Kodiak Spring Bear 2018
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Karluk Lake, Kodiak, Alaska
Outfitter: Scott Mileur
Guide: B. Sternberg
Rifle: .375 RUM shooting 270 gr TSX

Another great hunt. Had this booked since 2013 and it was worth the wait.

Saw 7 bears the first day. Along with a few fox and about 40 mountain goats. Second day we hiked up a ridge to get a good view of another valley we hadn't checked out yet. Rain and snow all morning... Once it cleared up a little we glassed up a set of tracks high up on a mountain across the valley. At the end of the tracks was a big brown lump of something... We watched it for a while and sure enough a big fat head poked up and looked around before laying back down. He was too far to get a really good look but the head and nose looked good enough to get a closer look. The hike up to him was nothing short of a sheep hunt stalk. I couldn't help but remember asking my guide the day before "you guys ever shoot bears way up in the snow?"
Luckily he decided to stay in the same spot for hours and we were able to get a better look. He had dug himself a nice little bed so it was very hard to see how big his body was. So we had to go on head size alone. The wind was good but was swirling now and then. We got up to the snow line and dropped our packs. We were about 250-300 yards away at that point. The rest of the way was almost all open across fresh snow. To get a better shot we had no choice but take a chance and crawl across the open hillside. Luckily his head was pointed away from us and the wind was pretty strong in our favor. At about 200 yards I took a moment and setup my video camera and hit record (more on that later). We crawled to a small rise and got settled in. We were at 150 yards and it would have to do. Popped in my ear plugs and waited for the green light. He raised his head and sort of got up on his front legs. He knew something was up and looked right at us. As soon as I heard "ok shoot him" and I put three shots right in the sweet spot. He was done after the first shot but no reason to save ammo on a beast of this size. Second shot I forgot how to hold a rifle and got a little smooch on the forehead by the scope. Thank god I had plastic scope covers on.

So after a hell of a climb and a perfect stalk, there lay my Kodiak brown bear. Excellent hide and a big ol head. Once we got him out of his bed we saw that he was definitely in the "big" range. I already shot a nice bear years before so a nice bear with a good hide was what I was hoping for. I was very happy.

The work now was really about to begin.
Shot him about 3 pm. Finished skinning him out at about 6pm. We had about 3 miles to go to get back to the boat. Including a very steep descent of about 1000 feet. It took me about 20 minutes to go the first 30 yards. The snow was about waist deep and I'd go all the way in with each step. The snow also happened to be the perfect consistency to lock my boot in each time. Making it impossible to pull it back out without a lot of digging. Talk about a miserable hopeless feeling... Dragging the packs was slightly more productive so that's how we were able to finally make it off the snow. By the time we made it off the mountain we were exhausted and soaked from sweat and rain. We had to make a choice. Stay out in the field all night or drop the packs and bust our asses to get to the boat before it was dark dark. I had already had to spend the night in the field packing out a bear years before and I did not want to go 2 for 2. So we dropped the bulk of the load and made it to the boat with just enough light to make it back to camp. We made the right choice because it rained heavy all night. Entire next day was spent going back and packing everything out. I can't remember being more sore. My legs are still recovering.

Sheep hunt for the price of a bear hunt

* for the record. I am right up against him and have my hand right behind his hump.

Not sure on the size of the hide. Doesn't really matter to me. Probably somewhere between 9-10'
Body size I think might be slightly smaller than the bear I took on the peninsula but I think the skull is bigger. Both are awesome bears. This one will end up as a rug.

Outfitter, guide, pilots, staff at Andrew Air, and the ticket counter ladies at the Kodiak airport were all great. Thank you for another great experience.

took some decent video. Will post the link once I get it finished up.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. WIsh I was you after my botched hunt last fall....

Impressive bear!

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Huge congrats on a beautiful bear and some good shooting. Scott Mileur has probably the best area on Kodiak not only for bears but goats and deer.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Great photos and bear, on my bucket list

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb bear! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great Bear and story

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's awesome a friend just went there to hunt them too.Lots of adventure in the great white north !

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I hunted Karluk in 2014. First hunt after Scott got the guide area back. Killed a great bear and had a wonderful trip.

My friend is leaving Sunday to hunt Karluk. I hope he does well also.

I think I remember you hunting in Phil's area on the peninsula. I saw a video on the net. You have two superb trophies.

I'd like to talk with you about your thoughts on the two hunts and how they compared. Please email or respond on the forum. I'm considering going somewhere in 2021. My number is 573-243-1947 if a call is preferable. Thanks and congrats again. Your obviously a good tough hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the write up!

Congratulation on a good bear!

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scott f.:
Congrats. I hunted Karluk in 2014. First hunt after Scott got the guide area back. Killed a great bear and had a wonderful trip.

My friend is leaving Sunday to hunt Karluk. I hope he does well also.

I think I remember you hunting in Phil's area on the peninsula. I saw a video on the net. You have two superb trophies.

I'd like to talk with you about your thoughts on the two hunts and how they compared. Please email or respond on the forum. I'm considering going somewhere in 2021. My number is 573-243-1947 if a call is preferable. Thanks and congrats again. Your obviously a good tough hunter.

Thank you. Well I guess it depends on where you hunt on Kodiak and where you hunt on the peninsula. My experience was that Kodiak was a little more up and down than where I hunted on the peninsula. But that could easily flip the other way within a few miles in any direction. After I killed my bear I flew down to Olga Bay to drop off the guide and it was quite a bit different from where I had been hunting and we only flew for a few minutes. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to talk more. I'm no expert in either place but I can tell you what I experienced.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bear in awesome country.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, Bobby. You earned that one.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You do know how to have a good time !
Congratulations
There are many reasons why many people consider massive Brown bears one of the world's top trophies!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job.

Dam a hate walking in snow like that it is very hard work for sure.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! Beautiful Bear!!!

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great bear. Always happy to see my guide buddies help their hunters take great animals. Bet you never thought you'd have a bear guide with that first name? haha

Congrats!!

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great bear. I'm sure that you earned it.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW nice trip. Thanks for posting!!
jumping

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again guys. After two great hunts for these magnificent animals (in two amazing places) I think I am done hunting coastal brown bears. At least with my own tag anyways. Quitting while I am ahead!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just heard from my friend on Kodiak. He killed a great bear Friday. About 9 1/2' and green skull measured at 28 1/16" by the biologist. Killed in the same creek drainage yours was. Lots of rain and several residents camps to contend with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I saw the photo of his bear! A really nice one. Glad he was able to get it done. Sounds like it was really tough going for the couple weeks after I left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a trophy! Thanks for sharing this adventure.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
finally got around to putting together a short video of the hunt. thanks

https://vimeo.com/298391046

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
great bear - congrats

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes nice bear and video. Well done.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dream hunt and superb video. Excellent.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Very nice video. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Congratulations on a fine bear!

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the video! Congratulations again on a very nice bear. Smiler

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that would be my dream hunt! Good job and great pictures. Congratulations!!!

BH63

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I forwarded this to Wesley and Luke Tyrrell as they said you might be considering a Brooks range caribou hunt next year.
It's another Alaskan classic hunt !

Nice video clip as always .
You work hard and have luck .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I really want to go hunt caribou during the migration. Might just need to pay Wesley a visit!

thanks Phil!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Really nice video. On my bucket list ..

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough country! Thanks for the story and video.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good report and beautiful bear. Congrats.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed the video. Holy smoke what a paw. Don't envy you climbing in the deep snow. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, great bear, great video, great country!

Congratulations, truly!!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a letter from Alaska DFG. Lab results aged the bear at 18 years old. pretty cool!