New
Find
Notify
Tools

rainforest adventure in Suriname
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
as you know I like to explore new hunting destinations. This time I went to Suriname, a place where very few sport hunters are gone in the last 20 years. The story began a couple of years ago when in my Kindle I found the marvelous book of Teddy Roosevelt "Trough the Brasilian Wilderness" about his expedition on the river of the doubt. I was so fascinated by reading that adventure in the rainforest that I decided , as much as was possible after over hundred years, to follow his tracks.In Brazil of course hunting is forbidden and so the river of doubt was out of question. So I tried in all the countries around the Amazon basin. Belize was an option, but after mr Hill passed away, was difficult to find a serious contact. It was only by chance that in my research in Google I found the Suriname, a country that onestly I had forgotten, not only as hunting destination. I initially spoken with Norman Mach-Intosh, the manager of a local tourist company, Discovery Suriname tour, who told me was possible organize a hunt there. After almost a year of contacts, twelve days ago, with my buddy Antonio, we landed in Paramaribo, the capital of the country. Immediately I was surprised to see a city well in order, clean, many new cars around and a lot of friendly people. After a night in a confortable hotel, the Eco resort, the next day we leave by car driven by Norman Mac-Intosh for the interior. Immediately a neverending rain forest has appeared in all its glory , impenetrable like a green wall, that almost scares you. In four hours we reached an area close to a gold mine, where we found our very basic accomodation, a canopy of palms normally used from the gold diggers, where we mounted our hammock. The only way to take a bath in a creek running out from the forest. The temperature was very high as well the moisture. From that camp we hunted for few days, mostly at night with the spot light, walking along old logging roads and trails made from the palm cutters. My guide was Cafel a young indio very passioned and friendly.
I carried a Remington 12 gauge pump action, quite heavy but very good for shooting the animals at the short distance in the forest. The game is shy, and not easy to approach, but I was able to take an animal of which I not even know the existence the Paca, a big rodent, of about 15 kg. I also took an Armadillo and a Tamandua, a anteater. Seen tracks of Peccary and brocket deer but I have not been able to find one. We then moved to a very far area, about 8 hours with the car, on the Nickerie River. There the accomodation was a bit better, at least there was a shower, but still very wild. We hunted in the same manner. We also went to the river with a canoe for the Caimans. I've seen many but because of the high level of the water - we were at the end of the rainy season - I decided not to shoot to the risk of not recover the animal. But I managed to get one small in a pool where the water was low. I also took an iguana, a Capuchin monkey and an Agouti, another rodent smaller of the first I took. We got also a big wolf fish. This area if possible is even more pristine of the first, although there are around some local hunters which they look for venison to eat or to sell it to the market of Paramaribo. In fact must be said that the local people shoot only the eatable game but also that they eat almost everything, even the monkey. The hunting season is open pratically all the year and and ther'are no limits or quota. Only Jaguar, Jaguarundi and few other species are protected.
The experience of hunting in the rain forest is unbelievable. The place is very calm and natural. Is not difficult walking as the soil is sandy and ther is not much undergrowth. Also, a thing difficult to believe, ther’ are not many bugs, and no mosquitoes. Really… I got only 5 bites! Of course ther’ are spiders, ants and snakes, but with a bit of attention and a good pair of rubber boots we had no problems. Because of the high temperature, the environmental difficulties, the basic accomodation a hunt in Suriname can be recommended only to very experienced hunter but ther’ are many possibilities of taking very interesting and inusual trophies. With a bit of time also a big caiman, and a deer or a peccary.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
first camp

Paca

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spider

anteater

frog

armadillo

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post

second camp

on the river

mario

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Very interesting expedition my friend ,Congratulations .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's something new! Thanks and congratulations!

Ski+3

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well done Mario. Very interesting.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Great report. I recently hunted in the Congo rainforest. It is definitely a different type experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes Mike, even in the jungle of the Philippines was a different thing.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
other photos

fishing

wolf fish

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
iguana

after a long, hot, wet day...

mario

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Those are awesome photos. We fished a little on the way home and hooked several tiger fish. The tackle was woefully inadequate and we never landed any, but it was still fun. If I go back I will bring proper tackle and spend a day or two fishing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great adventure.

i have heard too that french guyana is good for hunting and fishing.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
more ...

agouti

caiman

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
my trip was dedicated to the memory of Cameron Greig. R.I.P. my friend.

mario

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice adventure.
Thanks for sharing.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
These rare adventures into the world of true wilderness must be wonderful.

When I was in the military I did a lot of this type of thing in Djibouti, Vietnam and Afghanistan you have had some amazing adventures nice job.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
What an adventure! The scenery is simply stunning and those are some very interesting critters. Seems like a great time, congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes the Rainforest is an amazing place

mario

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Amazing adventure Mario and your photo's as well.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent story Mario, great adventure from areas few have gone to hunt for many year`s .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Very cool adventure. Thanks for posting this very exotic hunt.

Keep us posted on where you're researching next!

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Great adventure, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I fished peacock bass in Brazil last month and was thinking about your adventure. Thanks again for posting your report.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I fished peacock bass in Brazil last month and was thinking about your adventure. Thanks again for posting your report.

I don't know how I missed Mario's post the first time. Suriname? Very interesting place.

I did a lot of fishing in Brazil about 15 years ago when I was working there

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, what an adventure! Thanks for the report on a country that I wasn't even aware one could hunt in!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
unfortunately the photos are not longer visible.

mario

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
unfortunately the photos are not longer visible.

You can see all the lost photobucket photos by following the links below:

Apparently Google Chrome and Firefox have found a way to access the photos that Photobucket.com does not now allow you to post to 3rd party sites anymore without paying a high price.

"In the cases where former/current PhotoBucket users haven't deleted all their albums:

Chrome and Firefox now have an extension, Photobucket Embed Fix, that will display 3rd party hosted images. It will fix all your broken pics, no need for you to do anything, it runs entirely in the background.

Click Tools>Add-Ons (Or press CTL+Shift+A) >select Extensions > enter "photobucket embed" in the Search box (upper right corner) > then click the install button."

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, I can’t see the pics from your photobucket

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havent understood what happened with photobucket

mario

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Mario,

If you still have the pics. Load them up to www.imgur.com

You can post them from there.

Mike

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
June

Great report and pictures. Don't know how I missed it. Very interesting. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Brazil opened up for hunters?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very unique adventure. Beautiful country.
Thanks for sharing.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want come back one day for a bigger Cayman

mario

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Wow, what an adventure. I don’t know how I missed this report. Spiders don’t bother me, but I don’t think I would be able to sleep if I saw that one near the tent.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
luckily ther'is the hammock

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a very unique hunt!

Posts: 2575 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

mario