THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OUTFITTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts    Isla Mujeres, Mexico and possibly Cuba Sailfishing and Hunting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Isla Mujeres, Mexico and possibly Cuba Sailfishing and Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
I will be back down at Isla Mujeres in Feb and March 2018. Isla is one of those places on Earth that you just need to visit. Fly in to Cancun and we pick you up at Airport and take you from the mainland to Isla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVeQ8cS5wA

You will be fishing on a 60 foot Spencer with me or another American Captain from Outer Banks or Florida. The Sail fishing here is the best on the planet. Common to catch 50 sails a day.

We travel for the Blue Wing Teal hunting about two hours west of Cancun in Celestun. If you want, we will visit the Chichen Itza ruins.

Ocellated Turkey hunting also available. These hunts will take place in Campeche about 60 miles North of Yucatan border. I have arranged a charter flight from Cancun for around 400 USD. That is total price for four people. To drive there it takes four hours. I do recommend for at least three hunting days for the turkey. All guns will be rented while in Mexico

Package includes eight nights lodging, food, alcohol, two days fishing, two days duck hunting, tickets to bull fight and day of diving/snorkeling. Accommodations are extremely nice. Price is $3,000 per person. Min party of three. Feel free to call me with any details. I have spent five winters in Isla Mujeres and have fished, surfed and hunted throughout the Yucatan. This is the safest place in the entire country with extremely friendly people. Isla is one of those places that is hard to describe until you see it and experience the festive atmosphere.

Capt. Clark Purvis
252-826-4288

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I am also working on the legalities of fishing and waterfowl hunting in Cuba. We travel about 20 miles off of Cuba when we bring the boat down and back up from the Yucatan.

I have heard so horror stories about some of the accommodations in Cuba. The boat comfortably sleeps five with crew sleeping in forward berth. It has two full state rooms with private baths, full galley, washing machine and most importantly reverse osmosis for clean water. Working through the red tape with guns and will have more information.

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
I will be back down at Isla Mujeres in Feb and March 2018. Isla is one of those places on Earth that you just need to visit. Fly in to Cancun and we pick you up at Airport and take you from the mainland to Isla.

You will be fishing on a 60 foot Spencer with me or another American Captain from Outer Banks or Florida. The Sail fishing here is the best on the planet. Common to catch 50 sails a day.

We travel for the teal hunting about two hours west of Cancun. Ocellated Turkey hunting also available.

Package includes eight nights lodging, food, alcohol, two days fishing, two days duck hunting and day of snorkeling. Accommodations are extremely nice. Price is $3,000 per person. Min party of three. Feel free to call me with any details. I have spent a good deal of time at Isla Mujeres. Great place to visit with extremely friendly people. Isla is one of those places that is hard to describe. Extremely safe and affordable.

Capt. Clark Purvis
252-826-4288

Capitan after you fish Christmas Island and then the Mocambique Channel, get back to me on the best sail fishing on the planet statement. Cool

But I agree that as far as Caribbean fishing is concerned, the area off Cancun is certainly productive for billfish and your pricing is certainly a bargain. Wish I had the time to head that way. Would love to take the 14 weight for a spin.

I know a few guys who have fished Cuban waters and came away very disappointed. The Russian trawlers have done their damage in the area it seems. Sad because the area was once legendary for billfishing. Will be interesting to see if that ever changes...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
In 2008 we caught 100 sails in one day twelve miles South of Isla.

Christmas island is a destination I would love to experience. Understand the bone fishing is unreal. Bone and Tarpon fly fishing are my favorite. I have been to Guiena but did not have time to fish for one of those 200 pound tarpons. Lots of great fishing throughout Africa. Biggest largemouth that I ever caught was in Zimbabwe.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately bonefishing has died down a lot at Christmas from what I hear. Same with the Seychelles. One can still can jump some huge GTs at the Seychelles but the $$$$ is ridiculous today. Billfishing on both sides of Africa still remains strong but it is a mission to make it happen. And if you get into trouble, there are not a lot of alternatives.

But have to agree that 100 sails a day is freaking impressive no matter where one goes to fish. tu2

I try to hit El Pescador in Belize for the bones, tarpon and permit. About the only place I know where one has a good shot at a Grand Slam. Love that place.

Not sure they will allow me back on Isla. I manage to destroy several golf carts over the years. Oh well, Mexicans seem to have lost their sense of humor... at least with me. I recall something about threats to my family if I didn't leave immediately.

Crap, now I want to go fishing... Frowner

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have almost wrecked a few myself but that was back in my wilder younger days. One of our mates ran one off the dock next to Ballyhoos. I got a video of it and will try and dig up

Pasmuchas cervezas y tequila estuvieron implicadossed! dancing

Another friend passed out in the street in front of Kokonuts. He had cash in his hands and wallet. All of his money was still there when he work up that morning. Where else will that happen in Mexico?

Captain Clark Purvis

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Interesting, keep me posted.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested, when is a good time to call?

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Call or text anytime. 252-826-4288..

Trying to remember where I put that video. I have not thought about that in years. I have a good amount of CDs and old VCR tapes that I need to go through.

This VHF tape has a video of same guy, Big Wave Dave, involved in one of the bull fights. Twenty years ago they would throw a football helmet into the crowd. Crowd would pass along until someone one was crazy enough to put it on and jump in the ring. Those Spanish Fighting Bulls are like Cape Buffalo that can turn flips in the air. Mean as hell.

That particular day Big Wave was drunk and crazy enough to get in the ring. He stole the show. He was real quick and squirrelly anyway which made him such a good mate. Great eyes and quick reflexes. He rarely missed a billfish and was a great surfer.

I can still hear that stadium shouting Toro. Got to find that video. Adding a trip to the bull fight on this package!

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cart in ocean - geeeez and all this time I thought I was an expert.

Well done!

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming theses are OBX boats. Which two boats are they?

Posts: 394 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Private sport fishing yacht. Owner allows a few charters to help pay for fuel and dockage. This is a common practice for private Carolina boats. Not sure who will be running each Charter but it will be a full time Captain most likely from OBX. We all work together and you will have an experienced crew. If you have a specific date I can give you more details.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just spent a couple of day on the front of my trip to the Riveria Maya on Isla. It is beautiful and this something I would love to do. The food outside of isla wasn't that great, but I was at a resort. I would really love to do this.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
That's dirt cheap.

Posts: 2325 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Any chance of say 5 nights 4 days of Fishing only?

Posts: 2325 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Yes. No problem.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
All of the turkey hunting will be in the state of Campeche and this is an upgrade that is not a part of the above package.

Many of you will enjoy the Bull Fight. I will not be putting on the football helmet and getting in the ring unless members of AR
put up a high betting poolholycow

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you wear the gold spandex with the football helmet?

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:

Depends on how high the pool gets. I have lots of college tuition to pay and need that compounded interest! diggin

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Depends on how high the pool gets. I have lots of college tuition to pay and need that compounded interest! diggin

More like compound fractures.

The Wojo's are in for this trip (plus a friend). Sounds like a screaming deal. beer

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7586 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Looks awesome! 100 sails in a day is mind blowing stuff !

J&J - when are you thinking of going?

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap this looks awesome! Maybe in the cards for 2019 if it is offered again in a year or so.

Posts: 247 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Looks awesome! 100 sails in a day is mind blowing stuff !

J&J - when are you thinking of going?

Charlie

March, 2018 sometime. Haven't hammered the exact dates yet. We have another friend going with us to make three and I have to coordinate him as well.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7586 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
The day we caught 100 was the best day that I ever had. Fishing there is really good but it is not like they are jumping in the boat. I would say that 35 to 50 Sails a day is a good average. If you are an experienced angler and know how to set the hook on billfish the number goes up. We will spend time training you and it is easy to get a feel for dropping back the dink baits. Everyone misses fish and you will see that setting the hook is the most fun part of the fight. I also like seeing them jump with their sail pulled out tight.

The amount of fish on the bait balls is impressive.

The day we caught 100 it was all professional Captains and Mates on the boat. We were trying to break a record for the most releases in a day but we were not successful.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark,
I am going to be in carribean, we have been leaning towards playa mujeres. There are two couples. We would be staying at secrets playa mujeres, members there. So can we do just a couple days of fishing with out the resprt stuff? Of so what is boat cost per day? I have fished sails in sea of cortez and costa, but the bait balls spind fun. We are probably giong to do the snorkel thing with them as well, since you are not allowed to dive with them
Brent

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

More like compound fractures.

The Wojo's are in for this trip (plus a friend). Sounds like a screaming deal. beer

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

Jim,

Glad to see that you and Joyce are finally going to experience duck hunting! You'll love shooting teal.

Dan

Posts: 3844 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also Clark, do run into any blues or striped while fishing? Dorado possibly

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Dorado yes. If you want to experience some of the best Dorado fishing on Earth, I recommend Cape Hatteras. We call them dolphin most refer them to Mahi. May, June and July are the best fishing months. We catch gaffers and bailer size fish. Gaffers are the larger and bailers are the smaller. We also catch the big bulls which are know for their strength and high head shaking jumps. Typically when we get our limit of Mahi which is 60 then head to the continental droop to pull big baits for Blue Marlin.
Below is a video of JD and Hunter getting it done off of Hatteras during The Marlin Club Tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D0yY2nYeqc

Below is a package for Hatteras that is still available.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/4701028922

Striped Marlins are only found in the Pacific but if you want to target Blue Marlins I have a friend that takes his boat to the Dominican Republic. The DR is not as safe as Isla but we stay in a type of resort compound and have guides with you at all times. Many of the problems in the DR are due to its proximity to Haiti. We use to fish out of Venezuela but it is no longer safe. I can tell you some stories about that place.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clark, i have fished out of hatteras harbor before, kiiled kings. I was referring to any other fish caught at isla. I know DR can be smoking hot for blues in june/july.
For the isla trip four of us will be staying at secrets playa mujeres kn the main land late next feb. ao no need for resort package, just looking for day rate for fishing. Would rather go with someone from AR rather than Fish on the Keen oit of isla

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
That would be no problem and we can pick you up in Cancun at the Marina Hacienda Del Mar in the hotel zone. I will send you a pm.

Captain Clark Purvis