Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Matt what do primers and powder cost down there

----local to Darwin-- --

powder on a per pound basis

primers per 1000

also do you know what the quantity restriction on brass and bullets is for luggage if any

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum primers are probably about $6/100, powder is $45/lb (havent bought any for a few years).

There is no quantity restriction on projectiles and brass - but you will need to check if the USA has some requirements (export permit, etc).

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
Matt on another point

we are changing out the bottom medal on a Remington 700

I added a clip with a 10 round magazine

that's done now and the rifle both feeds and shoots like a dream but

is a Remington bolt action rifle that is set up to clip feed up to 10 rounds

OK to bring to Australia

plan on sending it to Darwin with 4-5 clips and using it on cull hunts when I drop in

do you know if that can that be done?

thing is that it is a left hand action so hard to get in camp

it is a 375 H&H at this point we did that round just for compatibility with local ammunition supplies

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
Matt on another point

we are changing out the bottom medal on a Remington 700

I added a clip with a 10 round magazine

that's done now and the rifle both feeds and shoots like a dream but

is a Remington bolt action rifle that is set up to clip feed up to 10 rounds

OK to bring to Australia

plan on sending it to Darwin with 4-5 clips and using it on cull hunts when I drop in

do you know if that can that be done?

thing is that it is a left hand action so hard to get in camp

it is a 375 H&H at this point we did that round just for compatibility with local ammunition supplies
Yes 10-shot mags for B/acction is fine.

How do you mean by 'send it' and 'drop in'? You mean when you get here?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
good news on the clip for a 700 Remington bolt gun

here is the USA link for the 700 Remington conversion TO A 375 h&h CLIP SYSTEM

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...able-Magazine/Detail

I had butch searcy export a rifle to 338user's gunsmith or import-- guy few years back

so may try to do that with Barry in Darwin

or have him buy a LEFT HAND 700 Remington and do the conversion down there if that's simple enough to do

just working out the kinks

as for the drop in ---will come down the Singapore air route to Darwin if all the hardware is in place

please check on the going price for gunpowder and whats on the shelf [walk in] when you get a chance

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a fun bowhunt as well! Could really test some heavy gear. 10-50 meters is nothing.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in anything that you can tell me about a 10 shot 700 .375 H&H. I've got a Custom Shop rifle that would love one. Big Grin

I just dropped my 7 shot CZ off at the gunsmith to get a three thread setback. That might get me in the game too.

Belt-fed four/five/eight any Winkone?

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
well my story is simple

need a left hand "disposable"

so pulled one of my old Remington 700 left hand rifles in 7mm win mag off the gun rack

Took it to Joe Smithson gun maker

gave him 300 usd he ordered a wyatt bottom rig for 240 usd

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...able-Magazine/Detail

we got it in a week

did a touch of milling to the receiver

the bottom medal dropped in and the clip snapped on and it was a 8-10 round --single stack-- clip feed 7mm win mag

---will feed all belted cartridges up to 375 h&h---

now we are pulling the barrel and installing a 375 H&H barrel

300 usd

at that point may order the Bell & Carson stock that includes the medal frame 264 usd

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/Categories

there will be some work to set up sights after that

and the need to buy 3-4 more clips

but that should about do it

will put a pic up when I get a bit further along

here is the clip conversion video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-smlCehSYd0

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
we went with a 375 H&H

as

the single stack Wyatt bottom medal system feeds that round with no adjustment necessary

so

better than 375 ruger for ammunition availability in Australia and same ballistic foot print

we chose not to go with a control round feed action

why ... well the Remington is smother faster and shoots a touch more accurate

all that added to a up welling of 8 rounds of 375 bullets may make the difference between 7 head a day and 27 head a day

it is just possible that this will take the pressure off and free me up to go crocodile egg collecting with Johnnie next year

I know the push feed is anti African

and may get me killed any time soon

but it is quitE pro Australia buffalo cull hunting

so friendly ---- in my dry grass opinion

ha

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
here is a link to the rest of the 2013 photos of this hunt

http://s181.photobucket.com/us...20Hunt?sort=3&page=1

video coming a bit later needs to be edited first

to avoid in country legal ramifications

how is that work coming along BARRY !!

HA

One of Us
Picture of GunsmokeAdventures
posted Hide Post
Hey frank! Been busy hunting an elk in MOntana. Finally on a flight home that wasn't cancelled due to snow conditions and should be able to get onto some video editing sometime soon

Info@gunsmokeadventures.com.au
+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
I have business for you pm me when you get home and have had time to sleep off those redneck Montana cowboys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email sent Frank

+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
gents

Barry is putting a 3 fold together on the gun-smoke cull hunt for 2014

this will be a hand out for the [[[dsc sci]]] shows

any one wanting one now pm me your email and I will send you an electronic copy

my roll here is to tell enough lies about the hunt

--safety
--comfort
--free whisky
--professional execution
--gentlemanly behavior
--moral compliance
--etc.

to get enough guys to buy the hunt next year to completely ruin my chances of ever again having such a wonderful virgin cull hunt

like the one I took in 2013 ----as my Canadian friend warns me

Barry is booked through Aug some in Sep so more than 1/3 full now

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
TTT

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
this is a link to the culling rifle

http://s181.photobucket.com/us....jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post

Today at 6:24 AM

this is a rem 700 with Wyatt bottom medal and a 8 round mag then the trigicon sight system

the 21 inch barrel is a heavy take off from a ruger # 1 Joe cut down and chambered to 458 win mag

the belt holds 5 spare clips so you are in the fray with up to 48 rounds of 458 win mag ammo [5 in belt 1 in gun so 6x8=48]

no running out in the middle of a mob gun fight and no running back to the truck when you empty your pockets

with 500 rounds of ammunition layed in to camp-- you could shoot it all and reload 2 times a day for five days and still have one box left at the end of the week

about right for a 100 buffalo cull hunt

will post the pic's of the 375 hh when we get it done

will post pic's of the culling belt for the .577 as well

gun wt is 9 pounds we will lead the stock and up it to 11pounds glass the action in and shoot it 300-400 times to shake every thing down then it will be ready to go cull buffalo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank - I like the set up and the fact that I wont be running for more ammo next time. Tony will be broken though when he finds out you have chambered in .458 Wm !

+61438860510

One of Us
Picture of rgrx1276
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Any issues using a 338 win mag on this cull?

Thanks,

Rgrx

Posts: 45 | Location: Israel and Florida | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Counting the months down now; whiling away the time working up .458 loads. Gotta find out if CEBs are all they're cracked up to be. There shouldn't be any question after 50 buff with A-Frames and 50 with Safari Raptors. Or 20 of each for that matter.

Don't you just love a science project? Big Grin

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that you would be exploring belt-fed options by now.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
the belt is a great idea

rgrx1276 the 338 win mag is just right for a

cull rifle I used one the last day and it worked great

pm me will give you more detail

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
rgrx to clarify on the last day shot 25 buffalo with that 338 win mag by noon

by the end of the day we had racked up 29 for a day count after a rather leisure lunch in town so

a few of em took 3 shots many did not

338 win mag barns x bullet

deadly combination pm sent

if you take a friend its more fun and the fast shooting at first contact gets more down with 2 rifles running allowing for more follow up shots once you get 3-4 down the mob tends to hang around then you can bump and kill em for a quarter mile or more in a long string across a cathedral forest of paper bark trees nothing quite like it any where else I have ever hunted

puts one in the zone hard to get over

not to mention is a much more affordable hunt when you split the travel to and from camp with a buddy

shooting them all by your lonesome makes for a rather active week allowing very little rest for the new guy so just saying

once you get your shoulder sore your done

that wont happen with a 338 another key point when you are shooting that much game all day every day all week only takes one loose mount up to set up a bruise site if you don't shoot big bores a bunch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
to get enough guys to buy the hunt next year to completely ruin my chances of ever again having such a wonderful virgin cull hunt

Virgins are so rare that they hardly need culling. "Wonderful virgins" have got to be rarer than 4 point unicorns.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
dogleg a lot of the 2014 is now sold out so some one is cutting ice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm one of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, any hunts left for 2014? 1x1 or 1x2 ok. I am local so can go at shortish notice.

Best wishes for your endeavours.

Regards,

michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aussie Mike ,there is still one spot available in August 2x1 hunt contact Barry

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, and if you take it there'll be a couple AR members to talk guns with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I, ll take it! Can't get on to PH by phone, have left messages so he's probably out bush but hopefully
this will reach him. Has anyone had success with the phone number in the first post?

I'll try and ring again now.

Thanks for the info,

michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike,
yes I was out bush. The dates to hunt with tank hunter is a good option.

+61438860510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just did an early season hunt in May. Access was a little difficult with waters still receeding but the hunters shot 135 buffalo in 5 days

Here is a few pics

+61438860510