New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam -anyone been there lately?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I´m posting this here even if I´m not looking for a hunt. During the last couple of years I´ve read up on the Vietnam war and I´d like to see some of the places I´ve read about. There are trips -tours- of Nam but I´d rather do it myself or with a private tour guide. If anyone out there has experience in travelling Nam-Cambodja-Laos please give me some pointers!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cewe,

I was there last summer. PM me and I'll fill you in.

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there recently but I spent all me time in Saigon, whoops, make that Ho Chi Minh City. Found it to be well organized and the people were helpful. From my limited experience I wouldn't expect any major problems.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was there for 3 tours ---- don't ever want to go back.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I was there for 3 tours ---- don't ever want to go back.

Makes sense to me, Bill! clap thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand not wanting to go back if you fought there.

I just read Hal Moores "We were soldiers and young" and it gave (I think) a pretty good picture of what it could be like.

I was 12 when the war was on -two of my sisters friends died in Nam and her fiancé came back "changed".

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I left there in August, 1970. There are alot of great places in this world I would like to see and go to. Hopefully I will be able to go to many of them. Viet Nam is not on my list.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
A good buddy of mine 'hunted' over there for 3.5 tours. Mostly the prey were on 2 legs, but not always. On long snoop and poop trips deep in, he and his team sometimes lived off the land, as it were. On at least one occasion he related to me, they were forced to eat some kind of monkey for sustenance. If I remember the story right, the situation was such that properly cooking the primates was not an option. As a result, he got to play host to some pretty serious parasitical guests. On another occasion, while filling a canteen, he found himself staring at a feline paw print in the mud just filling with water next to him. The paw print was bigger than his hand. Tiger stripes, indeed!

Like others here who have BTDT, he has no interest in ever going back to what he calls the 'Land of All Bad Things'. Can't blame him. I'd like to hear about any leads, however. I have family (in-laws) that have been to recreate, and had a great time. Relatively cheap over there, too.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All vets from all wars have my sympathy -you Nam vets had a tough job and you came back to some very "cold" times.

Reading about the war, and being a kid when the war was on, has just got me interested in the place.

I need some visuals to fill in my mental pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe, I like most Vets don't want to go back, although I do feel the pull some times.

I always thought it would make a great hunting ground, Batang, wild water buff, barking deer and a few others, the country is trully beautifull , and the people where for the most part warm and friendly

68-72 LRRP

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Boys and girls I only left blood there and I don't want it back !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote