New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking for an Early Season Rifle Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for an early season rifle hunt for elk. If anyone has ideas, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1282 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most early rifle hunts take a ton of points in a few states. There is an early rifle season in new mexico on some private ranches in unit 12 and a few other units. There is some good bulls in 12 but you will pay for a rifle hunt like that because your buying the tag and a hunt on a private ranch.

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt the Selway in Sep with a rifle; got an elk every time but my outfitter went out of business.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you give us more info such as size you are looking for and if possible, your budget? That will help a lot in what we can recommend.

This next stuff is assuming you want to spend money on a good bill. There’s good opportunity to buy tags in Utah and you can get a good sized bull but it would depend on your budget. The Western Hunting Expo is next month here in Salt Lake City and they will have auction tags but expect to pay a lot of money for one, but that would give you a chance at buying a tag that could put you into a 360+ bull. Personally I would look at some of the cwmu’s in Utah for immediate access to a quality hunt if you are wanting to spend some money as it would be a bit cheaper, but it will still be pricey. You will be in the 12-15k range for a decent hunt but if you’re not careful you could pay that for a chance at a 300-310 bull if you pick the wrong cwmu. Auction tags could go as high as 25-30k.

New Mexico would be my next choice but it wouldn’t be an early rifle hunt that I am aware of. Getting your hands on a voucher there wouldn’t be too difficult and then just hire an outfitter if you need. I’d be looking at hunting muzzleloader in New Mexico to get earlier access if New Mexico was the only choice.

Posts: 57 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back country rifle hunts start in September in MT. Realistically you need to hire an outfitter. Big Country lots of bears and wolves and fires from past seasons. This is not a DIY hunt unless you have stock and all the gear. Still doable to get a bull and you are hunting the rut. Wilderness areas not known for monster bulls. Good chance at a spike or branch antlered. Hunted the BOB Marshall last year and never heard a peep. Sign was minimal and we rode 15 miles back in.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Aaron Neilson. He had some July and August options in Colorado on depredation tags. You could shoot a bull in velvet which is pretty unique.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new mexico unit 12 on a private ranch would be around first week of oct. That time of year still has bulls talking. But you will be 10,000 plus for sure. There is some indian res hunts also in new mexico that time of year rifle but again they do cost.

Looks like a few choice to pick from but a few areas are just not what they were years ago.

Good luck I hope you find what your looking for

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of BrianA
posted Hide Post
Contact Sam Dieringer in Arizona. He put me on a 388 bull this past fall in a unit that AZGFD considers a "limited opportunity hunt" because of the relatively low elk population. You can probably draw an early rifle bull tag with 4 or 5 points.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil, how about a few more details and we can help you better. As has been mentioned, what type of bull are you seeking and what is your budget are two important questions, but also what type of elk hunt? Do you want a wilderness pack-in hunt, a ranch hunt or just a public land hunt? What weapons are you open to hunting with? I know you said rifle, but For September at least, most of the top options involve archery or muzzleloader, though there are also limited rifle options. I’ve hunted elk in every western state except Washington, at one time or another, so I definitely have some thoughts on this. Depending on your goals, budget and timeline, options may include New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Montana or Wyoming. If you’re interested in a rut hunt, don’t exclude October and Nevada comes into play, especially with a muzzleloader. Arizona is excellent but a very long shot without points, California has landowner permits for Tule elk, and Oregon and Washington are essentially a waste of time unless you have a specific interest and opportunity.

Tell us a bit more about your interests and goals and some good options can be suggested.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found my elk hunt at the Dallas. Utah in September.

Thanks for the replies.

TBD

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1282 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt hope to see a picture posted of a big bull

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who are you hunting with here in Utah and what Unit? I may be able to give you some insight.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Unit? Inquiring minds would like to know...

O
quote:
Originally posted by BrianA:
Contact Sam Dieringer in Arizona. He put me on a 388 bull this past fall in a unit that AZGFD considers a "limited opportunity hunt" because of the relatively low elk population. You can probably draw an early rifle bull tag with 4 or 5 points.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2845 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote