Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Iceland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunting in Iceland

At this time we would like to draw your attention to what we have to offer in 2010:

Reindeer hunting, 6 days total, 4 days hunting.
1x1 $5.990
2x1 $4.990
Please note that all reindeer licenses are issued by drawing. Season runs July 15th - Sep 15th.
We take care of the application process free of charge.

Seal hunting, 5 days total, 3 days hunting.
1x1 $3.590
2x1 $2.590
2 seals per hunter, each additional $500

Seabird shooting, 5 days total, 3 days shooting.
1x1 $3.590
2x1 $2.590
Shooting is done from boats along the coast. Species shot include Razorbill, Common Guillemot, Brünnich´s Guillemot, Black Guillemot and Puffin. Season is September 1st - May 10th. No bag limit.

What is included:
Hunting and weapons license
Trophy fee
All transportation within Iceland
All meals and accommodation
Guide

What is not included:
International flights
Excessive luggage on domestic flights
Alcoholic beverages
Preparing and shipping of trophies
Taxidermy and tanning
Extra nights in Reykjavik

For more information please refer to our website www.adventura.is

We are a licensed tour operator by the Icelandic Tourist Board.

Adventura
Original Icelandic Hunting Adventure
Hlaupholum
765 Djupivogur
Iceland

Posts: 51 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Some unasked for advice? You are more likely to get response from USA hunters if you offer caribou hunting! Wink In USA and certainly in Alaska one would frown upon "hunting" a reindeer, yet "caribou" hunts are much enjoyed.
Needless to say reindeer and caribou are both Rangifer tarandus, just one is tame or at least domesticated and the other one wild. You say that the herd was 'never domesticated' and they could therefore be properly called "caribou"? Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, don't be to sure on that! Given the time of year, Reindeer are high on the list! Cool

Posts: 71 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thank you for your concern Mr. McLaren. I have been under the impression that they were the same. I stand corrected.
Just recently C. Boddington was over here and he called them reindeer so who am I to...
Anyhow, seems like the language barrier got the best of me this time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I reckon that I would much prefer to hunt reindeer in far off Iceland than caribou. When in Spain ... Smiler

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants a look, "Mario" has a new post in Hunting-Other Parts of the World category; hunting Musk Ox and Reindeer in Greenland. Looks pretty cool!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I believe the appropriate term in Iceland is Reindeer, and as an American would be more inclined to hunt reindeer in Iceland than caribou. Yes, I understand we are talking about the same animal. I do not associate the term reindeer with tame animals in that part of the world.

By the way, it sounds like a fun, relatively inexpensive hunt.

Cheers!

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This discussion reminds me of the Christmas Eve dinner I prepared for my family several years ago after a Quebec caribou hunt: we had reindeer roast. Everyone at work thought I was terrible.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you think that's bad, just try bragging to everyone at the neighborhood picnic about all the dolphin you caught instead of remembering to call them mahi-mahi. They'll be visibly backing away like you had bad breath. I accidentally did that once and had to hurriedly explain when the problem became clear. Then all was sweetness and light again...

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Nothing quite like whacking a few seals to add a little spice to the conversation about shooting Donner, Blitzen and Rudolph...

Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your offer. Good luck.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To spice up the conversation some more we could throw in a steak of whale meat - medium rare... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Adventura people have become good friends of mine and I have accompanied several Dutch, one German and one New Zealand hunter on about ten hunting trips to Iceland since 1997.
All of them (and myself more than once) were guided to excellent trophy reindeer bulls, were offered good seal hunting and enjoyed the highest possible standard of hospitality and guidance.
They are one hundred percent reliable!

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shack Remeber, When your talking about eating Dolpins (and i guess whales) be sure to tell your guests that the meat around the Blow hole is the most tender.... Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Safe and PROSPEROUS New Year to all

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI
The Icelandic Ministry for the Environment has just issued a hunting quota for reindeer for the 2010 season. The quota is 1272 animals, down from 1333 last year. Licenses are issued by drawing - don´t let anyone tell you otherwise...