New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eastern Cape Special
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This hunt is designed for a party of four or more hunters. I am the US Agent for Kei River Hunting Safaris owned by Andrew Renton. The price quoted here includes all taxes, food, lodging, guide fees, area transfers, lodging, drinks, catering, laundry/maid services etc.

Not Included: Airfares from US to East London, RSA, taxidermy fees, shipping fees, airport meet and greet in Jo-berg, tips or excess baggage fees, non-hunting guests.

Hunt Special $2750 USD per person

1x1 guide for 7 days of hunting for:

1 Eastern Cape Kudu
1 Blue Wildebeest
1 Impala
1 Springbuck
1 Blesbuck or Mountain Reedbuck

Non-hunter $100 per day

This is a trophy hunt, not a culling safari. If you cannot come up with a group of four or more let me know and I will try to find people to round it out. However, I will not mix any groups without your permission.

I have many references and first hand hunting experience with this operation. I will be happy to furnish them to you. There are also several SCI hunt reports and others in The Hunting Report newsletter on this operation as well as my service. There are also past positive threads on AR.

I hope this covers the hunt adequately for the post, but I am happy to answer your questions anytime. I think this is one of the best offers going for 2009 - 2010 I have seen so far.

Thanks for looking, Wade Derby

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
925-679-9232

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To All,
I have been on 2 African hunts with Kei River thru Wade Derby. This is a first class operation. Andrew Renton will do everything possible to make your hunt a success. The lodge is first class, it was a very old ranch home that has been renovated. The food is top-notch as well. Andrew has access to numerous properties and the quality of animals is excellent.
Wade is one of the most honest and hard working consultants in the business and will bend over backwards to insure your success. Feel free to contact me is there are any questions.
Bill Davis aka Bo-Regard...

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks for your compliments and your friendship. Wade

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I know that Wade and Andrew are both very good at what they do and Andrew's camp is fantastic. This is about the best PG deal I have seen in a long while. What a perfect 1st safari or safari for someone wanting to hunt the Cape that hasn't before...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, sounds like a deal. Is the ranch high fenced?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments very much! Andrew has 38 different concessions to hunt. Some of which are game fenced, like much of South Africa as you know. Other areas are completely free range. I shot a 50 inch Eastern Cape Kudu and a 16.5 inch Cape Bushbuck totally free range about 30 minutes from Andrew's headquaters last year. He likes to go where he knows he can find the best trophies, and prefers stalking to truck hunting. I have hunted many of his areas and what you will not find is a hunt in a pen. Andrew's home ranch is probably the smallest area he hunts and it is over 4000 hectare.

As far as this first timer plainsgame special goes, it is a great deal, most places day fees exceed the whole package. I have 10 day packages with Andrew, as well as Rhino Dart specials.

Andrew offers a great diveristy of species, habitats and areas to hunt. He is also licensed in Namibia and Zimbabwe. His hunt is #15 on my web page. www.crosshairconsulting.com

I am happy to answer any questions anytime. Wade

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
This seems like a great deal. Question: what happens if no chance(s) at one or more of the animal(s) in the package present itself/themselves? How, if at all, does the price change?

TIA,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no price changes or refunds at that special rate. It is highly unlikely, given the species in the package are so plentiful, one would come up empty handed. A remedy would be something like this. No good blue wildebeast, but there are trophy black wildebeast everywhere. We would substitute one for the other. Quite honestly this has not ever happened, but we would work out an amicable resolution

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I didn't already have each of those in my trophy room, I'd be all over this offer.

But, since I already have each, I'll have to pass, but I sure hope someone takes you up on this. It looks like a really good deal.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update: I talked to Andrew this morning and the 4 person minimum no longer applies. He will allow me to sell this to 1 or more people anytime. I know it is largely a first time safari hunt, but I can do other packages for those of you looking for specifics as well. Thanks, Wade

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
What dates?

Where exactly does one fly into?

Can animals be added on a Trophy fee basis?

What other costs are incurred in trip? meet/greet/tranfers etc. etc.

I need to tell a couple buddies about this & 2nd question they'll ask is how much total $$$

Thanks

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to book hunts there until September. We usually go March through September but some people come during the off season. Bottom line answer, anytime, but some months are not recommended.

Meet and greet is optional but recommended in Jo-berg if you haven't been. Depending upon the service $50-$100 per person. There are no charter flights, you will fly commercially into East London, RSA. Sometimes this add on is free of charge through US consolidators. My airfare last year roundtrip from California was $1700 in April.

Yes, other trophies can be taken at regular fees. Extra days can be purchased as well. Fees are on my web page www.crosshairconsulting.com Hunt #15.

Other costs, tips for your PH, tracker and lodge staff. Tipping is highly personal, tip your PH what you can afford and consult first with your PH before tipping staff. For example a tracker may get $100, but your maid got $10. Tips need not be at all excessive on these hunts.

You will also have to pay for your taxidermy and shipping. This varies greatly and we could start our own thread on the pros and cons of how to deal with taxidermy/shipping/customs brokers and the like. Expect to spend a minimum of $1200 in shipping fees home. This is a very conservative guestimate. Other than paying these fees on my own hunts, I do not broker shipping and things like taxidermy. I do play your advocate still if we have a problem.

In all honesty problems can and do occur with shipping trophies. Rarely have I had issues with South Africa, but other parts of the world as well as our own US restrictions often serve to politely complicate things. In most instances we get things solved quickly. Some past examples, delays due to expired permits.

I hope this helps and doesn't scare you off. Let me know if you have any other questions. Wade

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question was asked, may I substitute a black wildebeest for a blue in this package? The answer is yes. If the animals are of the same value we can do it. Wade

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested. PM sent

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard Doug! Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mt. Reedbok can be substituted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any room in April 2010? Could warthog be taken instead of blesbuck? Thanks.

Posts: 294 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes x2, no problem. Wade

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
It seems like airfare from the states to East London is about 3 times the cost of airfare to Johannesburg!

Is this true? That's kind of a deal killer.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a $150 domestic add-on generally? Who is quoting you airfare? Wade

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Postoak, you made me curious so I called Custom Travel LTD and spoke to my travel agent. The leg to East London is free. Total flight from San Francisco is $1050 plus tax $450, total $1500 right now for travel next spring. Certainly not a deal breaker, but even a better deal. Wade

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking on that Wade! I went to Orbitz and it came up with $1200 RT Johannesburg and $3800 RT East London. But, I just tried to repeat that experiment and instead of $3800, I got $1400, so I guess I mispunched something.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Wade, what is this meet-and-greet in Jburg? How much does it cost, and do I need it?

Also, would you make an attempt to match up individual hunters like myself?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meet and greet is your option. If you have never been to Africa with guns, this service has proven to save time and be invaluable when dealing with firearms paperwork on arrival and departure.

I will be happy to match you up. You can come along with my group in April if you like. Wade

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cost is roughly $100 and it saves at least a couple of hours in my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
So it's someone who meets me as I get off the plane and helps me get onto the next plane to East London?

Are your bags, gun, and ammunition usually checked thru all the way to East London, or do you have to pick them up and get them onto the next segment of the trip?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, in the most simplified sense. However, you still must clear customs, pick up your firearms, declare your firearms, go out side the customs office to the SAPS office, get your firearm permit, and then go to the domestic terminal redeclare and check your firearms in another sub-office and then board your plane. It is simple, but very time consuming. Bear in mind, the flight will be loaded with hunters. It is better to have a service who has already secured your gun papers then to wait around, especially if you have a close connecting flight.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I will definitely purchase the meet-and-greet if I go.

I've sent an email to the address you have on your website.

One of Us
Picture of 7STDUBBERU
posted Hide Post
My bestest buddy Dougm58 told me to check this hunt out and it sure does look like a great deal. I have never traveled outside the good ole U.S. of A. and to be honest I have always been apprehensive about such travel.

An added bonus of this post is seeing Wade Derby is the booking agent. I just did a super smooth trade with him on another forum.

Hmmmm.. might be time to face my fears.

God Bless Our Troops

FU-AC

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, hope you can do it. Other than the flight, it is a great journey. I appreciate your endorsement very much.

One of Us
Picture of 7STDUBBERU
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like this is going to be a GO for me. I will call you on Monday Wade, I have a ton of questions. Thanks, Shawn

God Bless Our Troops

FU-AC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, thanks

One of Us
Picture of 7STDUBBERU
posted Hide Post
Well Doug secured our airfare today. $1425 total each. Not a bad deal, this is getting better everyday.......

God Bless Our Troops

FU-AC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy Holidays, this hunt was well received and the PH said to continue to offer it. So, once again bookings for 2010 are being accepted for this hunt. Contact me anytime. Thanks, Wade

925-679-9232
wade@crosshairconsulting.com
www.crosshairconsulting.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wade,

A few quick questions to refresh my memory on this specific hunt:

1. Is this package still being offered at $2750 USD$ for 2010?

2. Are the prices (for this outfitter) on your website current for 2010? (If they are not, please PM the new rates.)

3. What is the policy for species substitution?

Thanks.

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the package is the same as above at $2750. We are using the prices on my web site as the current ones, though the date does not reflect 2010 on Hunt #15. If the species is the same cost or less we can substitute. Otherwise, you can hunt for the package and add trophies at the listed trophy fee rates on my web site. I hope this helps clarify things. It is quite a good deal. Wade

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade,

assuming (yes, I know about ASS/U/ME) an opening is available late April or early May can you make me a rough quote on the following:
10 days and nights
Kudu
Oryx/Gemsbuck
Zebra
Impala
Baboon

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it does read great, now to get someone there to answer the phone, or return my Email, or even post the reply here...

I'm getting, as my Grandfather would say, "fidgety".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to be able to go to Africa in 2010 but, just for kicks could you tell me what 7 days of hunting for a zebra, a couple of baboons, and a couple of warthogs would be?
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote