Notify
Tools

21-day hunt severe discount!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Scruffy,

I sold one hunt, the outfitter sold the other, the other date went unsold because it was just too quick.

My hunter got a decent Bear. I do not think he is an AR member, but I have been surprised before!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So....
Spanish Hunter aside,
You guys think this hunt is a good deal? Wink

I didn't really have a chance to talk with wendell before he left on his trip- What do you think the odds of a nice lion are? How rare are good manes in the selous?

Whats a reasonable expectation on Ivory?
Are there any critter(s) that I have to make sure and find while I am in the selous, I believe it is the only huntable population of Nyassa wildebeast, anything else?

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Acheson's posted another 21 day hunt for the same dates but with a 29K fee; includes charter. Sounds like the same hunt, but they insisted it is not, so guess who signed up for that one?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:
So....
Spanish Hunter aside,
You guys think this hunt is a good deal? Wink

I didn't really have a chance to talk with wendell before he left on his trip- What do you think the odds of a nice lion are? How rare are good manes in the selous?

Whats a reasonable expectation on Ivory?
Are there any critter(s) that I have to make sure and find while I am in the selous, I believe it is the only huntable population of Nyassa wildebeast, anything else?

Notlim:

As the guy right behind you on this trip,and who has hunted the Selous and spoke with Wendell, here are some things to think about:

1. The Selous is huge, so generalizations are dangerous.

2. IMO the buffalo there are smaller than in Kigosi and definitely not the same as in Masailand.

2. Nyssaland wildebeeste are all over.

3. Wendell said ele and leopard should not be a problem. Lion is maybe 50-60. The manes are pretty scrimpy. A guy in my camp shot one that was pretty skimpy. Wendell said in terms of ivory expect something on the smaller side (not as big as the hunt you walked from, but not too much smaller).

4. If this Acheson hunt is the real deal, I am sure I will see you on the charter. You flying KLM? We could meet in the KLM business class lounge if you are.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
notlim,

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Acheson's posted another 21 day hunt for the same dates but with a 29K fee; includes charter. Sounds like the same hunt, but they insisted it is not, so guess who signed up for that one?

With who? Samaras?

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the hunt. 21 days in the Selous starting on Sep 2. Hunt is with Samaras. He let me push my 2009 Dec hunt to 2011 (dates in 2010 were already booked).

Atcheson's did a great job in switching the hunt, as I booked it through Wendell and he is out of town, hunting I would presume.

Wish me luck. Dan, I am sure I will see you in AMS. I will send you a PM.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
AZW, you got the 2009 price for 2011? Wow.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, if the daily rate goes up I pay that increase.

I love buff hunting; always wanted to whack those big boys in Masai. I had prime dates too.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have post a message stating my interest on the bear hunt, I think you did not have the chance to read it, so just want to confirm my interest on the hunt. Please, give me further info.

Is I have stated in the ohter post, if a person is real serious about a hunt, that needs to be moved on right away..........why trust all correspondance to be via internet?

I'm guessing Wendell has a phone number on his website!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellow hunter,
As I think it was already clear after all the discussion, it was not a problem of me not making a phone call, it was just a problem of Wendell forgetting to update his post, as the hunt seems to be sold already when I first posted my interest.
Even if I have had phone him it would not have change anything.
I don´t have a pile of time to explain same thing once and again, specially when it seems to be already understood by Wendell and me, who are the main interested parties, but now I have to answer you back at it seems you are suggesting I´m not a serious person quoting one of my messages.
You don´t know me to state anything about my behaviour or habits. I agree with you about not using internet as the only way of searching for info or keep in contact whit somebody, BUT, if you want to state something about the nowadays different ways of communication, you dont need to quote my words because some other people might think I´m not serious.

Best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello from the sea cliff

Ok guys here's my first update. The food @ the seacliffe hotel in the indian restarant is great. the fishing in the Zanzibar channel not so greast. Fished yesterday and caaught one dorado about 20lb and one yellowfin about 25.

fresh tuna in the selous tonight. who would of thunk it.

John-(another arizona gun writer) was supposed to arrive on the klm flight last night and will meet me in 1/2 hr (its 6 am right now)and we are sharing the charter into the selous.

I`m semi arrived, lots of ammo but no guns Frowner
hopefully they came in on the same flight as John. if not I`ll be chasing Tembo with a sharp stick and throwing 458 lott shells at it. Thats still a .458 caliber bullet as fast as .45/70 Cool that some argue is good for anything that walks the earth.My other option will be to duct tape it to the end of my stick to make a rudimentry spear and in this case I am sure looking at the ogive profiles that the 450gr. Tsx is going to far outpenetrate the banded solids! I figure by atleast 1/2 stick length Wink

Hopefully my next post will be showing penetration photoes on a 100 lb selous bulls skull-
C-ya

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em Notlim!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Dan. I hope you have the safari of your life. You sure got a once in a lifetime deal. I can't wait for the pictures and hunt reports.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys it won't be much of a report but it will have to do for now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No ele Frowner I didn't even see a legal bull.
but to drown my sorrows we got :
lion
leopard
3 buff
hyena
sable
eland
hartebeast
wildebeast
impala
Big Grin

we also saw and could of shot but for whatever reason didn't:
honey badgers
red duiker
sunni
common duiker
hippo
croc
kudu

All things considered a great trip @ a great price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:
...we got :
lion
leopard
3 buff
hyena
sable
eland
hartebeast
wildebeast
impala
Big Grin

What a great safari, truley, ooly, ooly!!!
Some day I'll get there...

Are there pic's anywhere to be seen please?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!

Dan, that is a great safari, PERIOD!

Three buff, lion, and leopard is good work anytime you can find it. Too bad about ele, but there are lots of nice bulls to be shot in Africa these days. You got Simba, and who knows if you will be able to do that after March of 2010.

Now we need pics and a full report.

Welcome home and congratulations!

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
lion
leopard
3 buff
hyena
sable
eland
hartebeast
wildebeast
impala

We need pics clap

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Will,
You know I told John, and Paddy how similar the area was to the Save. It really reminded me alot of Humani/arda. If I didn't know I was in Tanzania I would of swore I was on the same hunt twice- the terrain was the same, miombo forest looks exactly like mopane forest to me.a few rocky areas, lots of red sand. Lots of buffalo and leopard, a few lions. Lots of elephants in spots. Hard work for the plainsgame. It was very-very similar to my hunt in the spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which PH was hunting with you

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
paddy curtis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
paddy curtis

Its a Very good PH

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he's a great guy.
I'm pretty sure he was a better tracker than the trackers- its the first white guy I can say that about

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We ALL waiting for Pics Big Grin

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!! Pictures please!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Congratulations!!!! Pictures please!!!!

Brett

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted on this trip with Dan and shot the following:

elephant
lion
leopard
2 buff
eland
hippo
hyena
etc.

The elephant tusks were 72 inches long with 15.5 bases. The lion had a full mane. Very lucky. I think your odds of smacking a lion with Luke are far better than average. We turned down a young one, and Dan turned down two males before he shot his.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunted on this trip with Dan and shot the following:

elephant
lion
leopard
2 buff
eland
hippo
hyena
etc.

The elephant tusks were 72 inches long with 15.5 bases. The lion had a full mane. Very lucky. I think your odds of smacking a lion with Luke are far better than average. We turned down a young one, and Dan turned down two males before he shot his.

Elephant - 52/48 lbs

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both hunters!! It sounds like this truly was a deal of a lifetime on a great hunt!!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and someone said there are no GOOD deals in good area's

YEA RIGHT

Congrats to both!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
BTT:

Two AR members shoot two lions, two leopard, five buffalo, one elephant and a truck load of EA PG in Tanzania and we've not seen the first picture.

NOTLIM AND AZWRITER, it is time for us to see your pictures.

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, you won't see mine because I am writing a story for Safari mag. I don't post photos I will use for stories.

Interesting way to describe our success. I guess we kicked butt on an econo hunt, huh?

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess we kicked butt on an econo hunt, huh?

Can you say "Understatement of all time!!!!"

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:
I guess we kicked butt on an econo hunt, huh?

Can you say "Understatement of all time!!!!"

Brett

Actually, Brett, when you add it all up, our discount was maybe 20% of the total bill, even though the daily rate was half. Those trophy fees add up, and I was pretty liberal with the tips, at least for me. I paid out more in tips than my first trip to Africa cost me in total.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I meant "understatement of all time" that you guys kicked butt!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson