing for sure is how obvious the Mexican people hate Trump.
In short, there are several places to hunt and fish where you do not have to worry about organizations like the Cartel.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from hunting the Goulds turkey (Royal Slam) in the desert Mountains of Sonora Mexico. We flew into Hermosillo and drove 5 hours east. I felt very very safe. Safer than I do in my hometown of Bethesda MD just outside Washington DC.
Just thought I would share my experience.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Likewise, I went down by myself this past weekend to put out some cottonseed feeders with no issues. Everybody I saw on pipeline road waved like they knew me. On second thought, they probably do.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't hunt in Mexico but I go fishing and scuba diving every year out of La Paz. Never had any issues in La Paz or the drive from Cabo.

We also go to Rocky Point once a year; that highway is well patrolled.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Mexico everything is fine until it isn't. You can't go to the police because they are controlled by the Drug Cartels. People disappear in Mexico on a regular basis. They will kill you for your truck or car.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing down there that I care to go for whether it's deer, bird hunting, fishing, or the beach! I spent 2 1/2 years at Fort Bliss in El Paso back in 68-71 and only went over to Juarez twice. Once was with a bunch of our guys to eat at a nice restaurant and go to a bull fight. The other was the day I ETSd and bought a bunch of leather goods and other nice stuff on the cheap to bring home with me.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Im a retired fed drug agent, I worked my whole career on the Mexican border El Paso, McAllen,HOuston, and Dallas. Last of the old horse patrol in the Big Bend Nat'l. park and I worked in Mexico, with short stents in So. America or wherever they sent me.

I was raised on ranches on the Mexican border and on ranches leased in Mexico. Ive been shot at and missed, shot at and hit, had the shit beat out of me and visa versa, depends on who gets lucky. and I can't imagine it being any worse today than it was then, but in fact its a 100 times worse, these people kill for the hell of it, the kill babies, the bomb, 50, 000 people have died in Juarez alone from Cartel Killings and most were just folks like us that were in the way...

This tough talk turns to horse piss when the chips are down..in that moment of fear bull shit walks and reality becomes life or death. Foolish talk and foolish deeds getcha kilt. because it can happen to anyone at anytime, and the cartel hates the American citizen... Roll Eyes

I will just carry your business card and tell them I know you....

And I thought you were a booking agent, roper and gunbuilder and cowboy. Now we learn you worked your whole life as a narc. What else have you done?

Don't encourage him Dogcat! His "claimed" endeavors are only limited by his imagination.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, you sound like a Drummond Clone, are you Drummond or so I have heard....

You don't have to read my posts, I try to intertain and make AR interesting and share my life with them..You make acccusations and piss and moan, but you have nothing to add but BS. you don't know me, you have never met me..Take two aspirin and get some sleep, your gonna get a ulcer worrying....At least be able to prove something, instead of cheap shots at long distance that accuse without anything to back it up...Just more internets shit that goes on with everyone who posts..What a shame..The green eyed monster at work..jealousy is all it is.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, Drummond was right about the mule deer hunts you were offering out here in W TX. If you remember, I grew up hunting that Frying Pan and the pics of all those giant bucks your guys shot didn't even come from the Frying Pan. I grew up out here.....there ain't no secrets.

I do notice most every thread you respond to winds up being about you somehow, and you're many "exploits".

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Whistling

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuBcDB4_e3Q

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Africa the PHs carry big doubles for protection from DG.

In Mexico the PHs carry AR weapons for protection from Mexicans.

Not for me.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
AZwriter: Is the fishing out of Puerto Peñasco worth the haul? It's about 10 hours from my home vs. 12 and change to say, Port Mansfield on the Gulf. Just considering it if I find myself desperate for a salt fix.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16338 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dogcat, you sound like a Drummond Clone, are you Drummond or so I have heard....

I take it as a compliment that you think dogcat and I are clones...... I’m not sure Dogcat will feel the same way Big Grin

This isn’t the first time you’ve thought I was somebody else Ray, the first was a kid from Midland I believe

Look, you can be whoever you want to be on the Internet Ray. I don’t care what BS stories you come up with and I’m not going to call you on it unless you’re manufacturing stories to try to separate people from their hard earned money like you were years ago. This is harmless, what you were doing years ago wasn’t. All that being said, I’d love to see a copy of your resume, it has to be impressive but I’d imagine we’d have as much chance seeing that as we have seeing a picture of these 40” mule deer you used to sell....

To the poster before me, might as well go to the TX coast unless you’d consider driving to San Carlos. I can put you in touch with people there if you’d like.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Got back today from a duck hunt 2hrs south of Brownsville, Tx. No problems. Lodge has never had problems. They said the cartels are no problem with tourists, but banditos are. Huge police and military presence in area.

How come all the dove hunting and fishing lodges have closed down??? I used to work for Hacienda Don Quixote, a hunting lodge near Lake Guerro.. The drug cartels came in one night, beat up and robbed everyone and shot the place up and burned the lodge to the ground.
My girlfriend has a rancho across the border. Her brother and his truck disappeared, never seen again. They left everything, ranch, cattle, everything.
If you think it is safe over there you are just a stupid fool.
The fella that used to own the lodge Don #$%%^& is still in hiding in the U.S.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I know, is that in 2011 I did a DIY Coues hunt between Tucson and Nogales and while I never ran into any trouble, it was hard to concentrate on deer hunting with all the warnings I was hearing from the locals in the area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
All I know, is that in 2011 I did a DIY Coues hunt between Tucson and Nogales and while I never ran into any trouble, it was hard to concentrate on deer hunting with all the warnings I was hearing from the locals in the area.

This is in Arizona, not Mexico. In Mexico if they want your vehicle or firearms they will just kill you and take them. Kidnappings of American citizens is also very frequent. Our State Dept. has put out warnings about not traveling in Mexico. I live right on the border, most crimes never hit the news.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point is, regardless of the level of a threat, just the Fact that the threat is there takes the excitement/enjoyment of such a hunt out of the picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driving home from work among 50% of the drivers texting and driving is likely far more dangerous than most places that are in the state department warning areas. Just do not have time to determine your fate. On our highways an event will happen without warning.
Can you say unwarranted domestic threat(Real every day).Mexico may have villians, we have our idiot drivers; both killers.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Point is, regardless of the level of a threat, just the Fact that the threat is there takes the excitement/enjoyment of such a hunt out of the picture.

I agree 100%. Right now you can buy hunting properties very cheap on the Rio Grande. In Texas. Good hunting but not safe to be there especially at night. The drug mules and illegal immigrants have paths through the brush and they will kill you if you get in their way or just to steal your possesions.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I was at the Marlin Club in Hatteras on Sunday and talked to several Captains as well as private Sport Fisher owners that regularly run down to Mexico during the winter.

I would say that 70% of the boats that went to Mexico last year are not going. Lots of reason but mainly shakedowns from customs as well as risk of fake contraband. Who want to loose a two million dollar boat. When the state department starts to issue travel warnings insurance rates increase. A few incidents of piracy were reported near Merida by some blow boaters. Petty theft has increased at every marina as well as overall feeling of insecurity. I hate it for the honest hard working Mexican citizens that need the tourist income.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
AZwriter: Is the fishing out of Puerto Peñasco worth the haul? It's about 10 hours from my home vs. 12 and change to say, Port Mansfield on the Gulf. Just considering it if I find myself desperate for a salt fix.

Sorry, just got back from Africa and saw this.

I fish in LaPaz; leaving on Sat for a week.

Rocky Point isn't good for much except renting a big house on the beach and chillin' out. Last time I brought scuba gear and did a few beach dives, but not much to see there.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't have to read my posts, I try to intertain and make AR interesting and share my life with them..You make acccusations and piss and moan, but you have nothing to add but BS. you don't know me, you have never met me..Take two aspirin and get some sleep, your gonna get a ulcer worrying....At least be able to prove something, instead of cheap shots at long distance that accuse without anything to back it up...Just more internets shit that goes on with everyone who posts..What a shame..The green eyed monster at work..jealousy is all it is.

I don't think Dogcat is jealous of too many people on this site, including you and me, Ray.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have hunted S Tex since early '70's when we would occasionally jump a
Couple of interlopers. crossed most every night to n laredo, piedras negras, Acuna etc. no way no how since the early 90's.

Call me a puss! Life is too damn short. Illegals began stealing game cams to hide their intentions in early 2000 period.

Ya'Ll go and enjoy but BEWARE your fate.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Bill:

Had a great trip to La Paz; we caught a small rooster, a fair striped marlin, and fourteen dorado, one of which was big enough our guide posed for pics with it.

If you like to scuba dive, it is a great place for that as well in terms of wreck diving. One cool dive we did was along a rocky cliff that continued under the water. Not as colorful as the Caribbean or the Great Barrier reef, but good otherwise.