New
Find
Notify
Tools

a 42 winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM with respect to having a couple of Model 42's engraved.

Excuse the poor typing.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your work is superb, thanks for sharing it. I am trying to get started engraving and wondering which tools you use. Do you use the GRS system or Lindsay's air graver, if so which one.

I made a engraving hammer and use the Lindsay sharpening system which works well if you have the time and strength to use it. I made a push graver holder and one to chase with much like the one Lindsay sells. My push graving technique seems to be pretty detrimental to the practice plates and down right hazardous. Chasing gives slightly better results but does not work well with my GRS vice. I think it needs to be done standing and being able to walk around the work.

I'm doing sort of ok in laying out and thinking that will get better as time goes on. I do need to settle on a good technique and tools that will allow me to get the control I need to scratch a little more precise. I have been thinking about the Lindsay Artisan as it is the cheapest of his offerings.

I'd appreciate any advice you may be willing to offer.

Thanks

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post