New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project will need engraving
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to have a project engraved later when I get to that point. I'm wanting rose and vine _ I believe that is what it's called...English style engraving. I haven't decided on the amount of coverage but have an inkling of what I like.
Question: Do I give the engraver artistic run with a few guidelines or does one have the engraver draw up a real drawing. I haven' looked into one yet and have not even priced this yet...I need educated in the process.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve,
I've very little experience here, but when I had a project done, I looked at samples of the engravers work, picked out which styles I wanted where, and then we rough sketched the concepts on the metal with a permanent marker to get a feel for the layout.

The engraver then started by sketching the designs out and sent me the "proofs" for feedback. We made some minor tweaks and were underway.

Enjoy the process, and post pics when it's done!

Cheers,
Lee

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question Steve. As an engraver, I need to know one of 2 things regarding money and budget.
What's the budget? Then we can discuss coverage.
What's the coverage? Then we can discuss budget.

I do have a few ideas regarding engraving coverage drawings. Time is money. I would rather have my money going to the actual engraving. My advice...pick an engraver that you can trust to give you the job you want. Work out the details of the project, then give him the reins to do the job.

Photographs of work and coverage that you like help...a lot!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...that's actually a start cause I have no clue...but I'll get there.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will different engravers do engraving on same gun...
Question: Say I like the rose and vine from one engraver but like the way an other does lettering. Cash is cash...right?