New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kansas Whitetail - Great offer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am representing a landowner in south central Kansas to develop their property for excellent whitetail. I am unpaid by the way but they are family friends so I am trying to help them out. This area has not been extensively hunted for the last 3 years and I saw a lot of rubs on 5 to 6" diameter trees. There is a total of 3500 acres and we hope to make it bigger and most is CRP with wooded creek bottoms. There are approximately 15 stands with heaters and feeders in strategic locations. This is a semi guided hunt in that we provide the stand, feeders in use, and the best knowledge we can give you. Field prep is also included but you will need to lodge and dine on your own. There are some good hotels in ARK City, Kansas with many restaurants. There are four spots left on the second half of the rifle season which is December 10-15 and we can accommodate muzzleloader and or bow hunters if you want to call me. Area has a near 100% draw but you still have to put in for a draw. The draw deadline is mid April so you have to be thinking now.The unit is 13 and the county is Sumner. Price for the hunt as described is $2500. Call 980-328-0204 to discuss.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
4 spots left? How many guys are you taking on 3500 acres?

Posts: 2090 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Max of 4 per hunt with 2 hunts of 6 days for rifle season. Open to bow hunters but no interest so far.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
Max of 4 per hunt with 2 hunts of 6 days for rifle season. Open to bow hunters but no interest so far.

So up to 12 hunters? Am I reading that correctly?

Posts: 2090 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I read it as 8 hunters.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You read right Mike. 8 for gun season and I can manage some for bow and or muzzleloader if interested.

York, SC

posted Hide Post
Are crossbows legal during bow seasons?

Posts: 9 | Location: Milwaukee WI | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think so but with a physicians letter needed.

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
FYI, I know BigBBear and have hunted with him (in Michigan) He really knows whitetails.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for positive comment Matt. I see where you finally got out of the Detroit OK corral. Good for you. I am still there some and support the 100 club which you know does a lot for all LE's and firefighters. Been meaning to call you and see how life is out there. This hunt is a real solid opportunity to get a big one. Come down and pheasant/quail hunt this area with me. I probably have the best setters I have ever had.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little late in getting this out but we did sell out with lucky tag drawers this year. if you are interested, best to get your name in the hat for next year. We should be able to offer lodging next year. Also, we will increase our ground to hunt.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an advance heads up. This will be offered next year with more ground to hunt, more blinds, etc. We will of course offer the hunters this year first opportunity to return but there will be more spots. I will post photos from this year but if you want to contact me to get on the list for next year you will have first priority. Also, next year we will have the lodging established for as many as 6 people at a time. If someone can help me I will post some photos of deer taken last 2 years.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the cost of a tag?

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not 100% sure this year but you have to buy a license and put in for the draw on the tag. Draw is nearly 100%. Best i remember it is similar to all western states at around $500 for the tag. Getting some interest for next year already. We will have more ground and hopefully have lodging established so we can handle more hunters. Where are you in SC? I live on Lake Wylie.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the Kansas DNR site:
$117.50 Nonresident Youth White-tailed Deer Permit (youth 15 and younger and includes $27.50 nonrefundable application fee)
$442.50 Nonresident White-tailed Deer Permit, (16 and older and includes $27.50 nonrefundable application fee)

Good price on a Kansas hunt. If the quality is there, it is a bargain.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, i thought it was around that. Most states in midwest and near west are all around $500. Deer quality is very good. If someone will help me, I can send some pictures of recent deer taken but nothing shot last 2 years. It was idle.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in Greenville, SC

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I booked a spot for next year!

Spelling corrected!

Posts: 3267 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sport or a spot Matt?!! I have you for a spot. you have fat fingers like i do.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I’d be interested in next year, (or even a last minute cancellation as I wouldn’t have to worry about the draw).

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are a Kansas resident i am not sure how zones work but if you are good with tag i can fit you in. If someone will help me i have some fantastic trail cam photos from this year. I already have the hunters this year rebooking and 2 hunters that did not draw so only a few spots for next year unless you are a bow hunter.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Kansas residents like myself just buy tags OTC that are good statewide. Units only come into play for out of state hunters.
I’m a rifle hunter.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
There are Unit's and rules. There are some statewide tags as well on Whitetail but you must check the KSDNR site as these things change yearly.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned some ground outside of Wellington for years. Drove up From TX every year using landowner tags. They grow Em big in KS, big bodies and thick massive racks, and we didn’t do any management. Neighbors shot at everything so we gave up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, we have some phenomenal deer showing up on trail cams. Several will "book" easily. If someone will help me I will put up some photos. I have 4 hunters already booked for next year that will not hunt this year and this years hunters will get the right to return as well so I will not take many more spots for next year and it will depend on our new ground. If you want a spot you better move quickly. Our price will increase some next year due to results ( I specifically held it low this year) and if we add lodging, it will even go up a little more so please write me if you want in. At this point I will take 2 more reservations until i know more. Again, I will send some photos if someone can help me post.

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, sent you a PM to help with posting photos

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul, there is one more picture we have of a buck not in this last picture that will easily blow 170 away. Look at the buck walking away in this last picture. Other point is that we see a lot of deer we will not be shooting this year so the crop next year will be exceptional as well.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just updating this post for 2020. I have sent Paul some new photos to post. We booked 5 hunters this year and upon arrival, one became ill and he and his son had to go home without hunting so we were 2 for 3 with both bucks being nice 150 class animals. There were much better walking around but both of these were shot on the 2nd day and the 3rd hunter was holding out for Mr. big in one spot and he did not show. As i said earlier, i am doing this pro-bono for the landowner just trying to help them out. Prices are $3000 for 6 days with you supplying food and lodging. I arranged for a quality inn this year which was nice at about $55 per night including breakfast. IF someone else can post pictures if Paul is busy contact me please.

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posting pictures for Larry, please note dates are incorrect on the cameras. this is a summary of all the pictures from 2019.

the top photo is some of the 2019 kills

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought 2020 was booked up but we do have 1 spot in the second week due to a cancellation from a friend that has an ill mother so he cant plan too far out. Some of you had contacted me but I don't have all of the details and if you want this spot please call me. I have tried to contact everyone that i had talked to. You probably can hunt for 7 days on the back end and given moon phase i think it will be better than first week. Give me a call if you want this option. Dates will be from December 7-13 with possibility of starting on the 6th for 8 days.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt for 2020 now fully booked. Contact me if you want on the list for 2021 and on. Thanks for reading

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a cancellation for the 2nd week this year due to a business conflict. Its still standard price but there will only be 3 hunters this entire period. First one to contact me can get this spot. Thanks,

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought i would mention one of our members from Texas is on this hunt that would appreciate someone to travel up with. If someone wants the spot i can connect you.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all that's going in internationally, i still have one spot open for second week of season. You have 9 days to apply for a tag. Opening is due to an AR members partner retiring so left a spot. Call me if interested.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a 100% draw success with our 7 hunters for Kansas. looking forward to a very successful season. I will post success factors and pictures when done. If for any reason you may want to do this hunt next year, contact me soonest as if this group wants to make this regular we only have 1 spot open for the 10,000 greater property. Thanks for all responses.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry

An excellent hunt.

I will be back again and again.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck

Posts: 19294 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed having you there Mike. I added an 8th shooter towards the end,, someone who had a tag,, so we were 7 for 8 in total. I will put up a few other pictures if Mike can help me post. Just need to get permission from a few guys.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, it is ok to post those photos you talked about. I have one person to get approval from and then I can send you that deer. Guys, we left Kansas with several trophies still in the field. They should be even better next year. Also, Mike got to hunt some pheasant and quail with me over my setters. I think he has some photos and video of that as well.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis w/ his Kansas Deer

Larry and Dennis

Larry and his excellent dog

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote