Notify
Tools

Alaska brown bear 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted
Hi guy's
I want to offer AR members a brown bear hunt again this year. Sorry I can't make it as cheap as past years but I'm doing all I can to keep prices down.
Details

Alaska Brown bear. $10,500
May or Sept both are available.
You will be guided personally by me the outfitter, Bob Couey Master guide lic #124
Hunt will be in GMU 17 and I will meet the hunter and start the hunt at the Iliamna airport. All transportation camp gear and meals will be provided as part of the hunt from that point after departing the Iliamna airport for the field camp.

Please contact me by phone @ (907) 440-7111
E-mail bobcouey@acsalaska.net
Or here by pm

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a hell of a deal. Already booked with someone else but maybe in 2015.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
I am sure this is a heck of a hunt, but for us non-Alaska bear hunters, what are some of the general details of this. How many days, success rate, lodging, etc. I just don't anything about hunting bear in Alaska...

Thanks!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Sorry guy's I know not much for details, I only have a few minutes in the mornings for computer work.
Basically it's a bare boned tent hunt ( not for everybody)
It's a short flight from the village of Iliamna and I hunt near the boarder of unit 9 and 17. I hunt both sides depending on the season.
Let me direct you to the report another AR member wrote who did this hunt. I think he did a good job of explaining what to expect.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8521043/m/4801055571

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
The dates of the hunt would be anytime in May, 10 days, but I don’t like going before the 10th the bear activity is better after that date.

In the fall anytime in Sept but the same thing applies the last ten days in the month the bear activity slows down.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Sorry guy's I know not much for details, I only have a few minutes in the mornings for computer work.
Basically it's a bare boned tent hunt ( not for everybody)
It's a short flight from the village of Iliamna and I hunt near the boarder of unit 9 and 17. I hunt both sides depending on the season.
Let me direct you to the report another AR member wrote who did this hunt. I think he did a good job of explaining what to expect.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8521043/m/4801055571

Unless you are in a boat, I don't know how else you would hunt bears except in a bare bones tent (hey, there is a pun there).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
AK, can you give us a bit of information concerning your hunts. Success rate and typical sizes of your bears in terms of both skull measurements and "squared"?

I've done two hunts for brownies in Russia, but really want to do an Alaska hunt next time. I'm a serious inquiry so any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of a bear camp where you're "roughing it" a bit more than is typical.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the idea of a bear camp where you're "roughing it" a bit more than is typical.

What, no scooters? Don't forget the Blaser, at least :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
I like the idea of a bear camp where you're "roughing it" a bit more than is typical.

What, no scooters? Don't forget the Blaser, at least :-)

Ha! If I were to do this one Jon, it would be a proper rifle for sure. A CZ 416 Rigby! I'd be worried if Bob shared a tent with a Blaser shooter! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a very similar hunt in the Dillinger Pass in the Alaskan Range....definitely worth it and a great price as well. Here's my guy.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Biebs:
I've done a very similar hunt in the Dillinger Pass in the Alaskan Range....definitely worth it and a great price as well. Here's my guy.

Did you shoot him with a real rifle or one of those Bla---how do you spell that?

Just kidding. Otherwise sheep camp would be interesting :-)

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Todd Williams

quote:
AK, can you give us a bit of information concerning your hunts. Success rate and typical sizes of your bears in terms of both skull measurements and "squared"?I've done two hunts for brownies in Russia, but really want to do an Alaska hunt next time. I'm a serious inquiry so any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of a bear camp where you're "roughing it" a bit more than is typical.

Todd I have good bears in my area, but I won't say it is right up there with those lower Penn areas where you can comfortably Hold out for a bear over 9'. I have them but I hate seeing a hunter turn down anything over 8&1/2 feet if he expects that a 10 foot bear will come if he just puts the time in.

The average bear my hunters take is around 8&1/2 feet. I've taken a bear as big as 10'7" and many in the 9's.

Success is pretty good. most hunters I take see a number of bears and an opportunity to shoot. I would like to say that translates into 100% success but That doesn't account for the hunter being out of shape for the stalk or bad shooting. If you are in decent shape and do your part with you're rifle and you don't turn down a good bear waiting on a booner I will say you have an 80% chance.

I like some of the comments you guys here have made about accommodations, You hit the nail on the head about what it takes to hunt big bears. Many outfitters have lodges and cabins but with some exceptions those places are staging areas and the real hunt takes place somewhere in the area in a camp just like mine.

As for skull size I think the sculls on the bears in my area don't measure as large as the lower Penn or Kodiak. That 10'7" bear I mentioned earlier had a scull under 27". on the other hand another hunter in my camp took a bear a little over 9' that had a skull measuring 28&13/16th. That's just an age thing

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Biebs, nice pictures ! This kind of hunt I like Smiler Maybe I should join Toddyboy with a Blaser ?? Big Grin

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the inquiries. I still have some room for 2014 if anyone is interested.
A September bear hunt could have the possibility of a moose or wolf add on for a trophy fee.
Thanks
Bob Couey (907) 440-7111

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124