Notify
Tools

SPOTTED HYENA HUNT SOUTH AFRICA 2021
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mattanja Hunting Safaris
posted
Good Day AR Members,

For the 2021 hunting season I have two(2) Permits available for Spotted Hyena in pristine Hyena country. The hunt will take place in the Lowveld Area near the Kruger National Park and the area have a very healthy population of Spotted Hyena, one of the most sought after night time trophies! Plains Game can be added onto this hunt for during the day, or even Buffalo! Pick-up & Drop off is from Eastgate Airport near Hoedspruit which is a convenient 30 minute drive from camp.

Outfitter: Dieter Prinsloo - Mattanja Hunting Safaris
HO Number: ZA/LP/85328
PH Number: ZA/LP/102855
Area: Limpopo Province, South Africa
www.mattanjahuntingsafaris.com
info@mattanjasafaris.co.za
+27 84 469 6897(Also available on WhatsApp)

Breakdown:
  • 5 Days / 6 Nights, 1 Hunter x 1 PH - US$ 1 200.00 (US$ 240 / Day)
  • 1x Spotted Hyena - US$ 3 700.00 (Bait Included)
  • Road Transfer from Hoedspruit Airport Included
    Total: $ 4 900.00

Daily Rate Includes:
  • Accommodation, All Meals, Soft Drinks & Local Beers
  • Services of a Licensed Professional Hunter
  • Services of trained Skinner's & Trackers
  • Road Transfer to and from Hoedspruit Airport
  • Transport in and between Hunting Areas
  • Daily Laundry Service
  • Field Preparation of Trophies

Daily Rate Excludes:
  • Observer / Non Hunter - $180.00 Per Day
  • Road Transfer from OR Tambo International Airport - $400.00 Return Included
  • Taxidermy Costs
  • Dipping, Packaging & Shipping of Trophies
  • All International & Domestic Flights
  • Accommodation before & after the hunt

Don't miss out, let's chat!

Dieter Prinsloo
    Mattanja Hunting Safaris
    PO Box 3762, Louis Trichardt, South Africa
    Cell: +27 84 469 6897
  •  
    Posts: 118 | Location: South Africa & Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 August 2019Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    $3,700 seems pretty steep for a Spotted Hyena when in Tanzania the same can be had for $700

Posts: 1864 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by fulvio:
    $3,700 seems pretty steep for a Spotted Hyena when in Tanzania the same can be had for $700

@Fulvio thanks for the comment. Well, Tanzania and South Africa are two different places. Never hunted in Tanzania before, don't know their pricing that good, but did a quick Google Search about prices in Tanzania, yes a Spotted Hyena Trophy Fee vary between $700 and $2500 in Tanzania, but I couldn't find a hunt in Tanz where the Daily Rate is under $2500 Per Day on a Plains Game Hunt. Also, I couldn't find a hunt that specifically targets a Spotted Hyena as the primary specie animal in Tanzania.

You can do the math...
    5 Day Hunt in Tanzania at $2500 Per Day + $700 for your Hyena= $13 200(not to sure about the extras), or
    5 Day Hunt in SA at $4 900 for an All Inclusive Hunt.

I hope this helps to answer your question

Dieter Prinsloo
    Mattanja Hunting Safaris

Posts: 118 | Location: South Africa & Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 August 2019Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Fjold
    posted Hide Post
    Apples aren't oranges.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
    - Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    But this is his offer no need to shit on it as it is a good deal for SA on this animal

Posts: 553 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Spotted Hyena Trophy Fee vary between $700 and $2500 in Tanzania, but I couldn't find a hunt in Tanz where the Daily Rate is under $2500 Per Day on a Plains Game Hunt. Also, I couldn't find a hunt that specifically targets a Spotted Hyena as the primary specie animal in Tanzania.

Anyone selling a Spotted or Striped Hyena in TZ for $2500 is grossly overcharging as the Govt. fee stands at $400 for Spotted & $700 for Striped - all outfitters will have an add-on to the Govt. fee but those who go overboard are trying to cover losses by charging lower daily rates and recoup on the TF Wink

FWIW, Plains game Daily Rates are available from $1500 (and lower) and you are right, there are no hunts that specifically target a Spotted Hyena because it is available on a 14 day license which offers you the option of shooting a grand total 20-24 different species (depending if the hunting area is in the North or South) inclusive of 2 Buffalo.

You are selling an exclusive hunt targeting a single animal and it is definitely your privilege to charge whatever fee you like and I wish you success in selling this hunt.

One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Spotted Hyena Trophy Fee vary between $700 and $2500 in Tanzania, but I couldn't find a hunt in Tanz where the Daily Rate is under $2500 Per Day on a Plains Game Hunt. Also, I couldn't find a hunt that specifically targets a Spotted Hyena as the primary specie animal in Tanzania.

Anyone selling a Spotted or Striped Hyena in TZ for $2500 is grossly overcharging as the Govt. fee stands at $400 for Spotted & $700 for Striped - all outfitters will have an add-on to the Govt. fee but those who go overboard are trying to cover losses by charging lower daily rates and recoup on the TF Wink

FWIW, Plains game Daily Rates are available from $1500 (and lower) and you are right, there are no hunts that specifically target a Spotted Hyena because it is available on a 14 day license which offers you the option of shooting a grand total 20-24 different species (depending if the hunting area is in the North or South) inclusive of 2 Buffalo.

You are selling an exclusive hunt targeting a single animal and it is definitely your privilege to charge whatever fee you like and I wish you success in selling this hunt.

Hmmm ... $21,000 in daily fees for plains game seems pretty steep to me. And what would the total TF's be on those 20 to 24 different species mentioned, including the 2 buffalo, which of course would not be included in 14 days of plains game daily fees at $1,500 per day? Pretty disingenuous crap taken on this outfitter's hunt offering ... and totally unnecessary.

Anytime I see an outfitter shit on another outfitter's legitimate hunt offering, I immediately scratch the shitting outfitter off my list of possible future hunts. But that's just me.

One of Us
    Picture of adictosacazar
    posted Hide Post
    Dietro Can't wait for next year and start hunting!!

Phone: +34652316769
    Email: adictosacazar@gmail.com
    Web: www.adictosacazar.com
    Instagram: @adictosacazar
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/adictosacazar

Posts: 494 | Location: spain | Registered: 01 September 2019Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Todd Williams:
    quote:
    quote:

Hmmm ... $21,000 in daily fees for plains game seems pretty steep to me. And what would the total TF's be on those 20 to 24 different species mentioned, including the 2 buffalo, which of course would not be included in 14 days of plains game daily fees at $1,500 per day? Pretty disingenuous crap taken on this outfitter's hunt offering ... and totally unnecessary.

Anytime I see an outfitter shit on another outfitter's legitimate hunt offering, I immediately scratch the shitting outfitter off my list of possible future hunts. But that's just me.

Excellent response!

And don't forget! In Tanzania you'll be expected to tip 15 friggen camp staff!!!!!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
    Administrator
    posted Hide Post
    This is basically a hunt for a "collector" who wishes to have a spotted hyena.

Why? I have no idea, as if he has hunted enough, he should have had the opportunity to have shot dozens of the.

But, to each is his own, and he can pay his money, and do what he wants.

In Zimbabwe we used t shoot several a day sometimes, as they were eft on quota, and no one wants to shoot them.

Great for me clap

You cannot compare a hunt in Tanzania with a hunt in South Africa.

Nothing wrong with either, but totally different.

www.accuratereloading.com
    Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66725 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Hmmm ... $21,000 in daily fees for plains game seems pretty steep to me. And what would the total TF's be on those 20 to 24 different species mentioned, including the 2 buffalo, which of course would not be included in 14 days of plains game daily fees at $1,500 per day?

Todd,

Would it be more pleasing to the eye to see a low daily rate and have to pay crazy TFs instead?

The TFs on the 20-24 animals are too long to list but for Buffalo the average would be around $3,250 (some outfitters charge slightly lower, others higher, hence the average figure).

Tanzania does not offer hunts in fenced areas nor do the clients get accommodated in the farmer's guest house where expenses are low and yes, Tanzania can be expensive, always has been for some yet acceptable to others and it boils down to affordability.

Want to save some money on a Tanzanian hunt? You will find the answer in due diligence when it comes to sourcing your outfitter, as you would most anywhere else.

Lastly, a Spotted Dog is a spotted dog no matter if it gets shot in RSA, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia or Uganda, its still what it is and its value shouldn't be so dramatically affected by its geographical location unless someone imported a pair and bred them in Texas.

The same argument would otherwise hold valid for exotic species which are defined by location, e.g. Fringe-Eared Oryx, Lesser Kudu, Thomson's & Grant's Gazelles, Gerenuk, Kirk's Dik Dik, etc. among others, which would impact a trophy hunter's collection and would oblige one to go and find it where it exists.

One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Hmmm ... $21,000 in daily fees for plains game seems pretty steep to me. And what would the total TF's be on those 20 to 24 different species mentioned, including the 2 buffalo, which of course would not be included in 14 days of plains game daily fees at $1,500 per day?

Todd,

Would it be more pleasing to the eye to see a low daily rate and have to pay crazy TFs instead?

The TFs on the 20-24 animals are too long to list but for Buffalo the average would be around $3,250 (some outfitters charge slightly lower, others higher, hence the average figure).

Tanzania does not offer hunts in fenced areas nor do the clients get accommodated in the farmer's guest house where expenses are low and yes, Tanzania can be expensive, always has been for some yet acceptable to others and it boils down to affordability.

Want to save some money on a Tanzanian hunt? You will find the answer in due diligence when it comes to sourcing your outfitter, as you would most anywhere else.

Lastly, a Spotted Dog is a spotted dog no matter if it gets shot in RSA, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia or Uganda, its still what it is and its value shouldn't be so dramatically affected by its geographical location unless someone imported a pair and bred them in Texas.

The same argument would otherwise hold valid for exotic species which are defined by location, e.g. Fringe-Eared Oryx, Lesser Kudu, Thomson's & Grant's Gazelles, Gerenuk, Kirk's Dik Dik, etc. among others, which would impact a trophy hunter's collection and would oblige one to go and find it where it exists.

The word Oblivious comes to mind.

coffee

One of Us
    Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
    posted Hide Post
    Priced several safaris in Tanzania even this year it is much more than I can currently (ever) afford.

Hyena hunt in RSA sounds like a good deal to me.

There are guys in RSA that understand hyenas and have bait stations set up with trail cameras and lights to get them figured out.

Getting one in a classical (expensive) wilderness area is a matter of luck.

I'd happy shoot one at that price in RSA after Covid.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    [QUOTE]Spotted Hyena Trophy Fee vary between $700 and $2500 in Tanzania, but I couldn't find a hunt in Tanz where the Daily Rate is under $2500 Per Day on a Plains Game Hunt. Also, I couldn't find a hunt that specifically targets a Spotted Hyena as the primary specie animal in Tanzania.

@fulvio Thank you sir! One Permit is already sold for 2020

Dieter Prinsloo
    Mattanja Hunting Safaris

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by adictosacazar:
    Dietro Can't wait for next year and start hunting!!

@adictosacazar Thanks, looking forward to next year after everything we went through this year

Dieter Prinsloo
    Mattanja Hunting Safaris

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
    Priced several safaris in Tanzania even this year it is much more than I can currently (ever) afford.

Hyena hunt in RSA sounds like a good deal to me.

There are guys in RSA that understand hyenas and have bait stations set up with trail cameras and lights to get them figured out.

I'd happy shoot one at that price in RSA after Covid.

@Big Wonderful Wyoming, Thank you Sir! You're welcome to contact me anytime if you wish

Dieter Prinsloo
    Mattanja Hunting Safaris

Administrator
    posted Hide Post

Actually, that is not true.

We shoot our quota of hyenas every year, and if there are more on quota we would shoot a lot more.

As with all hunting, luck does play a major role.

may be we are just lucky.

A hippo was killed about a kilometer from our camp.

Saw them feeding on it in the morning.

We ran to them.

I shot one, the rest ran off, and I shot the second oen running.

Our two on quota is over.

Shot a hippo for croc bait.

Next day we saw several feeding on him.

Shot two again.

That is all we had on quota.

I could have easily shot four that morning.

Posts: 66725 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Michael Robinson
    posted Hide Post
    Luck?

I have spent a long time hunting in wilderness areas, with hyenas on license, in several different African countries, over many years.

As far as hyenas are concerned, to quote the great Albert King, "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13321 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    First one done for the season! I got one Spotted Hyena Permit left for 2021!!

Dieter Prinsloo
    Mattanja Hunting Safaris

One of Us
    Picture of adictosacazar
    posted Hide Post
    Just epic! keep it up bro!

Phone: +34652316769
    Email: adictosacazar@gmail.com
    Web: www.adictosacazar.com
    Instagram: @adictosacazar
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/adictosacazar

Posts: 494 | Location: spain | Registered: 01 September 2019Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of JCS271
    posted Hide Post
    Wow, amazing trophy!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
    "The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
    Administrator
    posted Hide Post
    Glad he got his trophy.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Glad that guy got his trophy but I will add I got one when I hunted with Fulvio along with a lion, elephant, leopard, eland, two buff (waiting for a monster with tag 3), a hippo, and just about every other thing on license.

Would I hunt with Fulvio again? Hell yes.

I also shot a hyena in Namibia for peanuts with Sebra Safaris.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
    http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Charlie64
    posted Hide Post

Dieter congratulations to you and the hunter. Good looking spotted!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2251 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote