Find
Notify
Tools

here is my 2010 Mt Goat offer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted
Our fall plans have changed and this change allows us to offer this late October hunt.

October 17th to 26th ....

We don't use pontoon planes but do use a float plane to get into the Goat lake and the charter fare is included in the hunt rate ...

The Goats will have LONG WINTER HAIR ...... S SE Alaska (the Misty Fjords especially) is known for it's jumbo B&C scoring Goats.

The hunt will take place in the Misty Fjords Wilderness Area and National Park based from a backpack tent camp.

Your jet travel should be scheduled from your home to Seattle to Ketchikan via Alaska Airlines. Most hunters arrive in Ketchikan about 4 pm. Since the airport is on an Island across from Ketchikan it is usually about 5:30 pm before you get checked into a motel. There are several motels to choose from but most of my past hunters have stayed at the Best Western Landing.

We will help you with all your arrangements and meet you upon your arrival at the Ketchikan jet port.

The next day (weather permitting) we will fly with my long time pilot Jeff Carlin of Carlin Air to a lake in the Misty Fjords. We will then backpack up to one of our upper mountain camping areas.

You will be guided by Registered Guide Bob Warren. Bob has been hunting this area for over 14 years.

Bob has worked for Muskeg Excursions for over 14 years. Working his way from a Packer to Assistant Guide to Class A Guide and now a Registered Guide and has become one of the best Goat guides in SE Alaska.

There will also be a packer / camp help on this hunt.

We have guided many of our hunters to their trophy Mt Goat. We are very knowledgeable at field identifying Goats and Goat horn length.

This Hunt Has Options:

We will schedule this for 10 days of hunting. When the Mt Goat is taken we have the option to continue to hunt Black Bear, Wol and Wolverine out of Goat camp or relocate over to Prince of Wales and continue the hunt for Sitka Blacktail Deer or Black Bear, if time permits.

The hunt rate is $9000 for the hunt. A trophy fee of $1000 per additional animal (Deer / Black Bear charged on success) past the Mt Goat tag except for Wolf / Wolverine which is no extra fee. The charter fare is covered in the cost of the hunt. There could be relocation costs to Prince of Wales, it varies, and is done by air or by ferry, which runs daily. We just take it as it goes during our relocation, depending when we get back to town from the mainland. If an overnight stay is required in Ketchikan during the relocation those costs are up to you.

General Overview:

Being in very good physical condition for the hunt is a must.

Physical as well as mental preparedness is very important for Goat hunting. Especially on this coastal hunt. There could be weather delaying flights and no visibility hunt days.

We have hunted this area over the years and are very familiar with it. A B&C quality Goat is very possible. In the last 3 / 4 years our 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 year old Goats, we've taken, have scored B&C. This is because of our past mild winters and exceptional horn growth in the young Goats.

This is a backpack style hunt. I have some extra gear for your use if you need it.

Extra Costs:

Caulk boots are required for this hunt. I will assist you in selecting your caulks from Hoffman Boots, logging boot section. Good rainwear is a must.

Extra costs will also include license and tags, room and board while in Ketchikan before and after the hunt and if we need to over night while relocating to POW Island during the hunt. POW relocation travel costs. Your jet travel costs, license and tags, meat / cape / hide / antlers / horns shipping costs.

Your airline reservations would need at least a 12 to 14 day jet spread.

I am a vendor and have all necessary licenses and tags on hand. Non-resident hunting license fees are $85, Mt Goat tag is $300, Deer tag is $150, Wolf tag is $30, Wolverine tag is $175 and Black Bear tag is $225. Cross tagging is possible and we can discuss that option.

If this sounds like the hunt your looking for give me a call at 907 225-9513 or drop me an email.

jlaird@kpunet.net

Johnnie Laird
po box 9513 Ketchikan ak

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
2009 ...

Steve's Oct Goat scored 49 7/8 official B&C

Anthony's Sept Goat scored 52 official P&Y

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post

George took this 51 2/8 B&C Mt Goat on his Oct '07 hunt
It took 3rd place in the APHA / SCI 2008 Awards
It also took the APHA / FNAWS 2008 Animal of the Year Award

One of Us
posted Hide Post
October and no snow? That surprises me. Looks like a great hunt though. One that is on my want list...just not in the cards right now. Another 2 yrs. of waiting.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great deal.
I dont think they make rain gear that will work in that area. Need a wet suit.
Glad I have my Goat but if I needed one this is a hunt I would jump on quick like a bunny.
Good luck
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried your email it was kicked back failed delivery
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
My email is jlaird@kpunet.net

phone is 907 225-9513 here in ketchikan.

My web site is www.muskegexcursions.com

I see I misspelled my email and have corrected it. Thanks for the heads up.

PM headed your way elk88101 ...

Johnnie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sixty-plus years old, six-two and two twenty-five. Is there an extra charge for hauling me back when the climb causes me to "stroke out"? Would you need to quarter me?

Seriously, this looks like one heckuva deal for someone in decent shape.

Good Luck.

Rich
I guess I could parachute in...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
LOL .... Idaho Sharpsooter ...

I'm 63 and I leave the Guiding up to my my young and tough Guide partners. But I will be packing on 2 earlier season Mt Goat hunts. I am looking forward to the hard work. I am starting a gym work out schedule and plan to loose 20 or more lbs.

That is what everyone who is planning on a Goat hunt this fall should be putting into motion.

Plus doing some hikes carrying a pack from time to time getting those shoulders in pack shape.

Also one of the reasons we schedule these hunts for 10 days. So we don't have to RUN up the mountain to get into position.

My Guide partner Bobby says "it's all FLAT, it's just a state of mind" .....

One thing about it coming back to the lake for pick-up ... is usually ALL DOWNHILL.