New
Find
Notify
Tools

English style on Colt SAA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 3rd gen Colt SAA 45 that I had Nutmeg sports put one piece Ivories on years ago. I have always wanted to have some engraving done, but, honestly find the typical "Colt" style to be a bit too over the top for me. I love Purdy style Rose & Scroll ... understated elegance. I happened on the Rock Island Auction sight and found a SAA article from 2018 that had pictures of an SAA that was engraved by L.Wright and was very nicely done in this style. I cannot find any traces of an engraver by this name on the internet. Has anyone heard of him, or know anyone that has done this style on an SAA that I can see pictures of? From everything I have read, most engravers specializing in Colt SAA's have certain traditional styles that they specialize in and might not be a good choice for a bit of "outside of the box" work. Any help appreciated! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee, have you considered contacting Les Brooks from here on AR. He is an elder engraver who is retired now but he might be able to point you in the right direction of another engraver. I agree that ivory stocks just beg for engraving on the piece to round it out!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a woman named Lynn Wright, maybe in Virginia?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1787 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I have a 3rd gen Colt SAA 45 that I had Nutmeg sports put one piece Ivories on years ago. I have always wanted to have some engraving done, but, honestly find the typical "Colt" style to be a bit too over the top for me. I love Purdy style Rose & Scroll ... understated elegance. I happened on the Rock Island Auction sight and found a SAA article from 2018 that had pictures of an SAA that was engraved by L.Wright and was very nicely done in this style. I cannot find any traces of an engraver by this name on the internet. Has anyone heard of him, or know anyone that has done this style on an SAA that I can see pictures of? From everything I have read, most engravers specializing in Colt SAA's have certain traditional styles that they specialize in and might not be a good choice for a bit of "outside of the box" work. Any help appreciated! Lee.

Lee,
Get hold of Roger Kehr (scrollcutter here on AR) I don't think there is a style out there he cannot do justice to.
John

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post