2020 alaska grizzly bear hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Indi,
I believe I explained why no smoking. Because it smells up all my gear. Smoke a mile away and sleep in my tent and my tent smells like smoke. The next client who does not smoke will not enjoy that tent anymore.

I believe by me being up front and not waiting till we are in the field and then “forbidding” you to smoke is being respectful of you. I’m not disrespecting anyone. Merely being up front and honest about my camp policies.

Every time this comes up there are a handful of smokers and drinkers that just can’t figure this one out.

Jake, I am a VERY non-smoking, non smoker. Likely more than you are. I've been riding and racing bicycles for 30 years.

My question is more a general one of your statement about taking client references.

I've hunted in Africa with probably 20-25 different PH's. If I had, as a policy hunting ONLY with a non-smoking PH, I would probably struggle to find many.

I had a guy in Tanzania last year that was really rude about it. it came down to me demanding he not smoke while we were riding in the hunting car. Problem solved. Him throwing his smoking trash down in the bush was between he and his team.

Also, I don't see this as beating a dead horse, just a discussion. I would gladly hunt with you, no questions.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3340 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I remember a tricky set up for Sitatunga and the wind was all wrong. Early one morning I drenched our clothes and gear in wood smoke before we set off and even though the wind was bad it worked a treat.

I smoke and drink Whiskey but then again I don't share a bed with my clients. Not unless they are smoking hot.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I remember a tricky set up for Sitatunga and the wind was all wrong. Early one morning I drenched our clothes and gear in wood smoke before we set off and even though the wind was bad it worked a treat.

I smoke and drink Whiskey but then again I don't share a bed with my clients. Not unless they are smoking hot.

Or....Patson was along. Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3340 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Another thing is why is food so crap on a wilderness hunt?

As a high dollar paying client you would expect some investment in the kitchen as you have all the freezing and refrigeration capacity to suit?

As an African operator I can fly camp for weeks in the remotest regions and still provide remarkable cuisine. And yes I prepare it myself.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
These sort of clauses really piss me off.

Shall we turn away the elderly or the young or the disabled or the fat the thin, people of colour because they do not conform to the wants of the guide?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These sort of clauses really piss me off.

Shall we turn away the elderly or the young or the disabled or the fat the thin, people of colour because they do not conform to the wants of the guide?

I think you and I are seeing it a bit in the same way. I accept the personality of the PH or Guide appointed me. Some stink, some fart, some smoke, most drink. I do none of the above. Big Grin

If I had to send out references to a guide, I wouldn't.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Jakes defense, some of these hunts are true fly (spike) camps. You only have what you carry on your back. There are no porters.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
In Jakes defense, some of these hunts are true fly (spike) camps. You only have what you carry on your back. There are no porters.

At that cost then hire one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

At that cost then hire one.

That's a damn valid point.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The comment regarding client reference is i sometimes get a guy who will call and he has done several hunts with reputable outfitters and none went well
Sometimes I’d like to talk to those outfitters and hear the other side of the story. Failure is not always the guides fault.
I have never asked for a client reference.

Regarding flying in porters and a kitchen for a mountian Sheep hunt. Sheep are very sparse and spread over many miles,the logistics required to put on a Sheep hunt with one person can be daunting. The logistics and cost to put on a Sheep hunt if multiple flights and people are required would be astronomical. This is not Africa. Comparing it as such is apples and oranges.
Alaskan animals are not African animals. Comparing them as such is apples and oranges.
Your Zambia buisiness and logistics/costs/regulations/permitting are not the same as alaska. To compare such is apples and oranges.

I would never say I would sleep with one my clients. Unbelievabley unprofessional comment.
You say why turn away clients because of how they are. But you yourself say you will only sleep with the hot ones? How does that make the ugly ones feel. Yet me not wanting my gear to stink like cigarette smoke is incomprehensible?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The comment regarding client reference is i sometimes get a guy who will call and he has done several hunts with reputable outfitters and none went well
Sometimes I’d like to talk to those outfitters and hear the other side of the story. Failure is not always the guides fault.

Regarding flying in porters and a kitchen for a mountian Sheep hunt. Sheep are very sparse and spread over many miles,the logistics required to put on a Sheep hunt with one person can be daunting. The logistics and cost to put on a Sheep hunt if multiple flights and people are required would be astronomical. This is not Africa. Comparing it as such is apples and oranges.
Alaskan animals are not African animals. Comparing them as such is apples and oranges.
Your Zambia buisiness and logistics/costs/regulations/permitting are not the same as alaska. To compare such is apples and oranges.

I would never say I would sleep with one my clients. Unbelievabley unprofessional comment.
You say why turn away clients because of how they are. But you yourself say you will only sleep with the hot ones? How does that make the ugly ones feel. Yet me not wanting my gear to stink like cigarette smoke is incomprehensible?

Come on Jake, Fairgame is only kidding...he knows ugly girls need love too.

Jake, don't take this stuff too seriously. Cool

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Come on Jake, Fairgame is only kidding...he knows ugly girls need love too.

Jake, don't take this stuff too seriously. Cool

I am a Marlboro man.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I started my business I took the biggest complaints I had heard for the last six years of working for other outfitters and changed them for my business plan.

I do all my own guiding. I am honest. I do not have stinky or broken gear. I do not charge trophy fees for additional animals if it is incidental to the target specie. I run one hunt at a time. There is no alchohol in camp. I do things legally. I do not swear.

Perhaps someday if I become desperate I will change all these things just to run money thru the door and apparently make smokers happy? But until then I will run my business Based off the last 14 years of feedback from a few hundred clients. It is still no smoking. There will be no porters. I will not try to sleep with any of my clients. Your hunt will be the best Alaskan adventure I can make it. Not everyone’s gonna be happy, but I do what I can to accomplish that within the bounds of my integrity.

For those of you who have a problem with me, my business, my business practices, feel free to not do business with me. I do not have a monopoly of Alaskan hunts.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1395 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jake,

I had a really good fellow who was tracking up a Lion with me and the whole deal was very intense and we were very close. He told me to stop because he wanted to light his pipe. He sat on a log and puffed on his smoke and spoke about the landscape and the bird song.

Initially I was livid but then I sat down next to the old man and shared his smoke and his landscapes and the bird song. We talked for a long time and went back to camp and hunted the Lion an other day. The smell of a good smoke and later the 18 old Whiskey was fine.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I started my business I took the biggest complaints I had heard for the last six years of working for other outfitters and changed them for my business plan.

I do all my own guiding. I am honest. I do not have stinky or broken gear. I do not charge trophy fees for additional animals if it is incidental to the target specie. I run one hunt at a time. There is no alchohol in camp. I do things legally. I do not swear.

Perhaps someday if I become desperate I will change all these things just to run money thru the door and apparently make smokers happy? But until then I will run my business Based off the last 14 years of feedback from a few hundred clients. It is still no smoking. There will be no porters. I will not try to sleep with any of my clients. Your hunt will be the best Alaskan adventure I can make it. Not everyone’s gonna be happy, but I do what I can to accomplish that within the bounds of my integrity.

For those of you who have a problem with me, my business, my business practices, feel free to not do business with me. I do not have a monopoly of Alaskan hunts.

This post should be required reading for all African PHs.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and I’m happy you have a great memory. I also have good stories and great memories. We don’t all need to do things the same do we? Me doing it one way does not make anyone else’s way wrong or mine more right. We are just different. That’s ok.

My wife wants me to mention my kids chemical allergies and rashes they get from being around smoke as well. (They would no longer be able to ride in my truck or use my tents) But if folks here can’t understsnd not wanting stinky gear my kids rashes probably won’t hit s nerve either.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I ate better than I expected to when I hunted with Jake. That's no easy task for any outfit due to my onion allergy. (FYI practically every freeze dried meal has onion or onion powder in it so he fed me smoked salmon, eggs, bagels and cream cheese)

We saw 6 bears but luck was not on my side and I had no real shot opportunity on them. None the less, I had a great hunt.

I know of 2 guides this year who had hunts hampered by smoking and alcohol. One had a client who smoked like a chimney and couldn't walk to a stand 300 yards across flat ground. The other had a client who liked a "nightcap" and was so hung over every morning that they couldn't get out the door until 9-10AM every day. It's hard to put on a good, successful hunt with clients like that.

I had a guy here for beaver & mink trapping instruction who was so fat he couldn't climb up the creek bank. I had to tie a tow strap to a tree and dig pockets in the bank so he could get out. It wasn't pleasant for either of us.

Bottom line is Jake runs a good hunting camp with the emphasis on hunting.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not swear.

Perhaps someday if I become desperate I will change all these things just to run money thru the door

I'm trying to envision the scenario where that helps bring clients in rotflmo

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well some of these dumb responses written here are not new to AR. It’s crazy that anybody can compare a Alaskan fly in bush hunt to almost any African hunt. Oh by the way I have hunted the big 5 and have completed 16 Safari’s.
Most guys hunting Alaska can hardly carry their necessary pack let alone equipment to cook gourmet meals on a mountain or in the Tundra.
Why is it so hard to agree with a guy doing his job running his business and doing it his way. In case you don’t know Alaska is the true last real dangerous frontier. It may not have the danger as much from animals not to discount that but it’s weather, terrain, fly conditions have to be considered one of the most difficult places to hunt world wide.
Jake keep up the good work, stick to your guns and let the idiots ramble on, they don’t hold a candle to your abilities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now have one less grizzly bear hunt opening in 2020. Handful are still open.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Jake, your business plan was well thought out - your Alaska guiding experience should drive your model, just like an African PH's should drive theirs - as you noted, these are apples and oranges...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very interesting thread!

The day I can afford a guided hunt in Alaska I'll get in touch.

Posts: 70 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 19 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Jake is like a TV channel; if one does not like what's being sold on a Jake's "channel", one can
TURN THE DIAL!!! [as was said before every TV was remote controlled] Being booked into 2020 the
facts speak for themselves; Jake needs NO smokers NOR alcohol drinkers as CLIENTS. He clearly HAS
PLENTY O' CLIENTS ALREADY!

quote:
Originally posted by Indi:

In fact you cannot forbidden no one to smoke outside your camps I believe there is no law even in
the US that rules such a situation.

As to LAW about forbidding a client from smoking "out in the wild" so to speak, it's called A CONTRACT!
CLIENT MUST NOT SMOKE DURING THE HUNT AT ANY TIME AT ANY PLACE being part of the agreement
(CONTRACT) that the GUIDE has with the CLIENT, makes it LEGALLY BINDING, and the CLIENT could be
sued for "Breach Of Contract" if the CLIENT does NOT conduct himself as he agreed to. (long before the
money changed hands!!!)

quote:
Originally posted by Indi:
But to “ forbiden “me to smoke outside my tent or cabin in a hunt ??? That i really dont understand .
You may not allow someone to smoke in your house , in your car , even 20 meters from you , during
the stalk , but completely forbiden when in your area while we are not harming anyone but ourselves
is absolutely a fundamentalist atittude and i hate all kinds of fundamentalism.
And to connect the success of a hunt to smoking is also hilarious !
Anyway it seems that you are booked almost till 2020 which means there are a lot of clients that
dont smoke ya good for them and for you .
you don't respect me as a smoker but as i respect your outfit i wish you the best of luck .
All the best

Indi, I made your words BOLD above, you don't respect me as a smoker. STOP playing the
VICTIM like a darn DEMOCRAT!!! JAKE offers to guide any person who CHOOSES TO AGREE TO HIS CONTRACT.
If YOU CHOOSE TO AGREE TO HIS OFFERED CONTRACT then you have to NOT engage in certain activities
during the hunt. Hire someone else to guide you IF YOU CAN'T ACCEPT the terms in the contract
that JAKE offers.

I personally assert that it's quite audacious for a potential CLIENT to tell the owner of a successful
business, in the very assertive way that YOU DO, that said business owner should CHANGE his business to
accommodate a different group of POSSIBLE future customers!!! You running your mouth: "i hate all kinds
of fundamentalism.
", thereby saying JAKE is engaging in something YOU "hate" is further reason for you
to BACK OFF from the idea that Jake is a GUIDE that you could hunt with.

T.V. Character Ed Norton, played by actor Art Carney, once asked his angered friend, (Character
Ralph Kramden, played by Jackie Gleason) "Hey Ralph, mind if I smoke?" To which Gleason/Kramden
answered, "I don't care if YOU BURN." Link: Classic American Comedy...
Well you are NOT Ed Norton, and JAKE is NOT "Ralphy boy" Kramden…

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great story and I’m happy you have a great memory. I also have good stories and great memories. We don’t all need to do things the same do we? Me doing it one way does not make anyone else’s way wrong or mine more right. We are just different. That’s ok.

My wife wants me to mention my kids chemical allergies and rashes they get from being around smoke as well. (They would no longer be able to ride in my truck or use my tents) But if folks here can’t understsnd not wanting stinky gear my kids rashes probably won’t hit s nerve either.

You have a very fine reputation and I read and enjoy your posts.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose and good luck on your sales and apologies if I at all offended you.

I was going to say cheers but rather best regards.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Different strokes for different folks I suppose and good luck on your sales and apologies if I at all offended you.

I was going to say cheers but rather best regards.

Not offended at all, I believe what I believe not based off the opinions of others. There should be no offense to others disagreeing with us.

Best regards to you as well, I’d never wish anything bad on someone, I hope your business prospers and the days are filled with glint of Brass in the air.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

This post should be required reading for all African PHs.
Cal

Actually it should be required reading for everyone that owns a business. The world just might be a better place!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My two cents. I completely agree that a guide has the right to conduct his business as he desires. As others said, if a client does want to abide by the guides rules just find another guide. I smoke a pipe off and on but I can certainly not do so for a dream hunt. I'm a type 2 diabetic, so I do not drink. And in some cases I think most of us would agree that guns and alcohol don't mix well, notice I said some cases. A guide doesn't have any way of knowing what a client's drinking habits are. I applaud him for taking the safe route. But out of curiosity, how about chewing tobacco? Seriously.

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry I meant "does not want to comply"

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was leaving larsen bay a couple weeks ago. There was a group of four coming off the plane hunting with the same place as us. They were pulling cases of beer and a huge bottle of Crown Royal(who knows what else). The following week we were on the same plane back to SLC. I talked to one of the guys, out of the four of them, they killed one deer. Coincidence? I'm betting they weren't giving it all in the hills, as much as they were back at the lodge.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing Jake isn't in the wedding cake business rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo jumping

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I applaud Jake. tu2 And, I would hunt with him in a heartbeat! tu2 tu2

QUOTE: Try going deep sea fishing with a banana in your lunch box. They find out and you will swim home. Very superstitious bunch, marlin guides.

Heck, that's all halibut and salmon guides in Alaska as well! Not knowing, my daughter had put bananas in our lunches and they asked us right off if we had any bananas. When we said yes, it was off the boat to the farthest garbage container with the bananas. And, only then did we proceed. . . . . .and that's when I noticed the NO BANANAS stickers on all of the charter boats. Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with chewing. Just don’t spill your spit bottle in my tent lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no problem with chewing. Just don’t spill your spit bottle in my tent lol

This thread is probably doing a great job selling you hunts. I think it is great that you run your business your way, without apologies. I would absolutely hunt with you.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
It's a good thing Jake isn't in the wedding cake business rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo jumping

Jake could be hired though, to take "a modern" newly
wed couple on a HONEYMOON hunt... shocker

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not that I've smelled it since college days, but the smoking ban serves a dual purpose these days: you wouldn't want spilled bong water in your tent either. Some jerk in our dorm used to pour his out in the sinks and and outhouse smelled better.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of my employees was on a Delta flight recently; she emailed me that the guy next to her was spitting in a cup. I told her I would page the flight attendant ASAP. Not only is that the rudest crap it is also against Delta's policy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two baited hunts spots left and one late July/early August hunt spot open. The July spot is typically a great producer for bears. Hides aren’t as good as a spring or fall but we typically have good success on the July hunt.if your just looking for a brown and down, this is a good time. Blue berries are ripening and we hunt a salmon river valley where the bears work their way up and down the valley. They aren’t typically fishing as their isn’t much fish in the creek, just enough to keep the bears around. Shoot me a pm or text with any questions. Prices will go up after january 1.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of Jan 1. The 2x1 cost will remain at $10,000 per person. 1x1 cost will be $16,000

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

This thread is probably doing a great job selling you hunts. I think it is great that you run your business your way, without apologies. I would absolutely hunt with you.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You sure can tell it's the middle of winter and some guys have cabin fever!

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote