ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    Argentina Red Stag - Free Range - lots of photos

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina Red Stag - Free Range - lots of photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I just returned from 2 stag hunts in Argentina.
The first, I was in Cordoba. Very rugged and rocky terrain with almost no trees. The good thing here is that if stags are not roaring, you can still find them. The basic package here is for a free range stag up to 320", but you can upgrade.

The stags were roaring early and late, so you could find them pretty easily. Getting a good shot was a bit tougher in the open terrain.
I ended up taking a very nice 10x10 stag that was measured at 353. Another client killed an absolute monster, that ended up at 394. He had his two sons with him and they took hight 290" hype stage. One other hunter in took a super heavy 376". I think the sis truly a top end destination for a big free range stag. The 320" package is $6050 during the roar, and they have a winter special of $4250/each if you hunt 2x1. So a really great price for quality hunting. The lodge was nice, food incredible, and people ultra friendly.

View from the deck of lodge. There are trout in the stream

Rugged but beautiful terrain

My 353

The giant 394

After that, I met 4 friends in Patagonia, and we hunted there. This place has both free range and estate hunting. I chose the free range. The rut was really going on and roaring stags were all over. We got lucky, and they told us to shoot cull stags for management, and it would only cost $50/tag. We all killed a number of culls.
This is also open ground, so you can glass stags if they are not roaring. The roar lasts longer in Patagonia due to cooler temps, etc. So it can last 6 weeks.

We had a few guys shoot big estate stags. I shot a really heavy free-range stag. I wanted mass, and I couldn't pass this one, when he was chasing hinds round I a swampy area below me. I love his dark antlers and mass.

Some of the culls would have been trophies at places I have been in LaPampa. Great lodge, food and staff here as well.
Beautiful country

Here is a cull I shot

My heavy trophy stag

A couple more culls

Group photo...I left a day early and the guys still had a day left. We had a bowhunter kill what will be the #5 free range archery stag as well.

Both of these hunts are pretty well full for the roar in 2019 and booking for 2020. Again, it is great that you an go to either place in May-July and still kill stags even when they are not roaring. I can't wait to go back.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt Tim. Amazed that that rocky open country is in Cordoba... I always think of it as flat brushy, agricultural type land more suited for bird hunting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Love the heavy mass on the Patagonia stag. I assume it's the norm to rent a rifle while there?

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Russell,

About 4 hours out of the city, it got pretty darn hilly and open with some huge lakes.

Jeffrey- It has become really hard to take your own guns to Argentina. Both places the guns were OK, so no issue.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of those stags are of a quality that I thought were only available in New Zealand, and some old world estates. It's enough to make me rethink hunting in Argentina.