Notify
Tools

Buffalo Cull Hunts 2014
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GunsmokeAdventures
posted
Hunts are for Water buffalo ion the Northern Territory Australia

This is an awesome hunt and opportunity to harvest a huge amount of animals (up to 20 buffalo per day between the two hunters)
There is a large population of buffalo in the region. The hunts are for non-trophy animals and no skinning or taking of horns will be permitted
The hunts are conducted in remote Arnhem Land concession. This is aboriginal land there are restrictions on alcohol consumption in this region

With the recent hunt report from AR member "Stradling" and the interest in these hunts please find attached the 2014 Pricing

Hunts are on the basis of 2 hunters and 1 professional guide @ $6500 per hunter (5 days/4 nights)
(Note 1x1 hunts are available at $8500 per hunter)

Price includes……

 Up to 10 animals per day/per hunter
 Food and non alcoholic drinks
 Accommodation
 Aboriginal Land access fee
 Airport pickup(local community airstrip)
 hunting vehicle and all transport on the concession
 Complimentary Rifle hire if required (.338 win mag or .375 H&H available)

Extras
 Ammunition if required for a loan rifle is provided at cost price (you will need additional ammo as you can not bring enough on the airplane!!)
 Assistance fee to obtain international visitors permit (if required) $200
 Air or road transfers to the concession
Transfer days @ $200 per day (recommended for international visitors to ensure 5 full hunting days)

Options for transfer to the concession are

a) Commercial flight Mon/Wed/Fri (1 hour flight ) EX Darwin to the nearby Aboriginal community @ $600 one way per person
b) A private charter Ex Darwin to private airstrip on the concession and can be arranged to take up to 4 of you for approx $3000 one way
c) Vehicle transfer Ex Darwin (7-8 hour trip) to take up to 4 of you @ $750 one way

Prices are quoted in US dollars

Info@gunsmokeadventures.com.au
+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt. Would it be possiblle to ship ammo or components ahead of time before the hunt? I am not sure about import or export laws for AU or US.

Thanks.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Impala

I am not speaking for the outfitter, but my take is that it would be very difficult to ship either loaded ammo or components separately. There is a lot of regulation to get this out of the US, and also into Australia.

If you are worried about weight on your flight over, it would probably be easier to ship your clothes and other equipment and travel on the flight with your rifle and components.

Just note that you can not transport primers or powder in packaged form (ie it is ok in loaded ammo, but not as component parts). Also note that while airlines limit ammo to 5kg max, there are no specific weight restrictions on travelling with cases and bullets (projectiles) so far as I know (certainly have never had any issues traveling via Qantas as they are most concerned about loaded ammo).

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concur with the above.

Shipping ammo from the US would be prohibitively expensive, separate from the vast rheems of paperwork required at the US end.

Buying powder and primers here is logical anyway.

Carrying extra empty cases and projectiles
isn't a bad idea and I have done it myself
to the NT.

But with all the stuffing around, it might
be worth the outfitter trying to get a special bulk buy on some ammo by pre ordering from one of the gunshops who waits for a special knowing he has a buyer already.

They are pretty amicable up there to that sort of thing.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentelmen. I thought it would be difficult to ship ammo. Possibily taking bullets and cases in addition to your loaded ammo is worth looking into. If the outfitter has a press, dies and components, that could keep the high volume shooting costs down. The outfitter buying ammo in bulk is also a possibity.

I was thinking this type of hunt would be great for testing different bullet and load combinations.

Looks like a great hunt.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I was thinking this type of hunt would be great for testing different bullet and load combinations."

Impala

It is exactly what Woodleigh do.

Slaughter a whole load of Buffalo in a short period of time.

I will say one thing, if you are not careful it can take away some of the fun because you are trying to sort out what you are using, which animal you shot with which.

If you do that, don't overdo it and try to use
one test load per day or one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO - The best option for extra ammo is for the hunter to order it in Australia and have it delivered to a Darwin gunshop for pickup. Yes it will cost you extra but freight is expensive across the water.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:

But with all the stuffing around, it might be worth the outfitter trying to get a special bulk buy on some ammo by pre ordering from one of the gunshops who waits for a special knowing he has a buyer already.
I am going to blame YOU when AR clients ask me to do this!!!!!! Mad rotflmo

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL Matt Big Grin

I like your suggestion better.

3 main gunshops, I am sure one of them will help out, especially since most people drive past two of them on the way out of town !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like an interesting hunt for trying out your DG rifle and ammo and getting some experience shooting at large game.
Three questions;
Average shooting distance?
How many animals per day if hunting 1x1?
Number of animals expected to shoot per day if limiting to shooting distances of 25 meters or less?

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As per the above advice it is best to order all ammo that you will require above the allowable 5kg airline limit....I suggest that you bring your own loads for your double rifle and then order ammo for your bolt action or our loan rifles to make up the balance of the 200 rounds that you will need on a 2x1 hunt.

Answers to some other questions .....

most shots are between 15m - 50m with the occasional one over 100m. Shots on multiple animals are without shooting sticks and you will gain skills and confidence in field freehand shooting during your hunt

It depends on the number of animals sighted and the ability of the hunters but typically the two hunters will be shooting somewhere between 5-15 animals per day each. Most hunting groups hunting 2x1 are tallying close to the allowable 100 animals in the 5 days hunting

a 1x1 hunter requiring that all shots are under 25 metres and with a double rifle only (rather than a bolt action with larger capacity) will have to expect that a lower number of animals will be harvested. Multiple opportunities on animals can still be expected everyday

+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Availability 19 -25th of August (inclusive of travel days) for a hunter to team up with another AR member who has already booked and paid a deposit.... and would now like to hunt 2x1

If you are thinking of taking this hunt but didn't have a hunting buddy here is a good opportunity

+61438860510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it that there will also be a crazy Canadian around at that time. He's not too bad if you don't mind talking about guns and hunting all the time.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you are referring to yourself and not Shootaway Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, I meant option #1. Big Grin

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Graves
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsmokeAdventures:
Availability 19 -25th of August (inclusive of travel days) for a hunter to team up with another AR member who has already booked and paid a deposit.... and would now like to hunt 2x1

If you are thinking of taking this hunt but didn't have a hunting buddy here is a good opportunity

These dates could work out for me. Can you PM me with details about who the other hunter is please?

Posts: 56 | Location: United States | Registered: 11 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Darwin last year the gunshop near the airport was selling 375H&H Federal for $45. a box and Remington was $100. a box. This could be a great opportunity to hunt with the famous Shootaway at no extra charge!! This hunt is a great way to "prove" your new double gun and see what you and it can do.

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pricing a good example of why I said, either on this thread or the other thread about pre ordering ammo.

I reckon you could get that Federal ammo down to $40 if purchased on special and in quantities of more than 2 boxes, like 4 - 5 or more (I know a fair few shops will say 10% off for 5 or more or a case).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look carefully at any budget ammo - even for cows...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buffalo is a pretty mean thing to do to a bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you class Federal as Budget ammo ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you class Federal as Budget ammo ?
Confused they have about half a dozen different lines of ammo!!!

If you are talking about the Vital Shok 'blue box' then yes it is budget. Good budget ammo though I probably wouldnt use it on buffalo cull where there was likelyhood of shooting bulls. We have used some 300g/375 blue box on cows and it is OK - but I would still be investing in better ammo if it was my hunt. Which factory ammo, would depend on caliber. Myself, I would just handload Woodleighs and be done with it - but that is difficult for the O/S visitor.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK.

I have used Federal Power Shok (Blue Box) and yes, it isn't perfect but better than S&B Big Grin
And I do carry some Premium normally anyway.

Could be a service in Darwin for a reloader !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK.

I have used Federal Power Shok (Blue Box) and yes, it isn't perfect but better than S&B Big Grin
And I do carry some Premium normally anyway.
Hand thrown rocks would be more reliable than S&B (slight exaggeration there)... not much of a comparison though but yes there is worse ammo thats for sure.

quote:

Could be a service in Darwin for a reloader !!!
There is a need Australia-wide - but there are too many problems associated with someone doing this and being legal and viable. I have run the figures and it just doesnt work....

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we recommend and use federal PREMIUM ammo with Barnes X projectiles.
Please don't bring federal cheap ammo. You will use 3 times as much and will also then be paying for all the back up ammo that I use

+61438860510

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
it takes hard bullets to hold buffalo to the ground

a soft cheep round will not do much I shot one box of soft bullets in tony's 375 h&h every single animal had to be re shot by tony using a .338 using barns x bullets --to even stop it

we did used soft bullets in the 308 for johnny to finish off the stuff down on the ground close head shots but that's it

its a very affordable hunt lots of shooting

catch is you will need to spend a bit on 300 rounds of ammo with hard bullets

thats the simple and basic issue here

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the very few hunts where the cost of the actual hunting ammo has to be factored into the cost, and maybe cartridge selection that takes availability into consideration.

It makes you wonder about the logistics of the old time six month foot safaris with 150 porters to feed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we recommend and use federal PREMIUM ammo with Barnes X projectiles.
Please don't bring federal cheap ammo. You will use 3 times as much and will also then be paying for all the back up ammo that I use

tu2

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunts are for Water buffalo ion the Northern Territory Australia

This is an awesome hunt and opportunity to harvest a huge amount of animals (up to 20 buffalo per day between the two hunters)
There is a large population of buffalo in the region. The hunts are for non-trophy animals and no skinning or taking of horns will be permitted
The hunts are conducted in remote Arnhem Land concession. This is aboriginal land there are restrictions on alcohol consumption in this region

With the recent hunt report from AR member "Stradling" and the interest in these hunts please find attached the 2014 Pricing

Hunts are on the basis of 2 hunters and 1 professional guide @ $6500 per hunter (5 days/4 nights)
(Note 1x1 hunts are available at $8500 per hunter)

Price includes……

 Up to 10 animals per day/per hunter
 Food and non alcoholic drinks
 Accommodation
 Aboriginal Land access fee
 Airport pickup(local community airstrip)
 hunting vehicle and all transport on the concession
 Complimentary Rifle hire if required (.338 win mag or .375 H&H available)

Extras
 Ammunition if required for a loan rifle is provided at cost price (you will need additional ammo as you can not bring enough on the airplane!!)
 Assistance fee to obtain international visitors permit (if required) $200
 Air or road transfers to the concession
Transfer days @ $200 per day (recommended for international visitors to ensure 5 full hunting days)

Options for transfer to the concession are

a) Commercial flight Mon/Wed/Fri (1 hour flight ) EX Darwin to the nearby Aboriginal community @ $600 one way per person
b) A private charter Ex Darwin to private airstrip on the concession and can be arranged to take up to 4 of you for approx $3000 one way
c) Vehicle transfer Ex Darwin (7-8 hour trip) to take up to 4 of you @ $750 one way

Prices are quoted in US dollars

Gunsmoke,

May I get on your mailing list jumping
Send me a PM for my details please...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer - PM sent

+61438860510

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
BEST WAY TO TAKE THIS HUNT

MY OPINION ONLY

Best flight in is Brisbane saves 3 hrs. In flight as opposed to the Sydney entry to Australia option

And at 15 hrs. That is a factor when you may be able to do it in 12-13 hrs.

Allow 3 hrs. to clear your guns and bullets in Brisbane before you head off to Darwin

Then on to Darwin I recommend getting in at noon or 1-2 pm taking a room at the airport hotel and sleeping off the travel

Have your Ph. pick you up at 4.30 am to 5 am Sunday morning drive out its 6-8 hrs.

And you will want to see the park, the rock art, the river systems and the geology of the north end on the way to camp ---

So that burns up Sunday get in to the cattle station and settle in for an early start Monday morning

Take 100 rounds of ammunition and arrange for an additional 200 rounds to be available for pickup in Darwin gun shop by;
THE Ph.

on the way out of town, or you will be crying for bullets and bidding them up to 10 usd a round by Wednesday noon when you are all out of the 11#’s the airline allowed you to bring

Monday you hunt with
a guide Tony the station manager
an aboriginal guy Johnny 55 125 pounds real out back native great humor and a movie actor in the movie --10 canoes -- you may want to watch in on you tube before you go it’s all about the 9,000 square kilometers you will be hunting

Then you and your hunting mate, if its 2 of you that go for a fee of $6,500 usd,

you will be riding around in a Toyota small pickup truck and it’s easy to get out of and stock of to kill buffalo Johnny has just spotted for you which none of the rest of us in the truck will have yet seen

--until you learn how to sort out one black ear at 200 yards in a cathedral forest of paper bark trees you will require the impeccable services of Mr. local hunter guide.

the driving on roads and hunting tracks from Monday to Friday will include covering some 1,500 kilometers of road track trail and road less scrub land

[We only got “bushed” up one time in a full week you may not be so lucky]

You will kill as many buffalo as you can hit and knock down so take hard bullets

The 2 man hunt includes 100 cull buffalo the one man I took in 2013 was 75 buffalo 35 to 40 is enough more is full time 5 days of hard work but you can get er done in the last hrs. of the last day of my hunt the cull count was 84 head

Christ I would have loved to take just one ½ day off to go crocodile egg spear fishing

Ammunition I shot was 270 gn 375 ruger Barnes x bullets I reloaded at 2,500 fps a short 22” barrel Alaskan rifle in and out of the truck is just the ticket

However a cz 375 H&H with 6 down one in the tube and 293 rounds in the back seat would be the best THE CAMP RIFLE IF YOU WANT THEM TO PROVIDE THE GUN

Do get the export permit for your rifle and any bullets or brass you plan to take home before you head back

Barry can do this for you on Wednesday while you are still hunting this is critical export license for your firearm

ALSO the freight on the return flight from camp or the cattle station will be a killer at $10 au per kilo for all wt. over 13 kilo so you may pay 300 usd for the gun box and the travel bag to get back to Darwin and if the light plane cannot make room guess what you ain't leaving without your gun are you mate

So just drive back as well it will take about 1 1/2 hrs. More time than driving over caching the plane and clearing the luggage

Also about the same price

And any way the guys in camp like an excuse to go to Darwin after babysitting you for a week

After all it is a dry camp -- who would not need a drink or two at that point

Good people, good hunting grounds, good shooting, and hell of a chance to get a personal tune up with your go to rifle.

You will learn a lot about killing buffalo in a week and 250-300 rounds of hitting meat

My all in cost was:

2.4 k air Salt Lake City Utah to Darwin au and return
8 k hunt
1k extra bullets
1k tip
1k all the this and that --- before during and after hunt

Gun permits .2K, cigars .3K, hotel Darwin .2K, a splash of whisky .XX K, one night on the town in Darwin .2K, – DO NOT --MISS THAT BAR HOPPING RUN

1.5 k getting from and back to Darwin {in and out of the cattle station}
DRIVE IN .75 K, FLIGHT OUT .6K

So about $200.oo usd PER BUFFALO

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty truthful Frank...up until the point where you said you wished you could come catching crocs with us.
I seem to remember you being much less brave when Johnnie offered you the front seat of the boat and to hold the torch sofa

+61438860510

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
1 well it was a quite small boat

2 Johnnie telling me the croc only eats people that are afraid and he knows which one's -- is not -- was not helpful

3 your advice for me to stand in the water deep enough to hide the bleed out -- where I got bit so as to not show team failure like you did when you got bit --be a man-

also not helpful

the real issue was the general lack of Irish whisky in case lots

then the -- un assuring -- vocation of Tony promising me every thing would be handled professionally and in a safe manor

My Me Good God ... people --- got bloody -- when we were just- stealing - live cattle - the goose hunt was less than safe and--though successful-- NOT well organized [belly crawling down mama croc egg nest trails, ok --right up until you get stuck in the bog-- and need to be cowboy roped and drug back out]

and the only reason one or two of us were not taken by croc when we fished the billa bong was because we did not get close enough to catch fish

so did I lie on this forum about wanting to drag a live croc in to a little tiny boat with 3 people that were not afraid, and one that was

YES I lied -- a little bit, left my mother inlaw home

HOWEVER I am bringing my .577 N.E. double and 3 Englishmen next year so do schedule the croc field research adventure for us at that time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOWEVER I am bringing my .577 N.E. double

OK, I'm officially jealous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
HOWEVER I am bringing my .577 N.E. double and 3 Englishmen next year so do schedule the croc field research adventure for us at that time

The crocs love Brits and Europeans Wink

Something to do with the soft white flesh
that doesn't need tenderizing before eating !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so did I lie on this forum about wanting to drag a live croc in to a little tiny boat with 3 people that were not afraid,

Why you need more than a "little tiny boat" Big Grin

This croc is about 17 feet long

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would this be possible to do with the use of a bow now and then between all the bullets flying and gunsmoke all over?

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
you must not use a bow--- it is to be done proper

with spear

be a man about it

by the way 505 that pic of the croc

just makes me sick when I think about the size of Johnnies boat

for a finer point on the local populations preference for the British meat-- its the succulent marbleizing of fat mixed in with un toned muscle fiber

much like the Japanese black Angus stakes

[Kobe beef]

then Adrenalin released in a spurt of mortal fear provides the stake sauce marinated through out -- for an extra special flavor -- unique to US English folks

has absolutely nothing to do with color

Johnnie is 117 pounds tough wire-like not one drop of fat

of course a croc would want

something--

five times as easy to catch

two times the meat

and taste good, eat it right now

--- SMELLS FEAR MY ASS

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
impala 03

Barry has a rcbs press now -- its the $550 usd reloading kit scales case trimmer ect

rock chuck supreme press so good size

has 470 dies and shell holder for that

dies for 375 H&H as well

all that stuff came in while we were on hunt so we opened things up and inspected it when I got back to Darwin after the hunt

what round are you thinking to take over if you were to book a hunt

all components are available in Au

but will cost more than they do here

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

all components are available in Au

but will cost more than they do here
Not necessarily. Woodleighs are a reasonable price - like $1.30 per each or something. You can bring components from the USA too - brass and projectiles at least. Just list them on your import permit to save hassles at the AU customs gate!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV