D.S.C.
22 December 2017, 07:06
srtrax
quote:
Somewhere a Pimp is missing his guns !

Smiler Smiler Smiler

23 December 2017, 01:58
Fjold
But, if it could be done to that level it could be done less. I imagine that the cost of the laser is pretty high but after that I wonder what the actual running costs are?

It becomes less of a physical skill and more about computer programming. It would still require an artist's eye unless they are just copying other people's patterns but the machine would do the actual work.

I wonder if manufacturers will offer factory engraving as another $100 option?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

23 December 2017, 07:24
CowboyCS
Setting aside the fact that the guy who did the programming doesn't understand scroll work. At first glance it looks like good engraving but on closer inspection it lacks the depth that hand cut engraving produces. It looks flat because the laser can't produce the "v" shape of the cut like a graver does and without that "v" cut the light won't be absorbed or reflected to give the 3-d/depth look that hand engraving produces.

Now that's not to say that this type of embellishment doesn't have it's place in the market, it does BUT I've seen very few machines in my life that can replace the human hand and eye especially when it comes to art.
25 December 2017, 16:58
max(hm2)
to answer franks question. smith and Wesson used to offer that service, I don't know if they still do. the last one I had done for a client was on the 500. total cost was about $130 if I remember right. it looked good on a stainless gun but it was obvious it wasn't hand engraved
08 January 2018, 06:43
MacD37
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Somewhere a Pimp is missing his guns !

................................. jumping old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith