New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting to get into engraving?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Want to try my hand at some simple engraving?
Any suggestions on some hand tools or would someone have some they would sale

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact gas operation in Emporia Kansas they have all the tools and classes also. If you have never tried engraving the first step is learning to sharpen a tool so that it will cut, and you will be doing a lot of sharpening, especially when you are learning. I recommend a basic engraving class from another engraver or from GRS if you can afford it. It will teach you the sharpening, as well as the basics, and also let you try out the different types of tools and such

Joe

Posts: 61 | Location: Big Timber Mt. / Campbell NY | Registered: 27 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the advice i live 4.5 hours from grs ill check into there classes

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brave man. Good luck

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before that you need an artist's eye and high dexterity. Those would be something you are born with. If you have that then take classes as that will shorten the learning curve !

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that learning to sharpen your gravers is probably the mos important thing you need to learn because a poorly sharpened graver is nothing but pure frustration when you are first learning to engrave.

Now having said that let me tell about the the first couple months of my engraving experience. I apprenticed under a master gunsmtih and he taught me to hand sharpen...it was a very frustrating process because while he could tell me and show me how to properly sharpen a graver I must have tried it 1000 times before I got the first one correct and then it was probably another 100 more times before I was able to consistently do it properly.

Then I bought my first Lindasy template system and I've never sharpened a graver by hand since then, the consistency and repeatability of the Lindsay system makes life so much easier and better. Instead of spending so much time resharpening broken points till your eyes hurt and your fingers bleed you can spend your time actually practicing engraving.

http://www.airgraver.com/sharpening.htm
http://www.engravingschool.com...dsay%20Sharpener.htm

Beyond sharpening you will need graver blanks, a chasing hammer and a way to hold the material you want to engrave.
Chasing hammers can be bought for about $30.00. Graver Blanks are around $5-30 /ea. depending on what grade you buy. And you can make your own vice from a bowling ball and a drill press vice.

I'm near Washington Kansas, about 5.5 hours from you and if you would like you can contact me and I will let you come try-out my equipment and give you some basic lessons for free. At least then you will know if you want to pursue it further or not without spending any money.

I can teach you the basics of push graving, Hammer and Chisel and I can let you try-out my Lindsay Classic Airgraver.
http://www.airgraver.com/Engraving_Tools.htm

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GRS use to show up at the Tulsa Wanamakers Gun Show, but I havent seen them there. Its a big enough show you can miss something when you go. Wink They were there and they let me play for awhile. If I was younger I would love to learn how, as of now have to many arms in the fire also. I bet if you made an appointment you could play at the Kansas Plant/showroom. Great people to talk with...good luck!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice pm sent cowboycs grreat offer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
I agree that learning to sharpen your gravers is probably the mos important thing you need to learn because a poorly sharpened graver is nothing but pure frustration when you are first learning to engrave.

Now having said that let me tell about the the first couple months of my engraving experience. I apprenticed under a master gunsmtih and he taught me to hand sharpen...it was a very frustrating process because while he could tell me and show me how to properly sharpen a graver I must have tried it 1000 times before I got the first one correct and then it was probably another 100 more times before I was able to consistently do it properly.

Then I bought my first Lindasy template system and I've never sharpened a graver by hand since then, the consistency and repeatability of the Lindsay system makes life so much easier and better. Instead of spending so much time resharpening broken points till your eyes hurt and your fingers bleed you can spend your time actually practicing engraving.

http://www.airgraver.com/sharpening.htm
http://www.engravingschool.com...dsay%20Sharpener.htm

Beyond sharpening you will need graver blanks, a chasing hammer and a way to hold the material you want to engrave.
Chasing hammers can be bought for about $30.00. Graver Blanks are around $5-30 /ea. depending on what grade you buy. And you can make your own vice from a bowling ball and a drill press vice.

I'm near Washington Kansas, about 5.5 hours from you and if you would like you can contact me and I will let you come try-out my equipment and give you some basic lessons for free. At least then you will know if you want to pursue it further or not without spending any money.

I can teach you the basics of push graving, Hammer and Chisel and I can let you try-out my Lindsay Classic Airgraver.
http://www.airgraver.com/Engraving_Tools.htm

Very gentlemanly of you!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been beating my head against this engraving thing for two years now.
If you can't draw well it is a long row to hoe.
mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as it looks like something to do a I am not a artist.

So I don't even consider it.

Take a day and take Cowboy up on the offer it could be the best investment you make in time one way or the other.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have CAD, I couldn't draw a straight line. I'm not one to cower from doing anything, but I know my limitations. Engraving and Checkering are not going to be part of my resume'

Colin- very gracious offer! Kudos! tu2

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the best site to learn to engrave. WWW.engraverscafe.com It you log in you can view all types of engraving and a detail how to do section will be very helpful. I taught myself by reading on the subject about 35 yrs ago. The first thing to do is learn how the make the correct angles to cut the steel.

I wrote an article back 10 yrs ago on making your own tools to engrave. This info in on the internet to download free. Check on google for Engraver Tools to make by Les Brooks. The Engraver's Magazine printed the article. You can make all of your tools if you have a lathe. Pictures to follow if I can get them to post.

Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post

I made all of my tools in the shop.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ex was an artist on paper + w/sewing. I bought her an NGraver from Brownell's thinking that she could work from home + make some dinero.She did well on a Mossberg pump but her attempts on my S+W model 25 were a disaster.Different hardness I assume.Does'nt matter now as she sold the rig + ran off with the circus so to speak.I miss the loss of the machine as my oldest son is an artist as well + could have used it. I did get him another set up but he stays tied up with his welding business + that is where the faster money is.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post