New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak brown bear hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be putting up to three guys in the drawing for spring Kodiak brown bear starting with spring of 2020. Drawing is held in November. I do all my own guiding and run one client at a time. We have not taken a spring bear smaller than 9’ from this area yet and see bears in the 10’ class on almost each spring hunt so far. Hunts are conducted in mid to late April and into early May.
Cost for the drawing is 165$ and that includes your hunting license. Hunt cost is $25,000 and that includes air taxi into hunt camp. Draw odds vary from year to year. I have seen them as high as 50% and as low as 20%.
Heated base camp style hunt with real food, cots and plenty of glassing.
No smoking no drinking, but you are allowed to have fun and get to tell one joke per day. Any jokes told past your quota will result in a loss of ten minutes of hunting time for that day. I however can tell as many jokes as I want, you do reserve the right to not listen to them however.
Looking for that adventure that’s so unreal you can’t explain to someone who hasn’t done it? Text me....
907-414-9471
Jake jefferson

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Jake, where on Kodiak do you conduct your hunts?

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
East side of the island. Kiluida Bay Area. Roughly.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake's jokes run the full range of good to awful. Full disclosure is important.

Glad you are getting back to Kodiak. I recall you mentioning it was your favorite place to hunt.

Take care, best to your family,

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this exclusive use land ? Or are other Outfitters hunting the same area ?

Jeff Condie
Liard River Outfitters
#5 - 712054 RR55
Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada T8X 4A8
1-780-933-8001
info@liardriveroutfitters.com
www.liardriveroutfitters.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liardriveroutfitters/

Posts: 106 | Location: Alberta / British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 02 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is non exclusive. However the outfitters that use this area each have their own stomping grounds and I have never had another outfitter in the bay with me, nor have I stepped into the neighboring guys areas. Believe it or not, we get along. Lol

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HGC Safaris:

Alaska residents can hunt any public area that is open private land may have exclusions.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
quote:
Originally posted by HGC Safaris:

Alaska residents can hunt any public area that is open private land may have exclusions.

I was talking about other Outfitters, residents can generally hunt wherever they want other then private land but pose no competition 99% of the time.
I won’t ever hunt Alaska again unless it’s exclusive use, the system there where Outfitters can all hunt on top of each other is a nightmare

Jeff Condie
Liard River Outfitters
#5 - 712054 RR55
Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada T8X 4A8
1-780-933-8001
info@liardriveroutfitters.com
www.liardriveroutfitters.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liardriveroutfitters/

Posts: 106 | Location: Alberta / British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 02 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I am neither positive or negative, I have hunted Alaska 7-8 times and it was interesting to watch the outfitters sidestep the question of legally who could access the land they were hunting (not private). They wanted to imply that all of the land they were hunting was "exclusive use", but upon independent research it was not. How it was typically controlled was through the transporters. I.E. Alaska Chief Outfitters on the peninsula hunted an area in a unit and uses Beholden Transport to fly out all of their clients from the nearest airport (maybe King Salmon or Cold Bay). Alaska Chief is Beholdens biggest/most reliable source of business and so It is understood that if they want that relationship to continue, they best not fly a bunch of independent yahoos out to the area Alaska Chief presents as their "exclusive area". I have never had anyone interrupt one of my hunts in Alaska but it has been interesting to watch the dance...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting Alaska for the first time next year.

That said, I would think all outfitters suffer if they start stepping all over each other. Word travels fast in the digital age.

I would think resident hunters would be more apt to encroach since they have no major financial skin in the game.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

That said, I would think all outfitters suffer if they start stepping all over each other. Word travels fast in the digital age.

I would think resident hunters would be more apt to encroach since they have no major financial skin in the game.

BH63

Do you think lots of winters up here, raising your family has no skin in the game? Invested my past and future here!

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BH63

Do you think lots of winters up here, raising your family has no skin in the game? Invested my past and future here!

Jake is a great guide with high ethics, sorry for taking his thread sideways.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

BH63

Bingo!

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bingo! (And people generally live where they want to live, for whatever reasons.)

I am sure all reputable Alaskan guides have backup plans or have learned to adapt to encroachment without ruining their client's chances for a good trophy. That is their livelihood.

I trust Jake completely.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Running into another hunter is the same in the field as any other limitation. If you can’t adapt and adjust you got no reason to be out there. Roll with it, overcome and succeed. No big deal. Everything happens for a reason. Disappointment can lend to failure. So find a way around it. I’ve ran into resident hunters a couple times in the last 20 years. I can think of three occasion where we switched up our plans for that day and ended up with some of the largest trophies I’ve ever seen.
Both these were from those situations. It isn’t a fatal blow to a hunt but perhaps the conditional change that’s needed? Perspective.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63

I have heard some horror stories to the contrary, but I have never had any issues.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I know the area,all the guides,{it's huge) and Jake. If Jake say's there's never been any others in his bay that's the bottom line,,doubter's doubt,,,,,not hearsay from someone whose hunted Alaska once or twice or not at all,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote