New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone wanna grizz hunt this month???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well my hunters are cancelling cause of covid for one reason or another. I have baits out and I have time.
If baits are doing it we’ll atv up into some high country and glass, maybe do some grayling fishing.
Make me an offer. I’ll consider any reasonable offer if your flexible on dates.
Went thru the work and cost of getting baits out. Might as well use them.
Fly to anchorage. Current stipulation is you need a negative covid test within 72 hours or they will test you at the anchorage airport. Not sure how long results take on those currently.
Drop me a line. Let’s see what we can do.
Jake jefferson
@07-414-9471 text is best

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
9 is the first number of his number for those who want to get in touch.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edited because I'm a moron from time to time.

Posts: 246 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justanotherhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
9 is the first number of his number for those who want to get in touch.

Assuming ~$9k is the ball park that is a flat out steal for a guided grizzly hunt in Alaska.

I think that he's talking about his phone number.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol, good catch. Serves me right for reading/responding while stuck in construction stops on the highway!

Posts: 246 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Jake, Do you have any trail camera photos of the grizzlies that are hitting the barrel?

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have this hunt lined out with someone. Waiting on some logistics and some active baits.
Bob I check the baits last week and nothing yet, still spring up in the mountains. Gonna get beavers hung and baits checked again this week.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I wish I could do this.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

So did this hunt sell?

Any pictures off the trail cameras?

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake off work with time let me know what’s going on extremely bored...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Season is closed for baiting now. Had two guys lined up that backed out while the bears were hitting the bait but to late to do anything about it.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear it, Jake. What a mess this whole covid thing has become.

I hope to be able to do a bear hunt with you someday soon.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That's a real nice grizzly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're not kidding. That may well be the biggest interior grizz I've ever seen. Congrats to the hunters.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Tony Lee a couple of days ago who I represent and these guys work for. He said they killed a bigger bear from the lodge and another 8'plus was seen and turned down by a young hunter who liked a blond sow better. Patience can pay off big on this type of hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Bob Bondy--son of Claude & Jennifer killed a big grizzly up there last year or the year before. Claude wrote about it over at Alaska Outdoor Forums. Looks like they are getting some of those calf eating bruisers.

Hard to pass an 8' grizzly but I've been known to chase a few blondes too.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
LOL---you type faster than me.

Looks like it rains up there Smiler

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I am just curious about bear hunting, but don't know much. Although I've hunted many of deer from a blind by a feeder, I can't stand it. Often, it's the only way to hunt them on certain properties. It still beats being in the city, but I will take a book with me. I enjoy the sounds of the outdoors, but I will listen to music though headphones also during the times well before expecting any traffic so that the damn squirrels don't get me thrown off.

How is baiting bear different? I've heard it's about putting a trashcan of donuts out there and waiting. Leopard baiting still doesn't seem too different, but those who have done it say it's a totally different experience.

I am not trying to hijack, but asking so that it may help neophytes like me. I would likely break the seal on a blackie (if that's ok to say these days?), mainly for the cheaper cost of experience and graduate from there if enjoyed.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Did you at least get to shoot the beavers? The thing about leopard is that you at least shoot impala or whatever for bait unless pre-baiting. Beavers can be the scourge of many.

I enjoy sitting for turkey or varmints, as you are active calling.

So, is it a perforated seal on the dog food?

Once again, I am just learning and not trying to hijack.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
No, the beavers were trapped and skinned ahead of time. The seal in the small to medium sized hole on the side of the bear bait barrel is woven out of willow or some other natural material in order to keep the bait inside, but the bear has to work to pull it out and get to the bait. I've shot two leopard and I know how much fun it is to shoot your own bait animals, but not in this situation. Big Grin It's an eerie feeling sitting in the Alaskan twilight and watching a bait, only to see a grizz suddenly appear right at the bait out of nowhere, or to hear a grizz killing a moose calf and the calf and mom are both in distress, or to see a grizz right out front of the blind and not hear it coming.

That does sound cool. Thanks.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted bears spot and stalk, with hounds and over bait.

I list them in order of fun and excitement hounds, spot and stalk then bait.

Nothing wrong with any of them just a different way of hunting.

When sitting on a bait it is amazing how all of a sudden a bear well be there. They can walk very quietly.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread has long been hijacked. Dropping other guides names,
Photos of other people’s guides and their bears....etc.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jake. Posts deleted. My sincere apologies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Sorry Jake. Posts deleted. My sincere apologies.

No worries you aren’t the only one. Thanks. This would be a great thread in the dead and dying alaska forum to get a spark of activity there!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I also apologize. I was just curious. My questions should've been posted separately in the NA Hunting forum.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would still be interested in seeing pictures of the bears that were hitting the bait.

I too was curious and still am about this baited hunt.

Thanks

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It took me three hunting trips (with two different guides unsuccessfully and finally a third guide) to even see a brown bear in Alaska. But it all came together finally. I wish that I had gone with Jake the first time. I am always impressed with his hunts and attitude.

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My new bait was hit mid June this year. 125lbs of dog food eaten and I only got three pictures. I haven’t got them email over to my phone yet. One big bear, 8’ plus at least and one average size sow it looked like.

I had two guys booked for that same time frame and they backed out. Result is those bears are still alive.

Master guide #212