Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Cow Elk 2018-2019
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I completed this hunt a couple of weeks ago. Tony and his crew do a great job. The ranch is huge and has a lot of elk. The first day, all we saw was bulls - some of them 350+! Day two was more of the same. Day three, we probably saw 300 cows total, and each got our animals.

Lodging was in a very comfortable ranch house, complete with WiFi, which is nice because there's almost no cell reception. The food was excellent and plentiful. Comfortable beds and good company rounded everything out. If you want to put some meat in the freezer, this is a great way to do it. The locker plant said that my buddies cow was the heaviest they've ever processed.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting! I'm heading down there in a few more days; looking forward to it. Smiler

I've only hunted elk a couple of times, and never successfully. Judging from your description of the bulls seen, I'm starting to think of Tony as the hunting equivalent of the guy parked in front of the school yard, giving away free samples of addictive drugs...Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard from Tony Piscopo recently about this hunt? I have left at least 2 phone messages, a PM on this site and emailed with no replies. If anyone has a better way of contacting him please let me know. I would like to speak with him prior to driving out this week from Georgia.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I communicated with him via email just over a week ago; just confirming that everything was still a go (it is!). It took a day or two to connect with him, as he was just finishing up guiding for the archery season. I assume he's pretty busy at this time of year.

Bill, if you want to PM me with the email address you used I can confirm that it's the same one that worked for me. Are you hunting the first week of December?

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir , I will be there the first week of Dec. He called me last nite, all is good.
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tony is great guy

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hnthrd...

Sorry I missed this thread. I just spent 10 days in Roundup with a 590-20 tag. Ended up with a dandy bull last Saturday. Would have bought you lunch. Next time!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So glad you got it done!! My guys were holding out and took a couple nice bucks and their cows on Saturday and Sunday. I am in kalispell quite a bit in the summer I’ll shoot you message so I can see a picture of that bull.

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Pete. Need to figure out how to upload pictures here again!!!

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Tony, do you have any shoulder season opportunities for a Resident General tag holder?

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven’t checked this thread in awhile. This hunt was very popular and successful!! I was pretty well sold out by December last year or the 2019/2020 season. If anyone has any questions on this or any of my other hunts please feel
Free to shoot me a message. If you are wanting to build points for Montana trophy permits you still have this month to go online and buy a bonus point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add some info, I have had to bump the price from $1500 to $1600 for the 2020/2021 season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from doing this hunt. This was my second hunt with Tony and crew, definitely won't be my last. Lovely country, friendly people, terrific food, plenty of game to see (elk and otherwise), comfortable accommodations, and a nice relaxed pace well-suited to my needs and expectations.

I arrived a half-day late due to weather delays, but had a cow down on the first day, despite some dreadful shooting on my part. I had wanted to use my Sharps rifle to add some zest to the hunt. I needed an un-rushed relatively close-range shot at a stationary, broadside, well-lit target. A guide conducting an economical meat hunt shouldn't be forced to cater to all those extra requirements, but Tony didn't bat an eye and placed this out-of-shape flatlander with bad eyes in position to spine a cow with my first shot. I won't detail how many more shots I fired in an effort to finish her off. I'm just hoping that all that lead I shot into the hillside doesn't affect the Earth's orbit too much. Tony knows what he is doing, and he does it well; this is a meat hunt which is also tons of fun.

One word of caution: DO NOT doze off in the armchair in the living room; you will never hear the end of it!

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I booked this hunt with Tony early in 2019 and hunted Dec 18-20. Actually, I only hunted one day as I tipped a cow elk over on the afternoon of the first day. There were two other hunters in camp and they both filled out by the morning of the second day.

The food was very good and the ranch house we stayed in was warm, clean, and had plenty of hot water. Tony and his partner Todd were very easy to get along with and obviously know what they are doing as everything was well organized. I saw a lot of elk in the one day of hunting. In the morning session we saw over 30 bulls in small groups including a couple that were for sure shooters. We only saw two cows in the morning and they didn't present a shot opportunity. Following lunch we went out again and we got into a herd of cows in open timber that numbered around 40. I made a 220 yard clean broadside shot and We were back in camp with the elk hanging and skinned by 4pm.

Couple things to note: Tony was good about communicating throughout the process. Not only did I see a goodly number of elk, I also saw a lot of mule deer and whitetails including a couple very good bucks. The terrain is hilly with some rock ridges along with open grazing areas and scattered timber. This is not a steep mountain-dark timber scenario. Tony hunts this from Auguast to January but the elk don't migrate and they are obviously in good numbers.This cow elk hunt is not physically hard but still dependant upon your ability to get an accurate shot off in under 10 seconds.The terrain and hunt method (pick-up) indicates to me that most shots will be between 175-300 yards.

I will book another hunt with this outfit.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was one of the other two hunters in camp with the previous poster. The two of us had booked early in 2019 and both are very satisfied with this hunt and outfitter. My friend and I hunted with Todd while Matt hunted with Tony. We covered much ground the first day and my friend missed a shot opportunity in mid morning at about 250 yards. I was having some back and neck difficulties and was using a walking stick to get around. Todd was very helpful and took me on a half mile stalk at the end of the first day where we got within 405 yards of numerous cow elk on a partially burned over ridge. We crawled up a knoll and I shot over the back pack at 405 yards and got the cow down just at sunset. Glad I brought the headlamp at Todd's suggestion. Most shots are from a road traversed by the pickups but we went for a walk since I was having difficulty moving quickly with my injury.We got the cow field dressed in the dark and retrieved her the next morning after my friend connected on his second attempt at about 250 yards. Saw many elk and deer and had a great experience and good food. Would do this hunt again. These two guides know what they are doing and do it well!

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the Kind words. It has been a pleasure having all of you in camp. Still
Are tons of elk on the ranches we hunt. If we haven’t talked either personal or by pM I am fully booked for these cows hunts for the the 2020/2021 season. Thanks again AR.