THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OUTFITTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts    Discounted African Wingshoot This June Amended Dates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discounted African Wingshoot This June Amended Dates
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hunt: African Wing Shoot
Dates: 5th To 12th July 2014
Arrival Departure Point: OR Tambo Johannesburg
Original Price: $5,950 per week DISCOUNTED TO $3,750
Availability: We take a group of 3-6 hunters so single guns are welcome to make up a group.

Athina Sporting Contact Details

Address:
Athina Sporting
1st Floor, 106-108 High St
West Wickham
Kent
England
BR4 0ND

Email: Kiri@AthinaSporting.Com
Telephone: 0044 (0)20 8289 3322

Prices include all your hunting, accommodation, transport, food and drink. We include up to 1,500 shells per hunter.

You can expect between 16-20 species in the bag at the end of the week.

Rgds,
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Kiri,
What kind of spices are in bag at the end of hunt, please specify!
regards
IH

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Also, cost of shells beyond the 1,500 or is that highly unlikely?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IH:
Kiri,
What kind of spices are in bag at the end of hunt, please specify!
regards
IH

Looks like I have some typing to do!! Wink

I have written the list down here of the species we take. I will asterisk "*" those that I would say are intermittent, (ie; may occur but will not be taken by most/everyone each week), and double asterisk "**" those that we will get a couple of samples of over the week if fate smiles on us.

Helmeted Guinea fowl
Swainsons Spurfowl
Orange River Francolin
Common Quail
Button Quail *
Jack Snipe*
Common Snipe
Greater Snipe* (generally needs to be later in the season)
Mourning Dove
Collared Dove
Red Eye Dove
Cape Turtle Dove
Rock Pigeon
Egyptian Goose
Spurwing Goose
Scrub Hare (about half the team should get chances)
Yellow Bill Duck
Red Bill Teal
Southern Pochard**
African Black Duck*
Cape Teal**
White Faced Whistling Duck
Cape Shovler
White Back Duck**

I must clarify on the species counts, (especially the water fowl) that things vary dramatically according to migration or harvesting/feeding patterns. For example last year I had one week where I took a dozen African Black ducks, but the year before I had not managed a single one.

Again I shot the same duck flight line on consecutive weeks. The first week the only ducks showing were red billed teal and on the second week we shot almost all of the listed species including the geese.

We have not fallen below 16 species for the week in any of the years we have been doing this and our best week was 21.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Also, cost of shells beyond the 1,500 or is that highly unlikely?

Extra Shells are £8/box of 25. I would not say it is highly unlikely at all. Shots fired depend on a number if things. Primarily relating the shooters ability. Dig an I average up to 2000 shells to our gun for the week when we shoot hard. However we take on and kill birds at ranges that some do not, and we are also mindful of the field craft required to hunt wild birds.

We find our American clients are the best at this as you have a rich history of shooting wild birds and so understand the field work and dog work.

I had my last team last year shot 8,500 shells but refused to get out of bed before midday and started hunting at about 1pm each day...

Of course they are wild birds so I cannot give guarantees other than we will work our socks of to get you the most shooting we can cram into your waking hours.. Smiler

I also try and be a fair as possible so If some guys are under on their usage and you shoot an extra slab or two then I will not charge you for shells. The limit is in place in case the guys decide they want to stand under the pigeons and shoot 3000+ shells in a week.

Rgds,
K

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. I've been in the midst of planning another Argentina hunt, but this is very interesting.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Guys if you need any references let me know, or if you would like a chat about the details of the hunt, you can PM me a number and I will give you a call to go over any questions.

Rgds,
Kiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously considering this for myself and my son, 20. I note that there are 8 days listed. How many actual days or half days are in the field or whatever hunting?

What about arriving a day early to insure a smooth transition? Would there be transport or would we need to stay in J'burg?

I think downwind rockies are the toughest birds I've ever shot. What a challenge!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How difficult would it be to add on a week or so of plainsgame hunting - specifically Nyala, Bushbuck and Caracal?

How do you split your time between land species and waterfowl and what gun do your client's usually bring - O/U, SxS or Semi-Auto.

Is it safe to assume that most bring a 12ga? How much trouble is it to bring bacb specimens for mounting.

I'm also considering bringing my adult son - makes my wife feel better when I have a "keeper" when I travel.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'm seriously considering this for myself and my son, 20. I note that there are 8 days listed. How many actual days or half days are in the field or whatever hunting?

What about arriving a day early to insure a smooth transition? Would there be transport or would we need to stay in J'burg?

I think downwind rockies are the toughest birds I've ever shot. What a challenge!

Hiya,

Arrival days on the 5th July from Europe are usually morning arrivals so the guys tend to get an afternoon on the doves so there is a half day there. We then have 6 full days hunting on the 6th to the 11th inclusive with departure on the 12th.

We used to hunt on the departure day but to be honest we hunt so hard through the week that by the last day the guys are usually pleased of a lie in and a chance to clean kit before departure. IT makes the last day more relaxed that way.

Coming in from the states we recommend that you arrive the night before as it is an evening arrival. That way you can stay in the hotel just outside the arrivals hall and meet us in the morning. Depending on the final plan for the week before I could be at the airport to meet you that day for your arrival. Otherwise we could use African Sky or similar for the night.

Feel free to mail or ask any other questions.

Rgds,
K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
How difficult would it be to add on a week or so of plainsgame hunting - specifically Nyala, Bushbuck and Caracal?

How do you split your time between land species and waterfowl and what gun do your client's usually bring - O/U, SxS or Semi-Auto.

Is it safe to assume that most bring a 12ga? How much trouble is it to bring bacb specimens for mounting.

I'm also considering bringing my adult son - makes my wife feel better when I have a "keeper" when I travel.

Bill it really depends on the group and how things are going. We really have a vast amount of shooting available and so depending on the weather, harvest patterns and hunters preferences we can amend the itinerary as we see fit.

I would say generally we are 60-40 in favour of the upland birds, but I have had groups before now that want to focus on waterfowl nearly every night if possible.

With regards to the Plains game, I have a spare week the week before, which we can go and hunt Bushbuck and Nyala, for sure. I will check on the Caracal for you. So in terms of ease, it would be a piece of cake. I could pick you up at the airport and we would hunt together for the week.

Rgds,
K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's just assume you have 6 people in the group who want to hunt upland game with dogs. How many do you hunt over a dog? How many dogs do you have available? I've hunted with a group of South Africans over dogs and it flat wasn't all that safe, I hung back and still managed to shoot quite a few of the birds after they cleared the group's shooting, but I was more worried about getting shot and being sure I didn't shoot someone than enjoying the moment. I'm not at suggesting this would happen with your group, I am just trying to check logistics.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's just assume you have 6 people in the group who want to hunt upland game with dogs. How many do you hunt over a dog? How many dogs do you have available? I've hunted with a group of South Africans over dogs and it flat wasn't all that safe, I hung back and still managed to shoot quite a few of the birds after they cleared the group's shooting, but I was more worried about getting shot and being sure I didn't shoot someone than enjoying the moment. I'm not at suggesting this would happen with your group, I am just trying to check logistics.

Trust me I've been there too!!! My first time shooting grey wing was a real eye opener and I did exactly the same thing as you. Go to the end of the line 50-70 yards away and take the long crosser that didn't get flattened by the initial fusillade!!!

We are significantly more organised I can assure you. If you want to PM me a number I can call you on it will be the easiest way to go through all the types of hunting we do.

I can also send you some us references if you like.

K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pencil me in for 2 spots (with a 3rd sort of kind of maybe), subject to my checking on flights, etc. I'll confirm as soon as I can. If it fills up in the interim with firm cash in fist customers, no harm, no foul.

If you or anyone has any suggestions for some type of cull or cheap impala, springbok type shoot for a few days ahead of this bird hunt (where the logistics from J'burg wouldn't be too daunting), we'd be interested but I'll have to have firm dates before booking flights, of course.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Great to have you on board. We will have a blast.

I will speak to the guys and see what's available the week before. I'm sure we can put something together for you, as I am free and looking to hunt too, so a few impala sounds like a good plan.

I am finishing my previous hunt on the 28th June so any time between then and the 5th July we can hunt plains game. I know we have impala within 250km of the airport so combined with some pigs and other management quota there will be plenty to go round. I will get some prices up for you in the next day or so once I confirm quota and location.

Rgds,
K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pencil me in for 2 spots (with a 3rd sort of kind of maybe), subject to my checking on flights, etc. I'll confirm as soon as I can. If it fills up in the interim with firm cash in fist customers, no harm, no foul.

If you or anyone has any suggestions for some type of cull or cheap impala, springbok type shoot for a few days ahead of this bird hunt (where the logistics from J'burg wouldn't be too daunting), we'd be interested but I'll have to have firm dates before booking flights, of course.

Gato,

You have a PM with details on some cheap Impala culling available.

Rgds,
Kiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original dates posted in the offer for this hunt, 6/28 to 7/5 were in error as I discovered as we pursued details of the hunt. Fallow Buck has corrected them above. However, the new and correct dates won't work for us due to a wedding commitment by my son.

I think this is a very decent price for a good hunt. I'm sorry I have to miss it.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato,

Sorry for the discrepancy. I am free on the week originally posted, and will honour the discounted rate for both weeks as it is my mistake. Offer open to any members.

Original week jun 28 to July 5 is open. I also have spaces on the dates listed above of 5th July to 12th July.

Rgds,
K