Find
Notify
Tools

15 years of hunting around the world
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

some asks: show me your hunting clothes, someone else asks: what kind of rifle or caliber do you use ? Then I thought a report around the world could give some information and maybe some answers and hopefully some ideas and maybe good reading enjoying the pictures Wink

First, after hunting back home in Norway for 13 years, I found the time ready for an abroad hunt in 2000 celebrating my 40 year old birthday. However, the saved money went to my wife ( now ex wife ) for some new furniture that she wanted in our mountain cabin. Next year in late september 2001 I was finally in the Karpaty mountains in South East of Poland hunting red stag deer in the rut. Very exciting hunt stalking the roaring stag. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the stag other than mounted on the wall in my mountain cabin.

( The ibex on left side is from Kazakhstan - see further below )

Then some years of no hunting abroad followed, but the Polish stag had waken something. I was starting to be aware of the possibilities of hunting in other countries - a modern way of expeditions in, for me, unknown areas. One of my dreams since I watched a video in 1995 was to hunt dall sheep in Alaska. Got devorced in June 2004 and found out that I should make my dream come through - booked a dall sheep hunt in 2005.

At the same time the divorce made me book a Mid Asian Ibex hunt in October 2004 - a " training trip " to prepare my self for the dall sheep hunt and mountain hunts in general which have always been my passion. The hunt was successful and I shot a 48,5 inch ibex. Altitude was 3.000-3.600 meters.

The 2004 ibex hunt was " learning by doing " - long range shooting, freezing, cold winds, high altitude, head aches due to altitude, bad sleeping due to altitude, riding horses in very steep mountains, being a long way from home and primitive camps and food with mostly no one speaking good english. Fortunately the agent outfitter put me together with a young russian man speaking good english to be my assistant guide. Aleksey was 27 years old and a very friendly and nice companion during the hunt and the whole stay. He also stayed with me all the time after the hunt guiding me in Bishkek with the Director of the Kyrigiz State Hunting Office. The Director was very friendly too and invited me to his home and showed Aleksey and me Bishkek from inside. Enjoyable and interesting for a westerner like me to experience.

Ibex hunting is mountain hunting at its best. I recommend it strongly. Used a Blaser R93 Professional 7 mm Rem Mag and Zeiss scope. Have used Blaser and Zeiss since 1996 and still do - this rifle and scopes does not let you down at any moment !

Time flew from October 2004 to August 2005. Hunting dall sheep in the Brooks Range as a semi back pack was a wonderful hunt ! From start to end ! We saw sheep every day during the 10 day hunt, but fog and some rain the first 4 days and as the flight from Bettles to camp was 2 days delayed we started to run out of time. But, as soon as the sun was shining the sheep popped out all over. The hunt was hard on your muscles, but finally I scored on a ram with lamb tips just as I wanted. The 7 mm Rem Mag was in action again. This was a real mountain hunt, but with more vegetation than in Asia. Very much like being in the mountains back home.

In 2006 I did not do any serious hunt abroad. Every year though I try to hunt roe bucks in Europe if time and money allows. Poland and Hungary have been visited. This roe buck was taken in Poland the first day of June in 2007.

This roebuck was taken in Poland in the rut July 2013

An old buck from Hungary ( the one in front Wink )

In 2007 I and a friend discussed a new ibex hunt. We received an offer from a Norwegian outfitter/agent about a hunt in Tadjikistan were we also could hunt Marco Polo. My friend went for both, but I concentrated on the ibex. The 2,5 hour long helicopter flight from Dusanbe was awesome - like flying a fighting Apache heli in Afghanistan. The hunt was hard, taking 2 days on foot from main camp to arrive the valley where I was to hunt ibex. Freezing my butt off when out in spike camp. Altitude approx 4.000 meters hunting up to approx 4.500 meters. Little food and minus 20 celsius in night making your sleep not comfortable even though I had a very good sleeping bag. But due to the altitude you sleep poorly. You get tired and shaky in these conditions when you are expected to perform nice shooting and stamina pursuing the wanted game. After getting tricked by the same group of male ibex for 3 days, we planned and set up an ambush to get them. Waited 6 hours in some rocky plateu for the ibex group to come down to gras and drink in the afternoon. Poor guide and assistant guide - they were freezing like hell. Mee to, but I had a rescue bag with me used by spescial forces in Norway. ( My russian guide begged for that as a tip later ) Christmas eve for the assistant guide when I gave him my spare hunting pant that same evening in the tent. Microfiber outer shell with a membrane like GoreTex to keep the wind outside. 2 days back again. Arrived in main camp with my eyes an inch outside my head due to heavy headache, tired and dizzy.

The ibex in Tadjikistan is real big body. My was 45 inch - there were some much bigger in the group, but I was not able to wait and shoot. I took the nearest one at 260 meters.

Maral stag has always been another dream. In 2008 I found out that time was up for such a hunt. Through the German Westfalia Jagdreisen I booked a hunt for maral in the rut in Kazakhstan. Very nice hunt except for severe pain from riding the mountain horses. Those horses are tiny and though and you feel every move they ¨make very good in your ties and hips. It almost destroyed the whole hunt. Anyway, I scored on a 12,2 kg maral, not a very big one, but a decent one. Good weather almost every day, beautiful mountains and a good hunt. Saw many maral, ibex and birds including very big eagelvultures. Tracks from bear near the tents in the morning was a new experience ! Whistling

Finally, after 5-6 days hunting I scored on the maral using a Blaser with a barrel in 338 Win Mag. One shot at 350 meters and the stag went down the steep mountain side and made a flip in the air. Landed several meters below and slided down to a creek. Stone dead. Spectacular to watch, but he missed a big part of his horns when we found him. Fortunately the assistant guide found the missing part approx 150 meters above in the mountain side. The stag had put the tip into mother earth when he flipped and broke the horn off.

My guide and assistand guide with the trophy.

Typical spike camp hunting maral. Bring good sleeping bag even when it is not so cold. Wind makes you feel cold and you need the warmth to sleep well so that your body get the rest during night.

In 2009 my hunting friend and I decided that the ibex my friend did not get in Tajikistan in 2007 was due. He was too cold and his frozen fingers could not pull the trigger in 2007. So we contacted Westfalia Jagdreisen again and booked an August ibex hunt in Kazakhstan. Green conditions, nice summer warm days, but also hail and snow and fog ! Altitude 2.500-3.000 meters. In that altitude nights are always cold despite warm days. No severe headaches - we had one day each with light headaches and that was it. Saw lots of ibex every day. My friend took a lovely Harley Davidson look ibex and I took a 51,5 inch ibex borrowing my friend Mauser M03 in 300 Win Mag. Hunted in the mountains with a good view to the Chinese borders. Back in maincamp we had a hell of a weather with strong wind and a hail storm we never have experienced before or after. Riding was better than the maral hunt hilbily

My ibex with an overview over the Chinese border in background

My hunting friend had for a long time discussed a real horse and wilderness hunt for moose. We decided for 2010 and Yukon with Chris Widrig. We chose the mid-term hunt 10 - 20 september. Very nice weather and too hot in the beginning made the rut slow. Though riding again - 9 hours from main camp, could not find the spot for spike and had to stay the night on the trail. Saw black bear and grizzly bear on the way and lots of bear droppings. First night on the trail made some action. Just fallen into sleep under the tarpet when one guide 4 feet away under the same tarpet woke up thinking we were attacked by a bear. He screamed and grabbed for his gun attempting to shoot the attacking bear - just in time he got to his sences and understood that the bear was one of the black horses tied up to a nearby three for the night. The other guide was ready in a blink with a 357 Magnum revolver.

Me - the office boy from town could not sleep much that night shocker

Saw a few bulls and turned all of them down. My friend did not find any bulls. 2 days left of hunting and we spotted a decent bull and we connected. Exciting ride without seeing him for an hour, then the stalk on foot and guide called him in. Took him on 72 meters and down he went with 2 bullets from my 338 Win Mag.

2011 went without any serious hunt abroad. I met a Swedish hunter in Yukon also hunting with Chris Widrg for moose. We kept contact and discussed some plans. I could not get the Marco Polo trophies from 2007 Tadjikistan out of my head. Finally we decided to book a Marco Polo hunt near the Karakol Lake in Tadjikistan. Off we went late November 2012. Snow and cold winds could be expected. Sure - be out in 17 minus Celsius with wind that you from time to time have to make a side step to stand still ! That wind increases the minus 17 to a lot more. Your tears are flowing and your nose is leaking, you cover your face with a mask. You keep your insulated gloves on. In this conditions you are supposed to find a shootable trophy head, stalk, breath, think, aim and shoot !

I connected in a Marco Polo in day 2. Fired 4 shots, hit the first on 300 meters ( I do not know exactly because the cold took the battery in my range finder ) missed the second on 350 when MP was running, hit probably on the third on 400 meters when slowing down and and missed with the fourth before teh MP tumbled on his back and was done. No pictures of the ram - my camera did not work. The guide managed to take a couple pictures before his camera went too. Unfortunately, for some reason I am not able to show those photoes. The system will not accept them. ( Russian codes ? ) I put in the small Pictures. If anyone would like to have a better look - send me a PM with email address.

My MP measured 51 inch, but is not as nicely shaped and wide like my friends MP. Totally different to look at despite the tiny 3,5 inch difference.

My friend connected the same day. His ram was a beauty measuring 54,5 inch. They had to leave for the night without finding the ram. Found him the day after and from then we had nice weather, but still very cold.

Main camp nearby Lake Karakol

On the way home by car from Lake Karakol in Tadjikistan crossing the border into Kyrgistan to the city of Osh we stopped at this pass. The world highest situated " shit house " Cool

Crossing in total 5 check points each way from Osh to Lake Karakol and back also an interesting experience. Different world where boss is boss and power to make things happen or not. Depends on......

Due to an old promise I took my daughter and my son for a combined safari and hunting trip to South Africa in February/March 2013. I have never had the interest of hunting in warm conditions. Everyone I had talked too told me that I was going to be bit by the Africa virus ! What happened ? I fell in love Smiler

The bullet to the left is a copper solid from Whinchester killing the Impala. 300 Win Mag. Notice the bullet under the Impala's skin on left hip. The right bullet is from the Blue Wildebeest and was a Remington Core Loct Ultra Bonded. 338 Win Mag.

My son joined me this afternoon. He is smiling putting his arm around his father ... Makes a father happy Smiler

All of us want to go back to Africa. The hunt was much more difficult than I expected, the hunt was real and stalking animals on foot. The food fantastic and the atmhosphere likewise. I love to hunt and I will be hunting in Africa in future. Next trip booked already for Kruger area for buffalo cow ( I know you guys will saying some bad words now Big Grin ) and some plains game, but I do this as a " training trip " again to prepare for the real hunts in future - buffalo bull and elephant. I need to understand these type of hunts. That is the way I do it ! Further, my girlfriend is coming along and as a first timer in Africa and she is not a hunter. I am not willing to leave her in a camp for 7-10 days !

In between some hunting is done back home and some in Sweden. Sweden have wild boar ( due to climate ) which we in Norway do not have yet - but they are coming Smiler

Wild boar hunted in Sweden in February 2011

We have a lot of moose in Norway. Hunted with dogs different from what they do in US and Canada.

We also have a lot of European red deer and the population is increasing.

My passion is hunting. Anything above than hunting ? Nope - not even sex ! tu2

New plans are made...

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it coming Smiler
Gleder meg til resten!!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeg holder på, men det tar tid gitt ... Big Grin

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos ,i only afford guiding.... Frowner

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, I am sure the guides enjoyed having you in camp as i have met some great Norwiegn people through hunting.
Ceep the reports coming.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Great report with wonderful pics.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific tu2
Thanks for sharing!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report,great pictures,and animals! Thanks so much for posting!
Best Regards,
Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the report; thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies, Skol!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report -thank you for sharing

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
Great report, I am sure the guides enjoyed having you in camp as i have met some great Norwiegn people through hunting.
Ceep the reports coming.

Thanks a lot for your kind words Doug Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent......looks like you've moved on quite nicely from the divorce!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Fina bilder

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunts! Thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! Great adventures!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A really cool series of photos and story. One adventure after another!
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic memories.

Can you tell the story behind the maral with the broken antler. Looks like a beast!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, amongst your other great trophies, you have taken 3 spectacular ibex. Congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite some adventures - thank you for sharing with us!

Interesting to hear how vital the rescue sack proved to be - is that a Fjellduken you left as a tip?

Rgds

Ian

Skitt jakt! Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great adventures - thanks for the report

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Quite some adventures - thank you for sharing with us!

Interesting to hear how vital the rescue sack proved to be - is that a Fjellduken you left as a tip?

Rgds

Ian

Skitt jakt! Smiler

Yea Ian - it is the Jerven Fjellduken. I think that both Swedish and English and US special forces have got aquainted with this sack when training winter operations in the mountains of Norway.

Happy hunting = Skitt jakt Wink

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Fantastic memories.

Can you tell the story behind the maral with the broken antler. Looks like a beast!

Hi Boghossian, what would you like to me to tell about - anything particular ?

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool pictures and stories!

Greetings from Kolsås :-)

Posts: 116 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice pics and stories.

let me know next time your in Whitehorse.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
nice pics and stories.

I am in Whitehorse in August and September 2015. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
nice pics and stories.

pretty sure we ll have to set up and meet ....

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
nice pics and stories.

pretty sure we ll have to set up and meet ....

Ok. Maybe you can send me a PM and give some information about whether you just want to meet for a beer ( very nice to do that ) or anything else you might discuss and who you are ? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of sth
posted Hide Post
Kanonbra tu2

Posts: 54 | Location: Vest coast of Norway | Registered: 22 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
You have lead a good life, Waidmannsheil for another 15 great years of hunting and many more!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing and I am glad you moved on in life full bore. This should be a lesson to all of us.
Just a thought you stated a few times about freezing which is understandable in the altitude and locale. Try King Of The Mountain wool clothing out of Wyoming they should fix the problem.
Best of luck to you in all your future adventures.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Blaser? Smart man! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great post & a great way to remember the variety of game & areas hunted.

Thanks

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Fascinating compilation of some good hard hunting across the globe. Look forward to you future exploits in Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Skicka mig detta foto i största storlek du har så kan jag göra det lite ljusare åt dig!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies and report. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Congratulations--you have gotten in some fine hunting trips and trophies. I look forward to seeing more!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
A Blaser? Smart man! :-)

tu2

Congratulations on some fine hunting!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote