New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dall sheep hunt, Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a ten day dall sheep hunt that will take place between Sept.11-20th this fall. Hunter needs to fly in to Anchorage on the 10th and all travel and food is covered from the time of pickup at hotel of your choosing. This is a backpack sheep hunt in GMU 13D and is an across the counter tag. Cost of the hunt is $7500 down from $11,500. Brown bear may be taken on a trophy fee of $5500 and we see them often. Only extra fee on this hunt is $750 for a packer if you want one but routinly do these hunts 1X1. If you think you want to take a brown bear on the trophy fee I highly recommend getting a packer.
This is a designated walkin area only and no flying or pack animals are allowed in the area during the hunt season. Obviously this is a tough hunt so be advised that you need to be in good shape and are expected to carry a backpack of about 40 lbs. plus your rifle. This is as fair chase as it gets!
You can upgrade this hunt to an Alaska Range fly out/supercub supported hunt for an additional $3000 and take a grizzly on a trophy fee of $4500.
Hope this is a clear post and if you have questions fire away and I'll do my best to get back to you asap but I am doing alot of scouting right now for the upcoming sheep season so will be in and out but will do my best to respond.
Thanks

Posts: 32 | Location: eagle river | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep tag is $425, brown bear $500 and license is $85

Posts: 32 | Location: eagle river | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with this guide just a short while ago for Brown Bear. He has had a lot of experience hunting dall sheep .. is in his early 40's .. obviously tougher than leather .. ex submariner .. excellent company ... And the price is rather good. My nephew is hunting dall sheep this September in the N.W.T. and is paying at least twice as much with no option on a big bear ... thumb Yo, Steve ! wave

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bargain this Dall Hunt.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI just so it's clear, this is a tough hunt and is a late season hunt. Had two Aussie's in there last season at the same time doing a combo hunt and they both killed a brown bear and goat but no sheep. We chased one of the biggest rams I've ever seen from the ground for a day and a half but lost him in the clouds. Bad weather was an issue all of last season and was the same story on that hunt. This is a late season hunt so weather can be an issue but is one of my personal favorite times of the year to be in there especially with a hunter who likes to combo hunt as the bears move off the river and are in country then. You can expect a day or two of weather so keep it in mind. The sheep are there and so are the bears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
50beo
Honest chance on a dall Shep is less than 50% ?!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm running probably around 80-90% success rate in this area on sheep. Physical condition of hunters is a big part of this hunt. Also, have been taking a fair number of return clients who are looking for either a book ram or 40" plus ram and have turned down other legal rams on those hunts.
I will say that I've only had one hunter who did not have an opportunity on a legal ram out here and that was because there were so many brown bear that had moved up off the river system to eat on the bunker crop of blue berries. We counted probably a dozen brown bears and twice that number of blacks. Every sheep we did see on that hunt was un-huntable, ie. in the crags and not coming out.
I've had 100% success in the Alaska Range on sheep but being an aircraft supported hunt that should be expected.
I did have the Aussie last year who did not get a ram as well but can not say he didn't have an opportunity. We could have stayed and hunted sheep but decided to go after goat as the weather was more condusive.
Enough excuses on success rate. I would say it is better than 50% chance.