Tools

Mtn Mule Deer Hunt Report - Alberta, Oct 06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
MOUNTAIN MULE DEER HUNT SUMMARY

Date of Hunt: October 15-21 2006

Game Successfully Hunted: Mule Deer (Odocoileus hemionus)

Game Seen But Not Hunted/Shot: Elk, Moose, Whitetail, Coyote, Ruffled Grouse; Wolf & Cougar Tracks

Hunt Cost (06): $4200 + Licenses (~$450 Mule Deer + Whitetail + Wolf/Coyote)

Professional Guide: Tyson Mackin
Email: tymackin@yahoo.com
Phone: (403) 625-1546 (landline); (403) 625-0657 (mobile)

BACKGROUND
In August of this year I hunted Dall's sheep with Stan Simpson, in the Northwest Territories. After the sheep was down I spent some time in the Keel River "backpack" camp, which is where I met my guide for this trip, Tyson Mackin. We talked about hunting options in Alberta, and in particular "mountain mule deer". What interested me was that the hunt required some physical effort and backpacking, and in many ways resembled a sheep hunt but at a lot lower cost. Tyson had a tag available for this year, and a plan was made. Below are some specific details of the trip, including information that may be of assistance to others looking to hunt south-west Alberta.

TRAINING & CONDITIONING
As is often said, being in good condition not only increases the probability of success, but adds to the enjoyment of the hunt for the participant - and those around him. I trained quite hard for my August Dall's sheep hunt to the NWT (CLICK HERE FOR THE REPORT). I did a lot of road cycling in 05 and early 06 (~3000 miles) which increased my stamina and endurance. Earlier this year I began to backpack/hike several times a week working up from 30lbs to 50-65lbs, before dropping back due to the cumulative stress on the knees ("jumpers knees"). I work out with weights year around, and adjust the schedule based on the volume of other training, and the time of the year. But even a "gym rat" like myself has come to realize that there is no substitute for lacing up the boots and strapping on the pack!!!

With just ~8-weeks between hunts, it was pretty easy to maintain my conditioning, and in fact I felt a bit stronger as my backpacking was not quite as aggressive. The altitude for this mule deer hunt was "only" ~5000 feet, however, in PA I am at about sea level, so it does require a few days to get fully acclimated. Tyson and I talked a lot about physical conditioning, diet, training, etc, and it is worth mentioning that his feeling is that an average guy with a strong will and "a lot of heart" can (and does) outperform a younger and/or more fit individual without the mental tenacity and desire. Being conditioned AND strong-willed is of course the ideal scenario.

TRAVEL
In August I flew to Edmonton where I overnighted before flying into Norman Wells. The mistake I made was flying through Toronto via Air Canada, as I had to get my bags and clear Customs before the flight to Edmonton. This is a hassle - as Toronto is not the most "friendly" airport that I have been through (feels like Phila) - and given the short layovers for the connecting flights spit out by Expedia and other online ticketing sources, time is tight. Also, although they provided me with good service, Air Canada wants to charge hunters a CAN$50 fee each way to handle firearms. So this time I traveled United Airlines through Chicago to Calgary.

United was super, and seemed to be very "hunter friendly" although I am sure much of this had to do with the people being accustomed to dealing with visiting sportsmen. The seating on the planes felt roomy and the service was courteous and crisp. Upon arrival at Calgary, I retrieved my luggage, purchased the ~$25 firearms permit, quickly cleared Canadian Customs, and called Tyson on my cell so that he could meet me in front of the airport. Totally painless. The ride to the hunting camp (which was setup the day before) took about 1.5-2hrs though some beautiful (and flat) ranching country before entering the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

On the return trip, I overnighted at the luxurious Delta Hotel which is right at the airport terminal ($140 for queen room w/AAA discount). Tyson and his lovely wife offered for me to stay at his home in Claresholm, however the hotel was easier for both of us as I had an early 7:30am flight out. The Delta stored my meat/cape in their kitchen freezer, and had it quickly ready for my 5:30am checkout. United charged me USD$85 for the extra bag (meat), which I thought was fair although I was expecting less, and they took it with no questions asked. US Customs is cleared in Canada before re-entering the States, and this was a breeze. No paperwork for the meat or trophies, no need to open any of the bags including the rifle case...couldn't have been any simpler.

PROFESSIONAL GUIDE
I admit that I have been spoiled, hunting with some of Africa's finest Professional Hunters. Tyson has guided for Stan Simpson for the past 8-seasons, and is the "go-to" backpack guy. He's guided many high-profile hunters in the Yukon and NWT to some big sheep over the years (while I was there in August he was hunting with Wade Boggs, ex Red Sox third baseman). In addition to Dall, Tyson also guides for Bighorn sheep in Alberta before the start of the fall hunting season. Here he owns tags and guides rifle and archery hunts for mule deer, elk, spring/fall black bear, cougar and whitetail (as part of a combination hunt). Tyson can also arrange for Shiras moose, pronghorn antelope and prairie elk and mule deer through his good friend, Mark Parsons (Anchor Bar Expeditions). While I opted for a wall tent and a backpack hunt, there are other options depending on the location and nature of the hunt, and later in the season many hunters stay in log accommodations or comfortable hotels, hunting via horseback or the open prairie's using the truck to get around.

One thing I learned about sheep guides is that in addition to being tuff and resourceful, they are a close-knit group. If you want to find out about an area or outfitter, ask the boys on the ground. When sheep season is over, most of the top guys do other guiding and help each other out where possible. In my opinion, these are some of the finest hunters in all of North America. Through this network of guides and referrals, one could go after many different species while being assured of hunting the finest areas with the best hunters available. Many sportsmen are happy booking NA hunts with an outfitter, then being assigned a guide once in camp, who may or may not be a good "fit" for them. While I have done this in the past a few times with mixed results, I am most comfortable working directly with the guy who I will be sharing a tent with, wherever possible. Of course another option is to use a quality Booking Agent who is intimately familiar with the operation.

ALBERTA MULE DEER BASIC FACTS (PLAGIARIZED)
Mule deer get their name from their large, mule-like ears. Like white-tailed deer, mule deer are grayish brown in winter and reddish-brown in summer. They are slightly larger than white-tailed deer; bucks average about 220lbs (100kg) but can get a lot larger, and does about 155lbs (70kg). Mule deer can be identified by their tails and antlers. The thin, brown tail has a black tip and is surrounded by a white rump patch. The beam of each antler divides into two equal tines, and in older bucks these may divide again. Mule deer have the same acute senses of smell, sight and hearing as have white-tailed deer. However, unlike the wary white-tail, mule deer are often inquisitive. When alarmed and running, they often stop for a last look before bounding out of sight. They exhibit a distinct, stiff-legged, bouncing gait when running. In Alberta, the rut usually occurs in November. One or two spotted fawns are born to each doe the following spring. Mule deer are found throughout the province, but are most plentiful in southern and western Alberta. They are more common in mountainous areas than white-tailed deer. Here, they inhabit mixed-wood forests, hilly areas and edges of coniferous forests. They browse aspen, willow and other shrubs.

HUNTING AREA & CONDITIONS
Our members from Alberta are likely a better resource for information then I, but I will try to relay what I learned as accurately as possible. Alberta is divided up into Wildlife Management Units, or WMU's, categorized by the type of terrain and location (prairie, foothills, mountain, parkland & northern boreal). Seasons, quota and rules vary from one WMU to another. I met a guy at the airport who hunted mule deer. I asked him in what zone he was hunting, and he said "I don't know, I just get in the truck and go". I guess this is fine for some people, but I think that a visiting sportsman should make an attempt to identify the area in which they will be hunting, who owns the tag, and the regulations specific to that area. At the end of the Report there are some useful links that contain the current (2006) regulations, maps, outfitter list, etc.

For anybody who has not seen it, Google Earth is a fascinating program that provides detailed satellite images of most anywhere on earth. I used an overlay by PeakFinder to add detail to the Google satellite images, including mountain ranges, valleys, peaks, roads, etc. It is a fun (and useful) way to get geared-up for a hunt, especially when heading to a new and exciting destination.

This particular hunt was in WMU 404, one of the mountain units that is part of the Canadian Rockies that stretches along much of the western boarder of Alberta, adjacent to British Columbia. It is characterized by forests of coniferous trees (such as spruce, fir and lodgepole pine), aspen stands, and grazing pastures in the lower elevations (up to ~5500 ft), to "Bighorn country" with rugged snow capped mountains in the high country (including Plateau Mountain and Mt Burke which peaks at around ~8350 feet). Tyson has hiked most of the areas, and knows the land well.

The area is multi-use, and in addition to hunting there are campgrounds, quad and horseback riding areas, streams and mountain lakes for fishing, and many miles of hiking trails. There is also limited natural gas drilling and logging, so one should expect to see passing logging trucks and pickup's on the limited dirt roads that run through the WMU. One should also expect to see cattle, as ranchers are allocated areas in which they graze small herds. While not as remote as some of the places that I hunted, it is rugged and as with most mountainous areas, can be quite humbling at times.

Our hunting was in what is called "Kananaskis Country", meaning that access is limited to foot or horse. This reduces local hunting pressure, although tags are only available on a draw basis and rather conservative for both resident and non-resident hunting. We did see a few trucks in the lower valleys the last Saturday of the hunt, but it is worth noting that not all local residents are after "trophy quality" game, such as in the case of moose.

THE HUNT
One of the qualities of mule deer hunting that I find appealing, similar to say cape buffalo or hogs, is that there are many different "classic" ways and places to hunt them. Our original plan was to setup a spike camp then backpack in to one of the remote passes for a few days at a time, where there is the possibility of an outstanding buck and the assurance of a grand adventure. However, given an early snow and cold front courtesy of Mother Nature, we opted to setup a base camp in an area known as Indian Graves and hunt via foot from camp and truck. Partly due to the weather, and the amount of walking and climbing that we did, it was quite a physical and therefore rewarding hunt.

The actual hunt for a mountain mule deer is pretty straightforward in concept: early morning and again mid-afternoon you hike to the top of a mountain and glass the pines and timbers below until a suitable mule deer is spotted on the slope, take the shot and collect your trophy. Of course, nothing is ever as simple as it sounds. At this time of the year ("pre-rut"), the mule deer were still in bachelor groups and not traveling much (although my deer was showing signs of the rut beginning including a strong scent from the glands on the rear legs and a big, thick neck). A lot of glassing using 10x bino's and a spotting scope is required to systematically pick apart the timbers looking for any sign of a deer, such as a flash of an antler or a flick of an ear. As was suggested to me by another AR member from Alberta before the hunt, at this time of the year if you find a group you shoot the biggest one or move on, as this probably represents all the bucks in a given area.

Sunday hunting is not permitted in Alberta, so this is the typical "travel day" for visiting hunters. Many flights arrive in the early afternoon, and especially if coming from the east coast (where one gains 2hrs), there is lots of time to stop by a sporting goods or hardware store to get your license, pick up any last-minute supplies, drive to camp and get settled in before beginning the hunt first thing Monday morning.

Each morning we would wake at 6am, eat, and prepare for the morning hunt with the goal of being in the field at first light (around 8am this time of the year). It snowed heavy the first day, and visibility was poor, so we hiked two valley bottoms close to camp. On the afternoon hunt, we did manage to glass and locate some doe and a decent 4x4 buck, but he needed another year to gain some mass and I passed. The second day brought more snow, but as soon as it cleared we were able to hike up the ~600 foot ridge behind camp. Being a sheep guide, Tyson selected the most direct route, which was straight up the face of the hill. Once at the top we had a commanding view of both sides and numerous clearings below. We moved along the ridge, glassing for several hours. A few does were seen, but it was not until late afternoon that we saw any bucks.

The group consisted of three bucks, walking and feeding with a young bull moose. Unfortunately, they were not on the side of the hill as expected, but at the bottom in the valley. Two were shooters, one being a typical looking deer and the other a bit smaller but with some junk on either side. The third had just a fork on one side, but a neat palmated antler on the other, and in another year will make a cool trophy, unless the wolves or lions get him. Tyson ranged the distance to be 420 yards, but they looked a lot farther away to the naked eye. This was just too far of a shot to take so early in the hunt, and we instead opted to go down after them and see if we couldn't get close enough for a shot...without spooking them.

Using the wind we worked our way down and to the closest edge of the clearing where they had been bedded, however, they were not to be found. Their tracks in the snow indicated that they had moved to our left diagonally up the hill. On the way down we had crossed fresh cougar tracks, and we wondered if perhaps this had something to do with their departure. Or, maybe they heard us before we saw them, or perhaps it was just time to head to higher ground for the night. To me this is much of the fun of a spot-and-stalk hunt. We worked our way out and back to camp for the night, jumping a young whitetail buck and a few doe on the way.

On the morning of the third day, we got up and out early, and made it to the top of the ridge by first light. We concentrated our efforts on the area where we had last seen the bucks, but only came up with a few of the doe feeding in the aspens, including one at 120 yards downhill which spotted us too but did not bolt. After about an hour of glassing, we worked our way across the top of the ridge looking into some heavier timber. Tyson caught a glimpse of one of the bucks moving behind some pines, his grayish outline highlighted against the white snow, and the game was on. The distance was perfect, just 150 yards, and they were totally unaware of our presence on the rocks above. However, getting a clear look at them in the thick pines was difficult. Eventually we found an angle that allowed us to peer in, and as the typical-looking buck slowly fed, I got into a prone position and took the shot.

The angle was such that the Accubond caught him high on the shoulder and penetrated down through both lungs. Through the scope I saw him roll onto his left downhill shoulder and pile up, thankfully dieing where he fell. The non-typical buck broke left, and we heard the other one crash off to the right. Had we waited another minute, the non-typical might have fed into the clearing, however, my buck might have been back in the timber. I had a clear shot, and am happy with my decision to shoot the one that I did. The bullet did not exit, but unfortunately we were not able to recover it.

We took a lot of pictures in various poses, and Tyson is every bit the perfectionist that I am. Too often I think the guide is onto the next phase, and I thanked Tyson for not rushing through the pictures nor saying anything to the effect of "now the hard work begins", which really annoys me. But hard work it was getting the big buck down the hill and to the road. Thanks to the snow we were able to drag him about a mile to a dirt road that we were able to access with the pickup. It took a while, but it was actually "fun" and every bit as memorable as the hunt itself.

Once loaded into the back of Tyson's 2500 Dodge, we drove to a friend and fellow guide's house (Jason, who guides for Tyson). I visited with his father and had coffee, while Tyson skinned and caped the buck. We talked about ranching, cattle, horses, prairie hunting...all new and interesting to a boy from Pennsylvania. We made it to the butcher shop just before 5pm, Tyson's house for a fast shower, the hardware store before 6pm for a whitetail license, and Subway for a quick hit before heading back to camp. Quite a day.

Thursday and Friday were spent backpacking, still-hunting the thick timber hoping to jump a bedded whitetail buck, and glassing the fields and valleys in the evenings. We saw plenty of scrapes and sign, but no bucks. Nevertheless I cannot think of a more enjoyable way to spend a few days. On Saturday we broke down camp and headed back to town, stopping on the way for lunch and to shoot-the-shit at Mark Parson's home. Mark runs an outfitting business with many elk, moose and other tags, and is just a super guy. His wife Donna takes care of much of the behind-the-scenes logistics, and is an outdoor artist producing some amazing bronze sculptures in the studio in their beautiful log home. On the way to Calgary we picked up the frozen meat at Tyson's Dad's welding shop, and put it into a Rubbermaid container along with the frozen cape, weighing it to make sure that it was under the 50lb excess baggage limit. I declined a tour of Calgary, opting instead to check-in to the Delta Hotel and organize my luggage for the trip back. We had split the antlers (using a "V" cut) and I packed them in my Cabela's wheeled-duffle for the ride home. Again, everything ran smoothly and totally stress-free.

Some guys might prefer the big operations, but give me a good old fashioned personalized hunt any day of the week. Tyson and I parted friends, and made plans to hunt "mountain mule deer" again the end of next September, hoping for more seasonable weather so that we can backpack into one of the remote drainages looking for a monster buck. I recommend Tyson without reservation to anybody considering a guided mountain or prairie hunt in Alberta, or a backpack/horseback adventure for Dall or Bighorn sheep. Thanks for reading my report. Bill

PICTURES TO TELL THE STORY

Home Base - A Comfortable 3-Man Wall Tent

Horse Stalls As Viewed From The Tent

Pro Guide Tyson Glassing Across Valley (Afternoon Day-1)

Alberta Free-Ranging "Mountain Cattle"

View From a Hilltop (Morning Day-2)

Looking Up From Camp At Indian Graves Ridge

View From Indian Graves Ridge (Afternoon Day-02)

Mule Deer At The Edge of Small Clearing In Valley Below

Sunrise From Ridge Top (Day 3)

Mule Deer

Looking Up Through Brush To The Ridge Where Shot Was Taken

Taking A Break While Dragging The Big Buck (Tyson)

Tyson Glassing for Whitetail (Day 4)

Typical Mountain Mule Deer Habitat

Views Of Plateau Mountain & Mt Burke From Indian Graves Ridge

EQUIPMENT
A backpack was necessary to carry food (Clif bars, jerky & trail mix), water, additional layers of clothing (for when glassing), a warm knit hat & gloves (if not worn), bino's, spotting scope, headlamp, knives, license, camera, etc. I used my Eberlestock which has a build in gun scabbard, allowing me to carry my Kimber Montana 8400 .270WSM while keeping both hands free. Due to the weather, most days we wore our rain coats (Cabela's MT050) and pants, although we did see the sun here and there towards the end of the trip. I am pleased at how comfortable, quiet and wind-proof the Cabela's MT050 & Dry-Plus proved to be.

The Kimber 8400 once again performed very well and at ~7.5lbs with the ~12.5oz Swarovski and three rounds - it is not bad in the pack and a joy to carry when stalking.

I cannot speak highly enough of my Pentax DCF 10x42's, which have been with me on many trips over the last 5 years including Africa, SE Alaska and the NWT. They have been wet (I don't use lens caps), dropped and generally abused. I recall paying just under $400 via eBay, and performance is almost if not as good as the fine [German/Austrian] glass that my PH's/guides and hunting partners have used. Perhaps I just got a good pair, but IMHO these have to be one of the best bargains in optics out there.

I did a pretty good job in managing the various layers of clothes so as to not sweat too much while walking/climbing, as we all know this is when one gets cold. Layering is the key, and one wants to be a bit cool when starting out, knowing that body heat will increase with activity. When stopping to glass, extra layers that are quickly accessible help maintain body heat and protect against the wind. I am extremely pleased with the performance of the Smartwool underlayer, which I wore every day...and night...for 6 days. Ditto on the Smartwool socks, which I wear without liners.

The North Face Cat's Meow bag rated at +20 degrees worked okay, although I needed to wear two layers as the temps dipped into the low 20's. In a smaller tent it might have performed better, and it is a compact backpacking bag, but I think that it should be rated as a 30+ bag. All other gear and equipment worked well, although by the end of the hunt my beloved Lowa Sheephunters were a bit wet and a pair of PAC boots might have been nice for the snow. However, as in the NWT, the Lowa's were great for climbing and produced zero blisters, so this is just one of the many trade-off's involved in gear selection. All I longed for (and now have my eye on) was a "backpack glassing pad" to sit on, I used a garbage bag when in the slop, which was noisy and slow to deploy.

EQUIPMENT SUMMARY
Rifle: Kimber 8400 Montana, 270WSM
Scope: Swarovski 3-10x42 w/Talley Lightweight Mounts
Bullets: Federal 140gr Accubond
Boots: Lowa Tibet GTX "Sheephunters" (the lower version)
Socks: Smartwool Mountaineering
Undergarments #1: Smartwool Micro-Weight Top & Bottoms
Undergarments #2: Cabelas Expedition Top & Medium-Weight Bottom
Mid-layer Top: Cabelas MicroFleece Mock-T in Outfitter Camo
Mid-layer Bottom: REI Mistral Pants
Vest: Cabela's Fleece
Rain Jacket: Cabelas MT050 Quiet Pack Jacket w/GOR-TEX Lining
Rain Pants: Cabelas Dry-Plus Packable Camo Pants
Backpack: Eberlestock JustOne J105 in Mossy Oak
Sleeping Bag: The North Face Cat's Meow
Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 Regular + Stuff Sack
Binoculars: Pentax DCF WP10x42 Waterproof Roof-Prism w/Vellini Strap
Cameras: Olympus Stylus 720 (water/shockproof) + Olympus C-750 UltraZoom

MISC HELPFUL LINKS
2006 Alberta Hunting Regulations: http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.org/huntingregs/
Alberta WMU's: http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen....egs/season-wmus.html
Alberta Professional Outfitter Society: http://www.apos.ab.ca/pages/huntinginalberta.htm
Canada Non-Resident Firearm Declaration: http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/onli...tance/PDFs/909_e.pdf
B&C Typical Mule Deer Scoring: http://www.boone-crockett.org/...muledeer_typical.pdf
B&C Non-Typical Mule Deer Scoring: http://www.boone-crockett.org/...edeer_nontypical.pdf
Eberlestock Backpacks: http://www.eberlestock.com/Backpack%20Master.htm
Google Earth Download Site: http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html (Windows XP/2000)

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report Bill, a lot of work you've put into it! I'm fortunate to be able to hunt mulies in the mountains each year, and it is a blast. So, obviously, this year I'll be on the prairies, to see what that is like. Wink

Interesting comments on the guides. I ran into a sheep guide in antelope camp in MT last week. We spent some time together, with the outfitter using a break between clients (I was not a client) to do some much needed grocery shopping. I'd go with him on a hunt without any reservation. Getting to know your guide this way sure beats booking with a reputed outfitter, but then being dependent on the luck of the draw regarding the match-up with your guide.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report bill you are a credit to all who look here for good info-as I said if I can help in any way contact me.

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Super hunt report Bill... and a nice mulie buck to boot! Sounds like you have found a nice outfit for future hunts in the North country. How did you prepare for the endurance part of the backpack hunts for the sheep and deer? Cycling?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Bill, Nice mule deer. Great report, info, and pics.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I call an indepth, detailed report! Good job Bill. By the way, a very nice buck also.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. Much appreciated. Like the pics alot and your report is excellent. I now have a much better appreciation of what this kind of hunt is like, which is nothing like mine.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Excellent report...pics great and gives one good ideas...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
As always, you write a great report and set the bar high for the rest of us.

Congratulations on the hunt -- you also set a good example of enjoying yourself even if the circumstances (like weather) do not fully cooperate.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thorough report. COngratulations on a very nice buck. Always a pleasure to read your reports.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bill on another outstanding hunt and thank you for your usual benchmark report. While it is always a clients goal to find an outstanding Guide or Professional Hunter, it also works the other way around. They are more than fortunate to have you as a client Bill, and I am sure they are proud to consider you a friend as well.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Bill

Thankyou for posting an excellent report and congratulations on a fantastic 4 x 4.

Interestingly i shot a red stag last week which weighed 198lbs dressed out and i too was using a 270 WSM with a 140grain Accubond and also did not get an exit. The shot was at just under 200 yrds and the retrieved bullet weighed 90.1 grains. The animal was quartering away from me and the bullet had gone through a rib on the near side, both lungs and another rib on the off side to come to rest just under the hide.

Can i ask what weight you estimate your buck to be when dressed out?

Many thanks

Jon

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As always Bill, you write a great report. Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks guys! Smiler

Russell, I added a "Training & Conditioning" blurb to the report, this was indeed an important aspect of the hunt that given the Dall hunt, I glossed over.

Jon2, I wish I knew, we field guesstimated it to be around 275-300lbs live-weight, but now that I think about it, this is likely on the high side. Maybe some of our mule deer hunters can provide some insight? I'll check w/Ty to see if he remembers what the butcher weighed him at drop-off. I'd like to see your recovered Accubond, if possible to email me a pict. Bill

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Bill

I think the stag i shot and the buck you shot are not far apart in weight. The bullet is at my brothers but i will be seeing him on saturday. I will take a pic of it and post it over the weekend. Interestingly my brother shot a much bigger stag (485lbs live weight) last year and the very same thing happened although it was with a 7 rem mag and 160 grain accubond. I will post pics of both of them.

Many thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tyson and I talked a lot about physical conditioning, diet, training, etc, and it is worth mentioning that his feeling is that an average guy with a strong will and "a lot of heart" can (and does) outperform a younger and/or more fit individual without the mental tenacity and desire

Whew!!!! Thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent report, and congrats on your hunt success!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Great report!! As usual, you have set the standard.

quote:
All I longed for (and now have my eye on) was a "backpack glassing pad" to sit on, I used a garbage bag when in the slop, which was noisy and slow to deploy.

All I use is a square piece of blue closed-cell foam thats maybe 3/8" thick (?). It's about 20x20" I guess. I just cut it off of a sleeping pad. Works like a charm. When you are not using it you just roll it up and strap it to the side or bottom of your pack.

A lot of guys around here (SE BC) use the same thing. Great for keeping your butt dry and taking the edge off of any rocks you might sit on. Smiler

I haven't heard of this before....

quote:
We split the antlers (using a "V" cut) and I packed them in my Cabela's wheeled-duffle for the ride home.

...could you expand on this a bit for me?

Cheers
Canuck

ps: Unit 404 is just over the mountain from my favorite stomping grounds.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
an average guy with a strong will and "a lot of heart" can (and does) outperform a younger and/or more fit individual without the mental tenacity and desire

Amen!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Bill

You have a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report and congrats on your buck...chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Canuck - the V-cut was suggested by my taxidermist so that it would be easier to rejoin the skull for mounting. When I mentioned this to Tyson, he said that he learned this from Stan up in the NWT for the caribou too.

Reg the butt-pad, I scarfed a hunk of foam in the NWT but left it behind, and remembered the day before I left for this hunt. Tried Lowes, but didn't find anything. One of the companies that also puts out a magazine (Western Optics or something similar) has a few for $40.

Jon2 - got the picts, thanks. Tyson said the "on the hook" weight was 165lbs, so plus head/antlers, cape and innards the live weight would have been around that ~275lb figure.

Thanks again all for the nice replies and feedback! Smiler

Bill

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Bill

Congratulations and thank you for an excellent report.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Bill, once again you've presented a wonderful, comprehensive report that makes me feel like I'm part of your hunt. I aspire to write full reports like yours, but fall short. Keep up the good work so the rest of us slackers can hunt vicariously through your reports. cheers

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new to the sight your pics and reports are what dreams are made of thanks!!

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt the zone to the south and had many memorable Mule deer and elk huints there. I only wish I had a one mile drag out on some of them. that is a great respectable buck for that area and sound like you had a great time.

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys. I want to add that this deer has provided some of the best tasting venison that I have ever eaten. Pre-rut, fast-killed and processed cleanly, quickly and professionally - the burger, steaks and roasts have been absolutely wonderful with no "gamey" taste. I only wish there was more in the freezer. Although, I had 20lbs of jerky made from the front shoulders which should be arriving any day now - my sons and I can't wait!

one of us
posted Hide Post
excellent report bill

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Well I recovered my 140gr Accubond afterall:

Weight: 87.1 Grains, After Roasting Big Grin

Also, Tyson has his website up and running: www.happyvalleyoutfitters.com

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
How do you get all the meat/etc of your bullets to weigh them. I have quite a few that I would like an accurate weight for but are impacted with crap.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I don't know that you get it all out, little meat don't weigh much, but this one came pretty clean with a bit of picking with a pin (noting it was frozen then cooked - maybe this is the secret!!!). Bullets like the Northforks that do not fold over are pretty clean. I have a few Woodleigh 500gr's that are gunked up too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you didn't bite into that when you found it!

Great report thumb

MG

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Fantastic report! Thanks for taking time to make such an extensive story.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, one last post on this report to bring it full-circle. Here are a few pictures of the completed mount, taken by my taxidermist at his shop before pick-up. I used Photoshop to merge them into one picture. I am very pleased with Wes's work to say the least.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/u...jpg.html?sort=3&o=19

Taxidermy: Wes Good, Animal Artistry
(800) 809-8508 (Penna)
info@taxidermystudio.com

Tanning: Carolina Fur

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report & Hunt, Congratulations! thumb

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Looks good Bill.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote