New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Cow Elk 2018-2019
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I still have a few spots available for cow elk in Central Montana, in December 2018. There is a proposal to extend the cow elk season until February 15 2019 but that hasn't been approved yet. This hunt is a guided hunt, 3 full days of hunting with lodging and meals provided. We hunt 30,000 acres of private land in Central Montana. This is a highly successful hunt (90%success, 100% opportunity)for free ranging animals. You will need a Montana cow elk license ($275.00)( 100% draw last few years) that must be applied for by June 1 and a hunting License ( $25.00) ( neither included in price of trip). Once you arrive at the house on the ranch all meals ,lodging and transportation during hunt is provided.W hunt very gentle terrain and can accommodate any level of fitness or health. There is a high volume of elk harvested in the area so meat processing is tough to have done in the time you are here. If we can't get the processor to take care of your elk, We will break your elk down to quarters for you to pack in coolers ( or your game bags if the weather is cold enough)and you can have them processed at home. This is a rifle only hunt.

Price of this trip $1500.00 per hunter
plus license $300 (appx)

Included:

knowledgable guides
Lodging
Meals
3 hunting days
access on 30,000 acres of private land
field dressing game
Assistance in filing license application

Not included:

License (appx $300)
transportation to the house in Musselshell, Montana
Alcohol
Meat Processing

Tony Piscopo (MT outfitter lic #12664)
Continental Divide Outfitters
1216 Nordheim Lane
Corvallis MT
406-207-1344
cdo@mail.com

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had a Montana combo tag and did not fill it in the regular season could fill it in this season.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes either the cow permit or the general elk A tag is good for this hunt.

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What sort of accommodations can be expected on this hunt? Is this three actual hunting days, so 4 nights accommodation? How many hunters per guide? And is this generally long-range open-country hunting, or woodland up-close stuff?

I've never been on a guided hunt that wasn't a "trophy" hunt. This meat hunt sounds like it could be a fun couple of days; is it handled that way, or is just a bunch of guys loaded into a truck together and driven out to knock down a couple of animals as quickly as possible and back to the ranch for lunch? I guess the price seems a little too good to be true?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I can remember how I will post some pictures of the house.
Shots can be as close as 80 yards or out to 350. Its 2 hunters per guide and 3 full days of hunting. Yes , come in the evening before so 4 nights. I personally like to find the elk then make a stalk on them on foot. I do take some hunters every year that can't do that so there can be some taken driving around.
I only take 4 hunters per time slot ( unless one group has another hunter or 2) but never more then 4 if everyone in the group isn't coming together,
We have 2 ranches we hunt, one is just under 9,000 acres and the other is 22,000 acres.
A typical day starts before light. We do come back to the house for lunch and then head back out around 2 till dark. Our goal really is to kill some cows and knock the herd down. We try to leave them alone during the middle of the day when they bed down. There are neighbors that don't do any cow hunting and if we blow the elk off the ranch and they wind up on those properties we don't get the animals we want to take.

We are in a trophy area and have some giant bulls. These cow hunts are our way of managing the entire herd. Not really a money maker, but all around management. JWM I think you would enjoy it, Not shooting fish in a barrel but not a back breaker in the mountains either with lots of game and high success.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, private message sent.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hntnhrd:

Here is the house that we have. 2 bedrooms and full bath along with kitchen and living room on the main floor. The basement has 3 bedrooms and another bathroom were the cook and us guides sleep

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of the bedrooms and kitchen

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of the herds along the river Bottom a couple days after Christmas 2017

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is interested in the food we serve. I like to eat!!!! Here is an Elk Tenderloin I cooked this fall

And some baby back ribs

one of us
posted Hide Post
My lady has never shot a cow elk .. Poor thing .. I do not feel too sorry for her as she has a big six and a big seven point bull .... If she came to shoot the cow ... how much would the fee be for her husband to come along and eat that delicious food .. ??? Smiler

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pictures of food get people all the time!!!! dancing
Sent you a pm Scruffy

posted Hide Post
PM sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent from me as well.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
What's the nearest town?

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the interest everyone!!!! spots are filling quickly.
The nearest town is Musselshell MT. it is about a 10 to 11 hour drive from Minneapolis /St.Paul area to our house on the ranch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This been a really popular offer!! if you haven't gotten a hunt contract form me or haven't been told one is on the way , I have 4 spots left for this year. Round up a buddy and come fill your freezer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hntn - what is the best way in? Fly to Billings and then drive I would think.

Hmmm . . my last time there I went on to Big Timber where I got a Sharps. Might be fun to do this with a big Sharps too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexKD, I like the way you think!

I'm booked for this hunt, and I'm already prepping my Sharps. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup Billings is about an hour and a half from Musselshell. That sharps would be fun to do this with. Let me know if you want the last couple spots!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A huge Thank-you to Saeed and the AR family! I have filled all my cow elk spots for the 2018 season. I will post an add again next year for any spots in the 2019 season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent you another PM, Tony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it JWM sent one back Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana has awesome hunting and the nicest people on earth !
Hopefully I get to go back hunting again there !

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana just sent me an e mail saying that the results for the elk draws are being processed.. Confused I thought the deadline was June 1st? I must get on their website and look a little better .. Only saw the Hunting news so far ..

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I obviously panic too easily. It is June 1st for that tag ..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hovering over the Panic button myself until you posted that second comment. Smiler I just arrived home to find the application waiting for me; haven't even mailed it in yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler I have emailed out appps to everyone that I had an email address for. If you are coming and don’t have one let me know. The MT system is a mess. Once again they tried to fix something that wasn’t broken. The special bull
And deer permit and non resident general tags are what were just drawn. Moose sheep and goat applications are due May 1 and cow elk and doe deer are due by June 1. Some how one of my potentil bull elk hunters had his application rejected from the draw because they claimed he didn’t sign it. No sense trying to rectify that with a phone call. Disappointing that they can’t offer decent customer service when someone spends $1000 for a license. Ok my rant is done for the day!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on when AR members come give me a shout and I’ll take you bird hunting for a day over my setter or if you fly into Billings maybe we can meet for dinner and a beer. Some good fishing can be had on the bighorn as well

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is very generous offer. If the creek don't rise that would be great fun. We are not low on birds here in Southern Alberta but I am always looking for new experiences. Smiler tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sending emails and text messages out to everyone that applied. Results of the cow licenses are now available online.
If anyone is looking to build bonus and preference points in Montana you now purchase those online until September 1.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not received any e mails or texts as of today. I have also been trying for two days to find out if my lady has been drawn for that cow elk permit but cannot get through on the web site for Montana.

Usually hunting in beautiful Montana is much simpler. I will try to phone ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no luck with the website; just kept circling the drain without getting anywhere. I finally sent an email to them and they responded politely and quickly. I'm drawn! Looking forward to my first hunt in Montana.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bed looks like it could use a new mattress.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had already seen online that my license draw was successful.

The nice yellow Montana tag came in the mail today though. Smiler

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!! If we weren't cruising during this time, I would be there with my double rifle!! Nothing better than nice tender cow elk!! Maybe next year??

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hntnhrd:
Sending emails and text messages out to everyone that applied. Results of the cow licenses are now available online.
If anyone is looking to build bonus and preference points in Montana you now purchase those online until September 1.

Is there a web site with leftover/OTC licenses?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Firemann
posted Hide Post
I'm already hungry looking at those pictures, nice set up and accommodations.

Posts: 34 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With Quote