New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blued engraving
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a mauser sporter with engraved receiver, triggerguard, and floorplate german game scene (roe deer), but whole rifle has been re-blued at some point. I would like the engraving to be gray or silver with the background dark. I don't know how to explain , maybe another way to put it the high points gray, low points dark. I have heard of using grout cleaner and other acids but don't want to etch or pit the metal, any advice?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

Posts: 571 | Registered: 09 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I think you want a french grey finish. And maybe you want the engraving inked and baked. French Gray can be done a couple of different ways, IIRC.

Here's a thread:

https://engraverscafe.com/thre...-gray-techniques.84/

Search for French Greying instructions and I think you'll find some, maybe on Brownell's website with a list of required items.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply and the link

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

Posts: 571 | Registered: 09 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post